Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

CPanther95 said:
The more press this gets, the better for the public. Dish has offered to release whatever confidential terms of the agreement - Lifetime has refused to do so. That tells you all you need to know.
What is tells me is that Dish Network is paying such a ridiculously low rate for the Lifetime channels they are afaid other customers would use this information to their advantage when negotiating future carriage agreements.

I tend to believe the folks at Lifetime Network; EchoStar has pulled similar tactics in the past and lack credibility IMO. Anyone who believe Charlie is not mostly at fault in this matter is simply ignoring the facts and Mr. Ergens well-established patter of behavior. Anyway, here is what is current on LifetimeTV regarding this matter:

HELP BRING DISH TO THE TABLE AND PUT LIFETIME BACK ON THE AIR. CONTACT DISH NOW AT CEOOFDISHNETWORK@DISHNETWORK.COM
OR 888-347-4881

We want you to know that we are reading every single one of your letters and emails expressing your concern that you or your friends and family can no longer watch your favorite women's networks — Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network — on DISH. And we want you to know how grateful we are to you for taking the time to tell us how you feel. We value our relationship with you above all else.

While we don't normally negotiate in the media or comment on the status of negotiations as a policy, we share your concerns and want to answer your questions. Unfortunately, there have been so many false statements made by DISH that we feel the need to set the record straight.

* First, DISH is spreading totally untrue numbers that distort and mischaracterize our most recent reasonable contract offer.

* Even though we are the two most widely-viewed women's networks, we asked only for a very modest increase, which would still pay us far less than what DISH pays for less popular networks.

* What DISH is not saying is that despite their having recently announced another rate increase to consumers, their only specific demand to us was for a drastic reduction in our rates that would inhibit our ability to produce the programming that you’ve come to expect from Lifetime.

* Lifetime offered a contract extension to continue negotiations, but instead DISH decided to pull the plug on millions of women viewers on New Year’s Eve.

* We were outraged by this action, but as some of you have noted, DISH and its CEO Charlie Ergen have a long history of just pulling the plug in the middle of negotiations. We've completed hundreds of similar, reasonable deals with cable and satellite distributors and have not had this problem before.

* Finally, despite DISH’s public assertions, they have not returned to the negotiating table.

riffjim4069 said:
What is tells me is that Dish Network is paying such a ridiculously low rate for the Lifetime channels they are afaid other customers would use this information to their advantage when negotiating future carriage agreements.

Yeah, that makes the most logical sense. :rolleyes:

riffjim4069 said:
* Even though we are the two most widely-viewed women's networks, we asked only for a very modest increase, which would still pay us far less than what DISH pays for less popular networks.
And again, what is that specific number and what constitutes a "modest" increase. Heck, everyone claims Charlie is playing games with his 79% figure, I could say Lifetime is playing the same game ("modest increase" according to who's perspective--their subscribers or the CEO?)
* What DISH is not saying is that despite their having recently announced another rate increase to consumers, their only specific demand to us was for a drastic reduction in our rates that would inhibit our ability to produce the programming that you’ve come to expect from Lifetime.
Would that me more wifebeater marathons or reruns where the tape is falling apart from constantly being replayed (both of which are likely a dime a dozen)?
* Lifetime offered a contract extension to continue negotiations, but instead DISH decided to pull the plug on millions of women viewers on New Year’s Eve.
OH NOES!!!!!! :eek: You mean millions of women viewers DIED on New Year's Eve because Lifetime was off the air?!? :eek:
* We were outraged by this action, but as some of you have noted, DISH and its CEO Charlie Ergen have a long history of just pulling the plug in the middle of negotiations. We've completed hundreds of similar, reasonable deals with cable and satellite distributors and have not had this problem before.
Maybe Rupert and the cable cos enjoy the "rear-end" action...who knows...

Is There Life After Lifetime?

Okay, I've been an avid watcher of Lifetime for quite a while now. In fact, that is the only reason that I got cable put in after moving back to Cleveland. But the fact remains, yes there is life after lifetime.
If the price is to steep - then run other movies or sitcoms on these two stations. We pay high enough prices for cable - we shouldn't have to pay any more to watch just one (2) stations.
Thanks
Louise Hayes
Cleveland, Ohio

I personally think this is a bunch of bull! We pay enough for cable and should not have to pay a penny more to watch one or two special stations. I can live without Lifetime!

riffjim4069 said:
...much more so than your belief in Mr. Ergen providing us with factual information.;)

If the terms of the contract are released, we don't need any faith in Charlie to tell us the truth - it will be there in black & white. For some reason (which everyone, but you, seems to know) Lifetime does not want those details released.

Dish Network...Bad, Bad, Bad

They did the same thing to SBS (Korean Channel) on October 1st. I waited two months for them to do something positive about a replacement channel but all dishnetwork did was replace it with finance and religious programs. I finally took down the dish and cancelled my programming and am saving $80 a month. I'm so happy to be rid of that satellite company.

I am sure the Ergens have C/Ku Band dishes up as well getting all the channels out there. They probably have a headend at their house.

pearl15_1999 said:
They did the same thing to SBS (Korean Channel) on October 1st. I waited two months for them to do something positive about a replacement channel but all dishnetwork did was replace it with finance and religious programs. I finally took down the dish and cancelled my programming and am saving $80 a month. I'm so happy to be rid of that satellite company.
no its not the same thing.. D* got an exclusive on the channel SBS cancelled e* not the other way around

Facts

The only FACT in this case is the FACT that Lifetime originally accused DISH of breaching their contract and ended up having to REMOVE this statement. How can anyone say that Charlie lacks credibility simply because he's refused other networks demands to either pay more or force us to piggy back garbage channels for an added price? Charlie may lack credibility for other reasons, but I fail to see the logic in this case.

The FACT is that Lifetime lacks credibility because they have apparently PUBLICLY LIED about this incident and were called on it and had to remove the statement. These are the only facts that we are currently privy to. Based on this apparent breach of ethics on the part of Lifetime (and obvious attempt at manipulation) I will not trust what Lifetime has to say about this unless they are willing to do as Charlie suggests and make the terms of the negotiations public.

This doesn't mean I necessarily trust what Charlie is saying either, but I have no FACTS (in this case) to back that opinion up.
based on earlier comments, I suspect Lifetime is saying they are asking for much less than 70% increase is a distortion of the facts as is likely Dish's claim of 70%. I suspect this is about carrying the Reality channel which when the cost of this channel is added to the cost of LTW and LMN and you also add in the rate increases of LTW and LMN it probably does add up to a 70% increase. In that case, they are both telling the truth but both are distorting the truth. It *sounds* much worse to say 70+% increase than to say 15% increase but want us to carry Reality that creates an effective increase of 70%. That's typical marketing (and politics).

Welcome to the spin-zone.

Note that this seems to be the reason for at least one of the recent contract disputes as well (Nick/NickTunes). If I remember correctly, Nick wanted Dish to Carry NickTunes at a 100 or 150 level so it would appear that Dish won in that one because it came onboard at the AT180 level. Frankly, if Lifetime is forcing Dish to carry another Lifetime network and it will be at the expense of another channel (at least until MPEG4, I thought bandwidth is pretty limited currently, no?), I'd rather keep the other channel. I don't need another Lifetime channel. Granted, there are some channels I wouldn't mind giving up, but not for a Lifetime channel.

I e-mailed Dish and Lifetime and pleaded with them to NOT bring Lifetime back to Dish. I have a real problem paying for anti-man "battered wife of the week" movies, so good riddance. The wife complained the day Lifetime was removed but she hasn't said a word since, it'll be good for her to quit watching that crap. So here's to Lifetime being gone permanetely! In my dreams right?

juan said:
This entire incident is probably Charlie's last Hurrah before he sells to ATT!!

Charlie will never sell E*, he enjoys the power too much. If he was going to get sell, he would not pick these fights, he would sign the contract and let someone else worry about it.

Chris Walker said:
Charlie will never sell E*, he enjoys the power too much. If he was going to get sell, he would not pick these fights, he would sign the contract and let someone else worry about it.
The more profitable a business is the higher the selling price. If you ever have watched a Charlie Chat its obvious he's done if you can compare them to the way they were done several years ago. The sparkle is gone from his eyes he no longer looks like he is having fun!!

juan said:
The more profitable a business is the higher the selling price. If you ever have watched a Charlie Chat its obvious he's done if you can compare them to the way they were done several years ago. The sparkle is gone from his eyes he no longer looks like he is having fun!!

If he was no longer having fun, he'd stop doing the chats. I think he's simply trying to be more professional now that E* is the third largest tv provider, hence the upgrade to the Charlie Chat set and a somewhat less hokey presentation.

Chris Walker said:
I e-mailed Dish and Lifetime and pleaded with them to NOT bring Lifetime back to Dish. I have a real problem paying for anti-man "battered wife of the week" movies, so good riddance. The wife complained the day Lifetime was removed but she hasn't said a word since, it'll be good for her to quit watching that crap. So here's to Lifetime being gone permanetely! In my dreams right?

Your comments could apply to ANY channel. People have choices (or should have) and don't necessarily watch ALL of a Channel. They pick and choose.

NOW, Lifetime is the only channel to carry reruns of UNSOLVED MYSTERIES--possibly the most popular show when it was running on TV! It is very valuable to help solve missing person cases that are STILL OUTSTANDING. It is as valuable as AMERICA'S MOST WANTED.

Before you make any snap judgements about the "Feminist" viewpoint being shoved into Lifetime, you must WATCH ALL of the shows ALL of the TIME. But nobody does, so.....

New to Dishnetwork and have a question...

Dash or dot on Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts