Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

Lifetime has more to lose than DISH. I don't know about their movie channel but the regular Lifetime channel gets revenue through advertisers. The more viewers they have, the higher they can charge for ads. When they lose 11 million potential viewers by being dropped by DISH they will feel the pinch in their pocketbook. They should be paying DISH to be in the the lowest programming tier which has the highest number of potential viewers.
Hold your ground, Charley and replace Lifetime with CSTV in on the AT60 package (don't tell my wife I said that :D )! If Lifetime wants more money, move them to AT180 and watch their advertising revenue drop.

We need to remember that this is not simply Dish vs Lifetime, this is Dish trying to hold the line on prices across the board. If Lifetime is able to shove a new channel and a 25% per year for 3 year increase down Charlie's throat, then a dozen other channels are going to step up and try the same thing.

What we need is for Rupert to have enough balls to stand beside Charlie and represent 27 million subs saying no to high rate hikes.

BrianMis said:
I don't agree with everything that Charlie does, but you have got to admit he's an excellent poker player.

Yeah, but he sucks as a CEO.

I think most customers know what they want and are willing to pay for what they want. I, for one don't need Charlie telling me "You can't afford this channel any more, so I am taking it away from you."

grb said:
I think most customers know what they want and are willing to pay for what they want. I, for one don't need Charlie telling me "You can't afford this channel any more, so I am taking it away from you."
YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED TO DO LIITLE HOMEWORK!! Look who is on the richest person in us list!!

grb said:

I think your missing the point of the entire debate. Tom in post #422 hit the nail right on the head.

Dish did NOT take the Lifetime networks away, Lifetime took the channels away. Without a contract extension Dish was legally obligated to remove those channels when they did. Dish asked for an extension prior to the deadline and Lifetime denied it. They played poker, called Charlie's bluff and lost. Were not talking about chump change here, it would be millions over the course of the next 3 years. I will gladly pay more for HD programming, but not for Lifetime.

Last edited:
JH1949 said:
Before the Family Pak price is carved in stone, why not raise its price and put the 2 Lifetime Channels there ?

Then as more channels come to the table to renew their contracts they would want the same treatment. Pretty soon instead of a $1.76 it will be 5.76 then 10.76. Where will it end?

JH1949 said:
Before the Family Pak price is carved in stone, why not raise its price and put the 2 Lifetime Channels there ?

I assume this is a joke. Lifetime would never be considered a "family friendly" channel by any carrier.

Chris Walker said:
Balls of steel, all I can say. This is hilarious watching these two companies fight, Lifetime's entire site is turning into Dish bashing "Dump Dish" "Dish hates women" "Dish deprives women of important woman's news".
:rolleyes:

If Dish really wants to make a point then add Oxygen and then say, to bad Lifetime you will not have the same place in our line-up ever again. Just be done with it. FoxSports was going to price gouge us and we caught them in the act. They was forced to give us the same rate as TW for 2 years. If Dish was getting a higher rate then everyone else then I can see there side of things but there not, truth is they probably get a better rate then us. To Dish: BITE ME !!! and grow one.

juan said:
YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY NEED TO DO LIITLE HOMEWORK!! Look who is on the richest person in us list!!

I didnt say Charlie wasn't wealthy. I said he is a lousy CEO because he uses his customers as pawns to get his own way. Companies that treat their customers this way tend to lose them...and their wealth.

They both took the channels away by not agreeing to the contract.

If Lifetime got its way with the increase then yes the other channels would require that kind of rate increase too. All of those rate increases would add up. 50 cents x 10 channels is a total of $5.00. Would you want your bill going up $5 a year just for the top 10 channels wanting a 25% increase per year not counting what the other channels would want? OUCH!!!

At the same time DirecTv announces no planned rate increases. Hmmm.

Long time lurker... first time caller...
I read the first 8-10 pages a few days/week ago, and until Tony's post... I was amazed at how much Charlie was being blamed and attacked, while Lifetime execs were given a free pass.
Here's my take... thank you Charlie!
Now... I guess in the past thirty pages(which I have no intention on scanning through at this point), it might have been brought up already.. but has anybody considered targeting the advertisers of the Lifetime channels?
Twelve million plus potential viewers is not exactly a drop in the bucket, especially considering how many times in this thread it was pointed out the popularity/ranking/viewership of the Lifetime channel.
And if this channel was so darn popular... then raise the ad rates! We're not exactly talking about a commercial free channel here.
Perhaps one the members who can still get Lifetime would like to start listing the advertisers in a thread. E-mail addys would be easy to find for the advertisers. Let the companies whom are affected also, know that you are no longer seeing their product on Lifetime.

Lifetime will just have to figure out how much they are going to lose on advertisement revenues waiting on getting a contract negotiated vs. the increase in rate that they wanted.

I guarantee charlie has re-opened negotiations with oxygen in the past week. From the start this has looked like it won't get fixed any time soon. Charlie just said yesterday that if it went on for a while oxygen would replace it. If he gave us oxygen he may off-set some of the stigma surrounding that price increase for the non-sports fans...

And you think the Time Warner Cable owned Oxygen do any favors for Charlies? Charlie may think going to Oxygen will give him the upper hand against Lifetime, but Oxygen has even more of a reason to screw Charlie. I seriously doubt Charlie will get a better deal from Oxygen than he will from Lifetime.

Sure they'd like to, but the CASH COW of Time Warner is Time Warner Cable. Gaining 12 million vewers for Oxygen won't make nearly as mucn money as 1 million more customers for Time Warner Cable. If what you are saying was true, OLN would be on Dish by now wit

TWC won't gain a million customers that want Oxygen and can't get it from E* (that they haven't got already).

They will happily sell Oxygen to E*.

New to Dishnetwork and have a question...

Dash or dot on Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts