Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

The difference is that Charlie has never removed Oxygen, they've never come to a deal. Oxygen is already on D* so clearly TWC isn't interested in only boosting their own subscribers. Most companies aren't that short-sighted...

Using the example...
If lifetime cost $1, and the difference between what E* was willing to pay and what oxygen wanted was $1 or less, we're much closer to a deal now. Though we got 2 channels from lifetime so perhaps if E* could get oxygen and save 30-50% over what it cost to have the 2 lifetime channels, they'll add it...

CPanther95 said:
TWC won't gain a million customers that want Oxygen and can't get it from E* (that they haven't got already).
They will happily sell Oxygen to E*.
Again, at what price? If they offered it to Charlie for 10 cents a customer, I'm sure he'd take it. Why would TWC offer Oxygen to a competitor for a better deal than they have to? If selling Oxygen was more important than Time Warner Cable to Time Warner, Dish would already have it becaue Time Warner would've given Charlie an offer he couldn't refuse. I highly doubt that any conversation that occurs between Charlie and Time Warner in the next week would be initiated by Time Warner. I'm just saying that Time Warner is in a much better position in any negotiation right now than Dish while this Lifetime dispute is ongoing.

I disagree. TWC realizes that if there's ever a time to come in and get a deal done with charlie, it's right now and it would be in their best interest to at least make a call. Even if nothing comes of it and charlie still low-balls them, it's worth a shot. Why would you turn down a golden opportunity to add millions of subscribers in dire need of women-oriented content?

In the Lifetime contracts, they state that Oxygen and We are not allowed to be below them in the channel line up. If Oxygen went in place of Lifetime, then what would happen to Lifetime if it returned?

cablewithaview said:
In the Lifetime contracts, they state that Oxygen and We are not allowed to be below them in the channel line up. If Oxygen went in place of Lifetime, then what would happen to Lifetime if it returned?

With Lifetime gone what is the issue? New terms...

cablewithaview said:

Those kind of terms only matter if the person you're dealing with gives a sh**.

If Lifetime wants to be below them, tough - I'd tell them to below me. :)

If Dish is replacing Lifetime with Oxygen then maybe Dish dont plan on adding Lifetime back (at least for a good while) until Lifetime gives Dish a sweet deal.

Right Stargazer, but who would be most likely to give Dish the better deal: the company that is a direct competitor with Dish or the one that isnt? Oxygen is a direct competitor with Dish because it's owned by TW. This is why vertical monopolies need to be intensely regulated if not outlawed.

This whole industry is out of control in so many ways that make it ant-capitalistic. I take Dish's side because they are rarely anti-competitive if ever.

cablewithaview said:

Then my eyes must be deceiving me because Oxygen is channel 251 on DirecTV and Lifetime is 252.

Lifetime wants Real Women to be added to the line up along with the usual yearly increase. The "unreal" increase is not no more than the usual on Lifetime and LMN but you add Real Women to it, that's another cost per sub. It's not an unreal amount, Dish just doesn't want to add it. I don't think Lifetime requesting Real Women to be put on is a big deal. It's not like it can't be added. Dish just wants to be an ass. Charge you more for less in the long run, more profit for them.

Stargazer said:
If Dish is replacing Lifetime with Oxygen then maybe Dish dont plan on adding Lifetime back (at least for a good while) until Lifetime gives Dish a sweet deal.

I'm just saying they should, I'm not saying Dish is adding Oxygen.

cablewithaview said:
I don't think Lifetime requesting Real Women to be put on is a big deal. It's not like it can't be added. Dish just wants to be an ass.

No. Dish just doens't want to be blackmailed into adding a channel. Lifetime wants dish to add a channel and dish may want to add the channel, but not at the terms Lifetime wants.

Think of it this way, if the local market you've been buying milk from refused to sell you milk unless you also bought cottage cheese at full mark-up, would you be an ass if you told the market to go to hell? That is what Lifetime is doing. Buy cottage cheese at full price (Real Women) to you cant buy milk (Lifetime). Dish told the market to go to hell.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
No. Dish just doens't want to be blackmailed into adding a channel. Lifetime wants dish to add a channel and dish may want to add the channel, but not at the terms Lifetime wants.
Think of it this way, if the local market you've been buying milk from refused to sell you milk unless you also bought cottage cheese at full mark-up, would you be an ass if you told the market to go to hell? That is what Lifetime is doing. Buy cottage cheese at full price (Real Women) to you cant buy milk (Lifetime). Dish told the market to go to hell.
See ya
Tony
Dish is going up $3, it would benefit them to add more to there line up. Think of it this way, the Top 60 as several shopping, paid advertisements and programming which earns Dish a percentage of the sale. That in reality earns them a good chunck of change. not only are they making more than enough money on the Top 60 they align the other channels in the 120 & 180 to get you to spend more money. Dish doesn't pay to much on programming in the top 60, but what gets me is some of those that are in the 120 and 180 actually would cost them more per sub then being in the basic (top 60). With that said, then why isn't Dish realigning them to be more cost effective to the consumer? They answer to investors. They recently went with the HD lite style and still taking the same amount of money from you.

Last edited:
Lifetime tells Dish at the market that you must buy the milk that is 1 1/2 gallons instead of 1 gallon and pay 25% more each year for the next three years for it. Dish says no, and we will find someone else to get the milk from. They do but raise the prices anyways.

The prices are being raised because the butcher made Dish buy bacon with the cold cuts last year!!!! :) The baker did the same thing with the bread forsing them to buy doughnuts! ENOUGH!!!

I ask the same question that was ignored in post 63:
"So what is the answer? Should Dish just pay every time and raise the prices more to cover the cost? Or should they do everything they can to keep the price they get charged down? Or does anyone really care as long as it doesn't affect them?"

See ya
Tony

Dish should haggle a bit for sure, but after 7 months of getting nowhere, you either pay up or drop the channel. They dropped the channel. Decision is made, ball is in lifetime's court now. Obviously lifetime either thinks we'll pay anything, or that we're in dire need of their content...

I don't know what's on oxygen but as long as they play a decent 80's movie from time to time i'll be just fine with it replacing lifetime...

cablewithaview said:
Lifetime wants Real Women to be added to the line up along with the usual yearly increase. The "unreal" increase is not no more than the usual on Lifetime and LMN but you add Real Women to it, that's another cost per sub. It's not an unreal amount, Dish just doesn't want to add it. I don't think Lifetime requesting Real Women to be put on is a big deal. It's not like it can't be added. Dish just wants to be an ass. Charge you more for less in the long run, more profit for them.

You started off making so much sense, then you blew it at the end. ;)

Why add another channel that nobody is asking for? The minute you do, that becomes a "real" cost - with the same annual increases attached as the primary two channels.

Fight this channel proliferation at every opportunity - and they have to pick the fights that won't hurt them to badly - this is one of them. The expansion of channels is radically faster paced than the expansion of quality programming. That's why we now have about a dozen Discovery channels, yet barely enough, from all combined, to fill Discovery's HD channel - which draws from all their channels.

New to Dishnetwork and have a question...

Dash or dot on Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)