Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network off Dish due to contract dispute

M Sparks said:
That's probably the "70%" right there. Say LMN costs 10 cents...now they want to force them to carry LRW for another 7 cents.
It's sad that they have fight over nickels, but they take it up the you know what from ESPN every year without blinking, and pass it along to us every year.
I don't support true a-la-carte pricing, because it would kill most of the small niche channels. But I would like someone to show some cajone's and stand up to the big dogs and set up some different kinds of "basic" packages. There's some talk of "family" basic, how about "no sports" basic. I don't mind paying a nickel here and a dime here for something I'm not interested in, because I know someone else is doing the same for me. But I do have a problem with paying 3,4,5 dollars or more for something I never watch, just because a bunch of pro sports thugs are overpayed.

I agree. I'd like to see more themed basic packages and a-la-carte that allows for limited multicasting as a concession to the programmers. (I.e. when you buy Lifetime you get all 3 channels of Lifetime, but the programmers can't force you to take completely unrelated programming.)

I dont think many are going to stand for much more of this crap, dropping channels and still say there has to be an increase in prices. Why didn't Dish Network dispute ESPN and some of the other ones that demanded such an increase in price like they doing with Liftetime?

To put the magnitude of this dispute in perspective...

The Top 15 Cable Networks by Rating

1 TNT
2 Nickelodeon
3 USA Network
4 Nick At Nite
5 Disney
6 ESPN
7 Toon Disney
8 Lifetime
9 Fox News Channel
10 TBS
11 MTV
12 FX
13 History Channel
14 Discovery Channel
15 A&E

Source: FCC Annual Assessment of the Status of Competition
in the Market for the Delivery of Video Programming

geez 5 pages for lifetime?

what do we got a bunch of women on here? this is supossed to be satelliteGUYS.us

you shouldn't give 2 sh!ts about this channel ;)

BFG said:
geez 5 pages for lifetime?

what do we got a bunch of women on here? this is supossed to be satelliteGUYS.us

you shouldn't give 2 sh!ts about this channel ;)

We can tell your not married. :)

It may be satelliteguys but when the wifes favorite channels go missing the husbands go into the Satellite Doghouse. :D

I figured out what Dish is going to do....they are going to lie about this whole thing and in Feb with the rate hike they are going to blame Lifetime. This below is from lifetimes site....

Dear DISH Network Subscriber,

Unfortunately, the DISH network has decided to violate their contract and take Lifetime Movie Network off the air. For more than seven months, we've worked hard to reach a reasonable agreement for DISH to carry both Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network, for a fraction of what they're willing to pay other less popular networks. However, they have refused an extremely modest increase (nowhere near the 70% they are claiming) that reflects the value of the two most popular women's networks and the #1 network among women in homes with satellite television.

We deeply regret the difficulty this disruption of service has caused our viewers. We hope to resolve this quickly and encourage you to contact the DISH network at 1-888-284-7116 to tell them of your dissatisfaction. We greatly appreciate your viewership and loyalty.

Last edited:
I have had a LOT of people ask about Lifetime when buying satellite systems. There is a HUGE demand for it. More than you think. They do play good movies too. This is a favorite among women.

I have read some other threads where some of the other in the top 10 in ratings demanded a large rate increase as well such as ESPN. What about those channels that lose some ratings? Do we get a cheaper rate for those? There would have to be a lot of those to make up for some of the increases of the others. I imagine if the ratings drop then they will still want at least as much as they did before or maybe a small modest increase and the ones that had a large increase will want to keep it the next time the contract needs renewed even if the ratings dropped since then.

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh, thanks for finding Lifetime's position that the 70% claim is BS. I think M Sparks may be right on with his speculation.

M Sparks said:
That's probably the "70%" right there. Say LMN costs 10 cents...now they want to force them to carry LRW for another 7 cents.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Its funny, Dish keeps dropping channels due to costs, yet they are raising their rates 4%, while DirecTV has all the channels Dish dropped and is not raising their rates.

Is something wrong with this picture?

i know you give a gift certificate to someone who mentions sat guys on the charlie chat, but i would be willing to pony up 20 bucks if someone could ask this question on the air.

Scott Greczkowski said:
We can tell your not married. :)

It may be satelliteguys but when the wifes favorite channels go missing the husbands go into the Satellite Doghouse. :D

I am happily married because there is no exposure in my house to programming that creates the suggestion of an issue that did not exist before a couch filled with "guests" started bemoaning ad nauseum about their own problems.

Lifetime, We and Oxygen are not tuneable channels in my house. :D

korsjs said:
i know you give a gift certificate to someone who mentions sat guys on the charlie chat, but i would be willing to pony up 20 bucks if someone could ask this question on the air.

I'd love to see someone ask this at CES..then on live TV on CC LOL.....I'd pony up my Xbox360..j/k

jsb_hburg said:
I am happily married because there is no exposure in my house to programming that creates the suggestion of an issue that did not exist before a couch filled with "guests" started bemoaning ad nauseum about their own problems.
Lifetime, We and Oxygen are not tuneable channels in my house. :D

I agree. My wife wouldn't watch all that victimization crap that these channels exude.

long_time_DNC said:
OLN had some enjoyable programming and there are a few programs being re-run on Lifetime that I did enjoy when they were on "network" TV

DNC: You just made me think of something. I would be upset (not necessarily p*ssd, though) IF D* dropped Lifetime (regular ch.) (movie ch., neh), because I love watching re-runs of "Will & Grace."

Hey...I still enjoy the 250th re-run of "The Golden Girls." It was still the best written sitcom of the last 25 years. Intelligent too. Can't find that in today's slapstick comedies.

New to Dishnetwork and have a question...

Dash or dot on Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)