Lifetime and LMN HD Channels

jimboeau

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Western WI
Not that I watch them much, but I did spend about 20 minutes tonight looking at these two new HD offerings. Both channels were showing a movie in true HD. However, both channels were more compressed than I've ever seen a Dish HD channel look. They were terrible.... artifacts and blurring was awful. They must not have their encoders tweaked right on these two channels yet. It looked like they were giving each channel about half the bandwidth they needed.

Just an observation.

Both of these channels employ stretch-o-vision. Hopefully Dish will settle with Rainbow and Voom to bring We HD onboard. Lifetime looks almost as bad as Food Network and HGTV.

Both of these channels employ stretch-o-vision. Hopefully Dish will settle with Rainbow and Voom to bring We HD onboard. Lifetime looks almost as bad as Food Network and HGTV.

Yes, lots of stretch-o-vision. Impossible for me to watch, the optical distortion makes me sick (truly).

Yes, lots of stretch-o-vision. Impossible for me to watch, the optical distortion makes me sick (truly).

Funny... I've noticed far more HD on these two channels compared to any other national HD channel launch. I've seen a few terrible stretch-o-vision broadcasts, but mostly when I check, I see HD on both.

Not being a fan of these channels, I wonder how the hell did Lifetime get so much HD content?

It's not about delivering a high quality product to their customer base, but rather creating the illuison of being the leader in number of HD channels...

Yes, most of the lousy PQ on the HD channels is due to the channel itself. I have even seem TERRIBLE film transfers on the MGM HD channel. It looked terrible, but not Dish's fault. How can MGM HD air the trashy transfers they have. MGM HD has no technical standards. On the other hand HDNET Movies is always great quality.

When a channel is showing old TV movies or TV shows, what do you expect to see from the PQ on an HD channel? And 5.1 audio as well? When they're showing Army Wives or Grey's Anatomy, or whatever else they show, then there's your HD. I could turn on any channel at 3 in the morning and bitch about the lack of HD. I think the reasonable hope, in today's TV universe, is that any network or cable channel have the majority of their primetime programming in HD.

Someone should start a "Deathtime" channel.

It could show:

- Dead Like Me
- Six Feet Under
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Angel
- Blade (movies & TV series)
- Dracula movies
- Zombie movies

I'm sure I've missed a lot of others...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)