Lifetime Gets Backup in EchoStar Spat

Van said:
Im sorry but what redeeming value does lifetime and its channels have to offer to the female members of our society? .

It's a tactic to try to get the public on Lifetime's side in this dispute

I don't really see lifetime Corp lasting much longer, but then again it is almost like a soap opera type movie network. Imagine what would happen if they pulled all the soaps off the networks....damn it would be WWIII.

ksload said:
Charlie is not going to move on this. If the ladies want TV for women and Lifetime does not move soon then Charlie will replace Lifetime with Oxygen, which is also television for women.
They shouldn't be mutually exclusive...we should have already had Oxygen in addition to Lifetime and LMN.
Nope, Oxygen has way too many reruns and it seems to have a commercial break every five minutes. They can keep that channel, thank you very much.

john262 said:
Nope, Oxygen has way too many reruns and it seems to have a commercial break every five minutes. They can keep that channel, thank you very much.

He can keep 'em both.

But in all fairness, I would like to see Lifetime returned. Then maybe, just maybe this would all go away.

Lifetime

I am sure that lifetime and the cable companys are in bed together. Its a win win situation for comcast. If they were willing to give Charlie the same deal that they are giving comcast he would jump all over it. Comcast wants:mad: charlie to pay through the nose so there bottom line is much better. I am glad thet charlie told them to shove it up there ass! Cable has to try every way possible to get the advantage over satellite delivered programming!

Lets see what rivotting Feminist value is being supressed by the Man today.

Time LIFE 108 programming for Thursday, January 12, 2006
12:00 AM Golden Girls Stan Returns
12:30 AM Golden Girls The Heart Attack
1:00 AM The Nanny Schlepped Away
1:30 AM The Division Murder.Com
2:30 AM Paid Programming
3:00 AM Paid Programming
3:30 AM Paid Programming
4:00 AM Paid Programming
4:30 AM Paid Programming
5:00 AM Paid Programming
5:30 AM Paid Programming
6:00 AM Paid Programming
6:30 AM Paid Programming
7:00 AM Denise Austin's Fit and Lite
7:30 AM Denise Austin's Daily Workout
8:00 AM Designing Women Marriage Most Foul
8:30 AM Designing Women Picking a Winner
9:00 AM Golden Palace
9:30 AM Golden Palace
10:00 AM The Nanny California Here We Come
10:30 AM The Nanny Ma'ternal Affairs
11:00 AM Will & Grace Grace O. Jack 2000
11:30 AM Will & Grace Love Plus One
12:00 PM Unsolved Mysteries
1:00 PM Unsolved Mysteries
2:00 PM The Wrong Girl
4:00 PM Designing Women Nashville Bound
4:30 PM Designing Women Oh, Suzannah
5:00 PM The Nanny Sunday in the Park with Fran
5:30 PM The Nanny The Gym Teacher
6:00 PM Golden Girls Grab That Dough
6:30 PM Golden Girls Three on a Couch
7:00 PM You Belong to Me Forever
9:00 PM Vanished Without a Trace
11:00 PM Will & Grace Field of Queens
11:30 PM Will & Grace Fagmalion Part One: Gay It Forward

Ok, I see "unsolved mysteries" and not much else.

could happen, over the last several years, the ratings have been plummeting.

ke4est said:
I don't really see lifetime Corp lasting much longer, but then again it is almost like a soap opera type movie network. Imagine what would happen if they pulled all the soaps off the networks....damn it would be WWIII.

from the press released issued by Lifetime on the 1st page of this thread:

“By removing Lifetime as an option for your subscribers, millions of women will not get the inspiration and support they need about vital issues such as breast cancer, heart disease, violence against women, economic equality and more,” the letter read.

Yep, in the scheduled you provided, I see alot of programming focusing on "vital issues"

Cyclone said:
Lets see what rivotting Feminist value is being supressed by the Man today.

Time LIFE 108 programming for Thursday, January 12, 2006
12:00 AM Golden Girls Stan Returns
12:30 AM Golden Girls The Heart Attack
1:00 AM The Nanny Schlepped Away
1:30 AM The Division Murder.Com
2:30 AM Paid Programming
3:00 AM Paid Programming
3:30 AM Paid Programming
4:00 AM Paid Programming
4:30 AM Paid Programming
5:00 AM Paid Programming
5:30 AM Paid Programming
6:00 AM Paid Programming
6:30 AM Paid Programming
7:00 AM Denise Austin's Fit and Lite
7:30 AM Denise Austin's Daily Workout
8:00 AM Designing Women Marriage Most Foul
8:30 AM Designing Women Picking a Winner
9:00 AM Golden Palace
9:30 AM Golden Palace
10:00 AM The Nanny California Here We Come
10:30 AM The Nanny Ma'ternal Affairs
11:00 AM Will & Grace Grace O. Jack 2000
11:30 AM Will & Grace Love Plus One
12:00 PM Unsolved Mysteries
1:00 PM Unsolved Mysteries
2:00 PM The Wrong Girl
4:00 PM Designing Women Nashville Bound
4:30 PM Designing Women Oh, Suzannah
5:00 PM The Nanny Sunday in the Park with Fran
5:30 PM The Nanny The Gym Teacher
6:00 PM Golden Girls Grab That Dough
6:30 PM Golden Girls Three on a Couch
7:00 PM You Belong to Me Forever
9:00 PM Vanished Without a Trace
11:00 PM Will & Grace Field of Queens
11:30 PM Will & Grace Fagmalion Part One: Gay It Forward

Ok, I see "unsolved mysteries" and not much else.

Wait, you mean I missed Fagmailion Part One?

I think the issue-comment is dealt with via commercials no? Like mini-PSA's during the shows? Plus most of these shows have had "serious" shows about serious things...

But let's get something straight. Lifetime has posted numbers, Dish hasn't. They aren't under contract any longer, so Dish has no reason not to post numbers...

Lifetime is on the offensive and it's showing...

They both have posted numbers, but confidentiality agreements extend beyond the duration of the contract. Lifetime mentioned nothing about the LRW requirement in their release, and only mentioned the first year's price increase (why not the rest?).

E* has stated that there's a 76% increase (presumably for all 3 channels), but most importantly offered to waive any confidentiality so that the full terms could be released. Lifetime has responded by only releasing the price increase for 2 of the 3 channels - for 1 out of the 3 years of the contract.

I think the womem should all IMMEDIATELY burn their bras in protest :devil: .
It would also be value added if HDNet is there to provide coverage :up .

David_Levin said:
I think the womem should all IMMEDIATELY burn their bras in protest :devil: .
It would also be value added if HDNet is there to provide coverage :up .
[flamesuit]
Have you seen the women that watch Lifetime? I dont want to see them braless! :eek:
[/flamesuit]

korsjs said:
A coalition of women’s advocacy groups has banded together to publicly demand for the return of the Lifetime network to EchoStar’s DISH Network.
In an open letter to EchoStar chairman Charlie Ergen, representatives from more than 50 organizations, including the Ms. Foundation for Women and the National Organization for Women, called for DISH Net to bring back Lifetime, which was dropped by the operator on Jan. 1 after the programmer’s carriage deal expired.
The letter, which was also signed by no less a luminary than Gloria Steinem, ran as a full-page ad in the Wednesday morning editions of The New York Times, The Denver Post and the Rocky Mountain News.
In the Times, the letter ran alongside a full-page ad from Time Warner Cable, calling for area subscribers to “Switch from Dish Now.”
The gist of the letter is that in denying women access to Lifetime and the Lifetime Movie net, DISH is also denying women information about a number of social and health issues.
“By removing Lifetime as an option for your subscribers, millions of women will not get the inspiration and support they need about vital issues such as breast cancer, heart disease, violence against women, economic equality and more,” the letter read.
The letter went on to charge that Ergen’s “drastic, unnecessary actions and unwillingness to restore Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network to the air and to continue working toward an agreement” suggest that the EchoStar chief does not “have women’s best interests in mind.”
EchoStar said that the standoff with Lifetime stemmed from the net’s demand for a 76 percent increase in its license fee for both networks, as well as a proviso calling for carriage for a third service. Lifetime continued to deny those claims Wednesday; a spokesman said that the net “asked for a modest increase for both Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network, amounting to four cents per subscriber per month for both channels.”
In addition to the ad campaign––which is actively sponsored by Lifetime––women’s groups have held rallies in Greenville, S.C., and Houston calling for the network’s reinstatement.
Both sides say that they are back at the negotiating table, although EchoStar continues to stick to its rate increase claim, adding that it would gladly go public with the terms of Lifetime’s original proposal, should the net waive their joint confidentiality agreement.
Last week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Ergen blasted Lifetime, saying that in his 25 years in the business he’d never encountered “such an outrageous demand for payment... from a contractual point of view.” He also said that Lifetime had grown as avaricious as ESPN, which he characterized as the “most greedy” network.
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/cabletv/article_display.jsp?vnu_conten t_id=1001842680

what bunch of useless blather..Goria Steinem?...Puhleeze.Dish is not denying anything to anyone. The agreement with LT expired making it illegal for Dish to carry the service.....if some women feel they cannot survive without these channels let them go elsewhere for their daily dose of "kill your husband" and "victimology "prgramming....

Van said:
Im sorry but what redeeming value does lifetime and its channels have to offer to the female members of our society? Further what practical and pertinant enformation inregards to health and medical issues does either of these channels offer that you wont find on discovery health, discovery, and TLC for that matter? In all that times that Ive had to unfortunately watch either of these channels I have never ever seen any health related programming geared towards womens health. What I have seen are movies that are critical of the male gender portraying them often in negative shadows, the psycho blonde room renter, and the bad kid.

"What I have seen are movies that are critical of the male gender portraying them often in negative shadows"....

Exactly why I call it the "kill your husband channel"...BTW my wife hates LT and never watches the dopey female victim movies which all seem to star Meredith Birney.
My thnking here is LT has a massive production cost issue and is attempting to push that on to subs..OR they think their service is so vital that they can charge whatever they want OR they want ESPN money.......Tell ya what, the latter ain't gonna happen.....ever......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)