Lifetime Television Severs Talks with Dish Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Stargazer said:
I will say what I have said before. Dish not keeping Lifetime and LMN because of them wanting an increase and Dish saying that they would have to increase rates even more is one thing, but to have the competition have the same price on programming when their rates increase as what Dish does while keeping Lifetime and LMN is another. Consumers dont care what kind of deals the companies make, they care what the better deal is for them. Lifetime knows this. DirecTv even has Lifetime Real Women to boot. The consumers are not going to see the dropping of Lifetime and LMN as a benefit to them if their prices are going to increase anyways and if they are adding channels to replace them that DirecTv already had. You would have to add channels that DirecTv does not have to replace them with. As a matter of fact you cannot receive the channel that supposedly replaced it unless you upgrade your package now beyond AT60.
Good point. I think this will also hurt Dish for adding new customers. One thing I always do is see which channels you get when I look into getting a new service from cable/dbs. In the short run... lifetime will lose money over this.. garannteed. But Disney owned content is widespread and they have alot of muscle.. too much muscle. Disney will retaliate in future contracts... I just hope the feds step in when they do. This story to be continued and dish has a uphill battle ahead.

Just to remind everyone that Disney is NOT the controlling partner in this channel. Hearst is. Hearst is the one doing the dealing and they left Lifetime hanging in the wind when they signed a carriage agreement for the broadcast stations with Dish.

See ya
Tony

Listen at the end of the day if revenues are not up at the Lifetime division heads are going to roll. New management will come in and if the channel is still not on E* a contract will be negotiated.
Hearst programming looked at the odds and decided not to get involved with this dispute. They did not tie in their local channels into a Lifetime renewal contract and decided to get a contract individually.
Hearst has given Lifetime enough rope to hang themselves. Lifetime will have to rectify the E* situation soon because at the end of the day earnings will be down. A lot is riding on this chess match and without the local channels, the public outcry will be less than previous battles like the Viacom dispute where channels like CBS were pulled.

Thank goodness I loaded up my DVR with Golden Girls reruns on LifeTime before the end of the year. I don't know what I would do with my Golden Girls.

;-)

I just tried to call dish, tried 4 times, busy signal each time.

Sounds like there call center may be over loaded with questions and people down grading or asking about other options.

You think it is bad now..... wait until 2/1 hits and everyone tries to jump the line to get their 211/622s first....

rtt2 said:
Listen at the end of the day if revenues are not up at the Lifetime division heads are going to roll. New management will come in and if the channel is still not on E* a contract will be negotiated.
That may be.. but I don't see that happening for a couple of years. Now that E* has allocated LMN funds for Oxygen.. I don't see that slot being filled by LMN anymore.. I still think that Lifetime channel itself could fill in the remaining slot.. but it looks like these guys are not going to the table for quite awhile. We got some egos cooking away at this point. Dish announced that the remaining slot will be filled by the end of the month.. thats not long away. I don't see Lifetime coming back within a week either.. I think Charlie is structuring his prices for the next couple of years.. The AT60 is already frozen for two years. The point is.. I don't see room for Lifetime now for at least two more years. At that point.. Dish may pay more to get those channels back or some kind of compromise will be made. But I don't see these channels coming back for a long time now. Unless for some reason a half million subs unplug Dish but I highly doubt that will happen. In the coming months, we will see how much Dish will suffer over this and how much Lifetime will as well.. I think its a given that Lifetime will lose immediately in the shortrun... They have no choice but to discount advertisers and they have lost millions of carriage fees effective Jan 1.
The thing that does not make sense is Lifetimes statement that they would not be able to provide good content if they excepted Dishes offer. But now that they get ZERO... zilch... nada.. what does that do to them? And all along we never really know what lifetime wanted when you add that third channel they were trying to force feed us. In my mind.. this whole mess just proves that the whole bundle model is badly broken. I don't really see this getting any better. I think more channels will get locked into others.. and content providers will prevail in the end.. because thats the trend.. just look at the rate hikes in the last 10 years.. The content providers are winning.. big time. And the only constant variable to this whole mess is that our rates go up. Eventually, prices will get so out of hand, that subs start to disconnect.. I see that happening already with cable.. If that trend continues we may see content carriages stablelize.. But I think it will take an act of congress to put a lid on it.

TNGTony said:
Okay, let me put a stop to this misconception:
Channels removed from Dish in 2005/06:
Nationally:
Basic
----AT Packages
Bingo TV 12/8/05 (All Subs) (Out of business)
Lifetime 12/31/05 (AT60) (Contract Dispute)
Lifetime Movie Network 12/30/05 (AT120) (Contract Dispute)
OLN 10/26/05 (AT180) (Contract Dispute)
Reality TV (10/5/05)(Channel ceased operations in US and some programming bought by Fox Reality) (AT180)
----Dish Latino Packages
XHDF TV 13(Azteca Mexico) (DishLatino) (Contactual agreement at the insistance of Azteca)
International
MBN (Korea) 11/9/05
SBS Korea (10/2/05)
BVN TV (Dutch Channel)
Regionally
Empire Sports (Channel Ceased Operations 1/21/05)
Fox Sports Pittsburgh 2 (Upstate NY) (Added earlier in the year)
Daystar National in cities with affiliates
Channels added 2005/06
Nationally
Basic...

-----AT Packages
The Pentagon Channel (AT60)
Holistic Television Network (AT60)
NFL Network (AT120)
Oxygen (AT120)
BBC Radio 1 (AT 120)
College Sports TV (AT180)
International Music Feed (IMF) (AT180)
ESPN U (AT180)
Fox Reality Channel (AT180)
Fine Living (AT180)
KBS World (international channel available to all with a dish at 121
-----Dish Latino
Azteca America (Dish Latino)
ESPN Deportes (Dish Latino--espn was removed from DL at the same time but still available in AT packages)
Canal Uno (Dish Latino)
Television Dominicana (Dish Latino)
(La Academia is a temporary PPV channel)
HD Channels:
9470 RAVE
9471 Equator
9472 Gallery
9474 Animania
9476 RUSH
9478 ULTRA
9479 Guy TV
9480 Majestic
9481 Monster HD
9482 HD News
NFLHD (part-time channel)
Internationals
American Desi, a South Asian channel
South Asia World
KINO, Polish channel
Sirius Music Channel Shade 45
Asia FM
ProSieben
RAI Radio
African Broadcasting Network
Video Italia
Leonardo World
Bridges
Telesud
Zee TV Guijurat
Alpha Punjabi
Trace TV
Sahara
Melody Arabia
Alter, a Greek channel
Radio Italia
Radio Italia Anni 60
Aajtak (India News Channel)
Headlines Today from India
JSTV (Korea)
WOWTV
B4U Music
Abu Dhabi TV
Subscription Business Channels
Traders Television Network (hese guys will buy you a superdish if you subscribe)
CLH
Regionally
FOXP2 (Upstate NY) removed later in the year
CSN Chicago
MSG Network (Upstate NY)
Locals
KRWG TV 22, PBS affiliate from Las Cruses, NM
KQUP, UPN affiliate in the Spokane TV Market
WSRE PBS Mobile, AL
WBMM Daystar affiliate Tuskegee
Gainesville Florida locals
WMPN PBS (for Merridian, MS)
WEVU-CA 4 UPN Ft. Myers, FL
KSWOD Telemundo Wichita Falls
KMOH, Spanish Independent station in Phoenix, AZ
WBIF UPN in Panama City, FL
WZRB UPN in Columbia, SC
Abilene / Sweetwater ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and Telemundo
WTVY CBS in Dothan available to Panama City
WLAE PBS in New Orleans
Billings Montana locals
WTJR religious channel in Quincy, IL
KSCE TV 38, Religious TV station from El Paso
Rapid City, SD local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS
Twin Falls, ID local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and PBS
Eirie, PA locals
WMUR TV 9 Manchester, NH is now available to Boston Area
KDUH, ABC affiliate in Scotts Bluff, NE (Cheyenne, WY TV market)
KKJB America One affiliate in Boise Idaho
WSJP and WPRU channels 7787 and 7788 are now available to Puerto Rico
KPCB TV 17 (TCN) Snyder, TX (Abilene / Sweetwater TV market)
WVUT TV 22 (PBS Vincennes, IN)
Fairbanks, AK locals
WYDN (Daystar) Boston area
Bismarck, ND local NBC and PBS
Casper, Wyoming local ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS
8299 Gavel-to-Gavel Alaska is now available in the Fairbanks TV Market
Juneau, AK local ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS and AK Gavel-To-Gavel
Great Falls, MT locals
San Angelo locals
WAHU TV 27 in Charlottesville
WCTV Thomasville (Tallahassee) is now available (ANON) to "Significantly Viewed" areas in the Albany, GA
WJLA, WUSA and WRC Washington, DC are now available (ANON) to "significantly viewed" areas in the Baltimore area
WRTV and WTHR from Indianapolis are now available to "significantly viewed" areas in the Terre Haute TV market
KTBS and KMSS from Shreveport, LA TV market are now available to "significantly viewed" areas in the Tyler,TX TV market
KSAT and KENS from San Antonio, TX TV market are now available to "significantly viewed" areas in the Austin TV market
WLII channel 11 Univision in Puerto Rico
Jackson, MS ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and WB+ national PBS (6217-6221 and 6210) are now available in Wilkinson and Amite counties in Mississippi
WCYBD channel 7619 (WB) TriCities
WTOKD channel 9305 (Fox) Meridian, MS
7173 WPXX,50 "i" Mempnis
7196 KXNE,19 PBS Sioux City, IA
7244 ,KTAS,33 Telemundo Santa Barbara, CA
7297 WUND,2 PBS/UNCTV (Edenton, NC) Norfolk, VA
7322 WOUB,20 PBS (Athens. OH) Huntington/Charleston, WV
7358 WHBR,33 CTN (Pensacola) Mobile, AL (also reported by GS)
7457 KNLJ,25 Rel Columbia, MO
7472 WKBS,47 Cornerstone Johnstown/Altoona, PA
7515 WHTV,18 UPN Lansing, MI
7589 KCOS,13 PBS El Paso
7607 KQIN,36 PBS Davenport
7697 WPXL,26 "I" New Orleans
7815 KMCT,39 Rel Monroe,LA
7881 WGNM,64 UPN Macon, GA
7944 KPTB,16 Rel. Lubbock, TX
8142 WQEX,16 America's Store. Pittsburgh, PA
8157 WTVE,51 Ind, Philadelphia. PA
8278 WVEN,26 Univision, Orlando, FL
8284 WLCB,45 FamilyNet, Orlando, FL
8309 WATC,57 FamilyNet, Atlanta, GA
8361 WPTO,14 PBS (Oxford) Cincinnati, OH
8412 KLDT,55 Ind. Dallas, TX
8416 KPXD,68 "i" Dallas
8462 WTIU,30 PBS (Bloomington) Indianapolis
8623 KHCV,45 ShopAtHome Seattle, WA
8640 KTFK,64 Telefutura Sacramentio, CA
8642 KSPX,29 "i" Sacramentio, CA
8785 WWDP,46 ShopNBC Boston, MA
8797 KUSI,51 Ind, San Diego
8845 WGEN,8 Ind, (Key West) Miami
8930 KRSC,35 Edu Tulsa, OK
8957 KUVE,46 Univision Tucson, AZ
8976 KNXT,49 Rel, SP, Fresno, CA
8991 KNCT,46 PBS Waco, TX
9022 WGCB,49 Rel, Harrisburgh, PA
9038 KBLR,39 Telemundo, Las Vegas, NV
9117 KFPX,39 "i" Des Moines, IA
9133 WNYB,26 TCT Buffalo, NY
9179 KGPX,34 "i" Spokane, WA
9194 KSMS,67 Univision, Monterey, CA
9201 WHDF,15 UPN Huntsville, AL
9239 KSMN,20 PBS (Worthington, MN) Sioux Falls, SD
9264 WSIU,8 PBS, Paducah, KY
9318 WVLR,48 CTN Knoxcille, TN
KUPT LP 14 in the Lubbock TV market UPN
WVLR TV in the Knoxville area
KPXG, channel 22 in Portland Oregon
WJAN-CA 41, in the Miami area
--------------------------
So please stop this crap that Dish drops channels but doesn't add anything.
See ya
Tony

I could not of said it better myself!!

samatha6 said:
But I can see even the most basic packages hitting 60 dollars in a few years time if something is not done with how content providers are extorting with bundling models.

Count on it.

You can also count on the industry reminding everyone that the cost per channel has actually gone down - so it's a good thing! :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts