Limit # hoppers not under contract?

I didn't think the system allowed 4 Hoppers, but someone figured out how to make it happen.
The excuse E uses is MOCA bandwidth but 4 Hoppers obviously use more bandwidth than 2 H 1 SJ.

If all Hoppers and Super Joey are Cat5 connected to the router I would think MoCA not even used and no bandwidth issue then, right?

Actually, I doubt they'd activate it. Best chance might be prior arrangement with DIRT for the experiment- that way you don't waste any money or effort.

Well I took the risk of trying to activate two and three Hoppers and all it took to activate them was a quick online chat.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Well I took the risk of trying to activate two and three Hoppers and all it took to activate them was a quick online chat.

What is a chance it will not work by design because Dish says you can have just one Hopper with a Super Joey. For example their software design will not allow it to function with two or more Hoppers in the system.

What is a chance it will not work by design because Dish says you can have just one Hopper with a Super Joey. For example their software design will not allow it to function with two or more Hoppers in the system.

That is one of the things I do not know. I remember when I started out with three Hoppers, the older firmware would randomly drop connections to other Hoppers, only showing two Hoppers at a time, different pair each day. I reported it to DIRT, got the usual "three Hoppers not supported" but they said they'd report it to their engineers. A firmware update was released just a few days later and they saw each other without issue.

That is one of the things I do not know. I remember when I started out with three Hoppers, the older firmware would randomly drop connections to other Hoppers, only showing two Hoppers at a time, different pair each day. I reported it to DIRT, got the usual "three Hoppers not supported" but they said they'd report it to their engineers. A firmware update was released just a few days later and they saw each other without issue.

IC, thanks. One of them just don't know tell you try it I guess.

3dHaloODST and charlesrshell -

Have you tried stress testing your environments? Something like each hopper playing recordings from a remote hopper for both live and PIP, with all the Joeys going at once. Maybe using OTA streams if available. Just curious how far it can really be pushed.

3dHaloODST and charlesrshell -

Have you tried stress testing your environments? Something like each hopper playing recordings from a remote hopper for both live and PIP, with all the Joeys going at once. Maybe using OTA streams if available. Just curious how far it can really be pushed.

No, never have tried that, but I can. Do you mean each Hopper play a recording from another Hopper thru the drop down menu? I have OTA on all four Hoppers. Do you mean all the Hoppers and Joey be watching OTA with PIP? What would all this stress might cause? Lockups of some kind, router go crazy?

Right. Try loading the MOCA. Vivek said that it was the MOCA that prevented them from having 2 Hoppers with a SuperJoey. But remember, for Dish, they want a CONSISTENTLY reliable experience with all streams at max. So, it could work just find with only 2 streams in the MOCA 1. at all time or there about or at lesser bandwidth requirements. The issue for Dish is that it MUST perform with MAX streams or the company CAN'T stand behind it, so the lower bandwidth of MOCA 1. as the limitation makes sense.

Has any one heard anything about Dish using MOCA 2. for next gen Hoppers, etc.? MOCA 2. provides aprox. Gigabit network, and that should easily provide for multiple Hopper and SuperJoey installs on the SAME network.

Right. Try loading the MOCA. Vivek said that it was the MOCA that prevented them from having 2 Hoppers with a SuperJoey. But remember, for Dish, they want a CONSISTENTLY reliable experience with all streams at max. So, it could work just find with only 2 streams in the MOCA 1. at all time or there about or at lesser bandwidth requirements. The issue for Dish is that it MUST perform with MAX streams or the company CAN'T stand behind it, so the lower bandwidth of MOCA 1. as the limitation makes sense.

Has any one heard anything about Dish using MOCA 2. for next gen Hoppers, etc.? MOCA 2. provides aprox. Gigabit network, and that should easily provide for multiple Hopper and SuperJoey installs on the SAME network.

All my Hoppers and Joey are attached to my router by each having their own Cat5 cable. My Hopper/Joey system is in all Ethernet mode, no Bridging. In this configuration I don't think there is any MoCA stuff going on. Am I correct? I am going to try to stress test my system later today.

All my Hoppers and Joey are attached to my router by each having their own Cat5 cable. My Hopper/Joey system is in all Ethernet mode, no Bridging. In this configuration I don't think there is any MoCA stuff going on. Am I correct? I am going to try to stress test my system later today.

DVR sharing is still done through MoCA.

I haven't stress tested my setup but I never have any problems (other than the usual Hopper issues that everyone else has, most of the time fixed by a reset.) I also use around 60Mbps through a HIC in reverse while sharing recordings and it never skips a beat. The MoCA 1.0 has around 300Mbps to spare. OTA is 19Mbps at the most. Sat is way less most of the time. So it would take around 15 OTA streams at a time to saturate the MoCA network.

DVR sharing is still done through MoCA.

I haven't stress tested my setup but I never have any problems (other than the usual Hopper issues that everyone else has, most of the time fixed by a reset.) I also use around 60Mbps through a HIC in reverse while sharing recordings and it never skips a beat. The MoCA 1.0 has around 300Mbps to spare. OTA is 19Mbps at the most. Sat is way less most of the time. So it would take around 15 OTA streams at a time to saturate the MoCA network.

OK, thanks. Where do you see all them there Mbps readings? Some kinda program or test equipment?