Limiting movies searches on Dish DVR

rlareau

Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Hi all,I've had no luck finding any information here yet, so here's a new post. I'm trying to figure out a way to easily search for upcoming movies on Dish. The problem is that the searches include all movies, regardless of whether I subscribe to the channel, and they are sorted by time rather than title, so you get the same movie listed several times. The very long lists are nearly impossible to browse.I'd like to just run a search that results in a list of titles of movies on channels that I subscribe, excluding PPV. Anbody got a trick to get that to happen?Thanks,Rich

Use the Sling interface--now that is working again. You can look ahead for now, the rest of the day, or 9 days and limit your channel selection to the types you want and only see those you subscribe to.

BTW, it is possible to program more than the 96 normal limit but then you cannot add any more from the box. Be warned the quality ratings are different. I look for 3* on the box but must also look at the 2.5* on Sling. I use IMDb for the final decision and for director and more info.
-Ken

Great question. How do you lock out channels? Also I find that is duplicates movie entries like ch 9945 and 300 for example. Any way to stop that too?

I'll have to try out the online scheduling.

Menu 5, 2 for locks. Lock everything you never want to see (most of it). Then lock the system and hide locked channels, PPV, etc. Then your search - even in the sling-guide (from my understanding) will just show the channels you don't have locked & hidden. But from the satellite it will show duplicate movies (though the list will be a small fraction of what you saw before.)

A better way, like KKlare said is to use the remote access feature. Login to your dishnetwork.com account and select remote access and then type in your search there. You can also filter out things you don't want to see on that site, generes, particular channels, etc. The results only show a movie listed once for each channel, not multiple times in the next 9 days. It's much better searching with your keyboard & mouse than the dish remote.

Here's a link I use (though I registered for the site and saved my username & password, so I just have to click on the link to start searching now):
DISH Remote Access Login

Click on the 'Later' tab, select Movies after you setup the filter and even HD only if you like.

A word of caution with the Locks. Locking out 94xx channels or any others means that if you have an EHD or other old recordings made on those channels you cannot access them until you give the pass code, each time. In fact, you cannot even see the titles. This makes the transition painful. This is what turned me off to using locks to block unwanted/duplicate channels. I like using the low/map-down numbers--it makes a compact and organized set compare to the scatter in the 9400s.
-Ken

This post is off topic, but still:
I'd recommend sticking with whatever channel group you start with. To transition from the 9000 range to the 100's range is a pain when it comes to recordings and locks. It took me about 6-9 months to phase out all of the recordings from the 9000 channels after I switched and locked them. I'm happier with the genre grouping of the lower channel numbers - so it was worth it. But not being able to read the title of the recording on some locked channels was no fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts