Line of Sight

Status
Please reply by conversation.
(t)=true as opposed to magnetic.

if you're using the compass you want to use the magnetic value.

true north is the direction towards the north pole, the end of axis around which the earth rotates.

magnetic north is the direction towards the magnetic north pole, one end of the earth's magnetic field.

the two poles are not in the same place, thus the difference.

I got it. So if using a compass the az(m) is what you need. Makes perfect sense thanks!

Can I ask someone a favor. I am not on my home PC and was wondering if someone would look up the satellite locations for Mars, PA. I don't know the zip code off the top of my head. I live closer to Mars than the original zip code I gave. Even though it's not my zip code I think it would be better to use.

Thanks

wantogetstarted said:
do i need to use the El listed on the charts when i go to calc the distance away i have to be in order to clear an object

Eh! Yes?

I guess that wasn't very clear.

When you use SatFinder it produces a list. One column is labeled El (Elevation?).

Then when I go to that program to calculate how far away I need to be from something to still get a line of sight do I use 40.1 (The value that is assigned for Pittsburgh) or the value from the charts or some combination. It would seem to me the further a satellite was east or west the farther back form an object you would need to be. Maybe not.

Does any of that make sense?

Thanks!

Yes you have to use the elevation for each individual satellite, as listed on the satfinder program!

Your true south satellite is you zenith and will be your highest satellite, as you move east and west the elevation decreases! (So you would have to be further away from obstacles!)

wantogetstarted said:
I should not use the Pittsburgh Elevation but the elevation from the Satfinder program for each satellite.

QUOTE]

YES!

Thanks! That's my plan for this week-end. Figure out as best I can with sats I should be able to pick up. If I a get a decent amount I'll start planning out my system! I can't wait. I am so jealous of you guys that already have them!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sadoun Motor giveaway

Issue On using the receiver in INDIA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)