Line of Sight

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This can't be right. I live in Pittsburgh so I plugged in 40.1. There is a building that is 40 feet high in front of me (That's a guess but on the high side) and that comes up I only need to be 48 feet away from it? Is this right? Doesn't seem like it could be.

If that is the case I might be ok.

If I post a few pics (later today, don't have my camera with me) could someone tell me if I have anyhope at all of getting anything? My neighbor has a D* so I know something can be seen. I have a feeling you will tell me I have no chance but I would like to know. If that is the case, I'll have to convince the wife to move :)

Make yourself an inclinometer, real easy to find out if you have a clear line of sight!

The pictures will also help :)

Ok, please don't laugh. I think this is a bad line of sight but I just wanted to check. The photos start out facing almost due east and go around to almost 100% west.

Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 111
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 112
No way I can put it on the roof. I wish but it can't happen.

I guess I'll try to make one of those things and see what kind of results I get. I'd feel better if I could get a professional to take a look. Can anyone recommend someone from the Pittsburgh area?

Your trig ( or chart ) is correct. To clear 40' height with a 40 degree angle you need to be 48' away. Assuming that is your south angle , all the other angles will be lower so you def want to scope out your end points too. If you are further away then the situation is improved and the chance for a good signal increases. Good luck and welcome.

OK, I guess what I need to know is where all the satellites are located in the sky in relation to my position on the ground. How would I go about doing that?

Before I explore setting up a system where I am at I want to know if it is even worth it. I just assumed I had no chance at all with my line of sight but maybe it's not as bad as I thought.

PSB,

You gave me a list of the satellites the other day. Thanks! I guess what I need to know is can I take that info and then determine where the signal would be coming from in the sky? Is that possible?

Sorry, for my ignorance. This is all pretty new to me and I am bad with geometry and angles and all that crap. :confused:

It is really easy to make that angle tool, I used a piece of 1/2' pvc on top and glued the printed image to 1/4" plywood, string and a nut.
It works great!, thanks for the link Pete.

Attachments

• angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 108
wantogetstarted said:
PSB,

You gave me a list of the satellites the other day. Thanks! I guess what I need to know is can I take that info and then determine where the signal would be coming from in the sky? Is that possible?

Sorry, for my ignorance. This is all pretty new to me and I am bad with geometry and angles and all that crap. :confused:

Just get a compass and look at the Satfinder listing Pete gave you. For each sat it says "Az(m)". That is the heading you need for a line of sight to that particular bird. Then, if there is an obstruction measure the distance to it and estimate the height and plug it into the BJ Homesat calculator they gave you the link to. You should now have a good idea of your line of sight.

Then there's the less scientific approach...

I set this up last night (see pix) to get a reference point for 99 degrees. I used an old dish and my deactivated Bell receiver to figure out where 91 and 110 were and marked them with some high precision tools (2 lawn rakes) :p

From this in a very rough sense, I was able to determine that 99 is roughly perpendicular to my garage. I have a void between my house and my garage where the air conditioner is that would fit a 6-foot dish and it would be pointing in that 97-101 range (yet to be determined).

I used that LOS calculator link to determine that my 11-foot cedar won't be an issue. I'm so pumped to realize that a C-band dish is not completely out of the question.

Whatever works for you I guess ;)

Attachments

• Findingsat1.jpg
    Findingsat1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Findingsat2.jpg
    Findingsat2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 134
W_Tracy_Parnell,

My cub scout master would be pround of me. I almost forgot all about being able to use a compass and the azimuth to find an object in the sky. And I thought I'd never use that stuff. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)