Install new version of TNAP?

mr3p

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 1, 2010
West
Took a break for a few months and forgot how to do everything. Maddending. Can someone remind me how to update or add a new version of TNAP? I downloaded TNAP 4.2 zip file from legitfta although can remember or figure out how to install :rolleyes: On that same note, can someone point me to instructions on how to multiboot or load different E2 versions?

Took a break for a few months and forgot how to do everything. Maddending. Can someone remind me how to update or add a new version of TNAP? I downloaded TNAP 4.2 zip file from legitfta although can remember or figure out how to install :rolleyes: On that same note, can someone point me to instructions on how to multiboot or load different E2 versions?
Per El Bandido:

Multiboot is easy to install using PLi based images. The method for this is simple:

(1) Make a folder named "downloaded_images" on the root of usb drive or on the root of hdd.
(2) Move the Zipped multiboot image(s) that you want to install into the folder that was made in step one.
(2) Using the receiver's remote, Press Menu, Setup, Flash image, then press Ok.
(3) Select Downloaded Images, and again press Ok.
(4) You should see the image that you downloaded, which begins with North America. Highlight it and press Ok
(5) Select a slot number, then press Ok

This should start loading the image in the slot you selected. I would select an empty slot so you do not write over what you already have. IF you want to use slot one, make sure to entirely backup the image before you overwrite so as not to lose anything.

Follow instructions on the screen while loading the image. You should be asked to input your video (1080), and then exit any other setup questions. This image should run when you finish installation.

Reactions: mr3p
Thank you. I added OpenPLI to a slot for the fun of it although honestly not sure of the advantages/disadvantages. It looks like it migrated my setting from TNAP While I haven't added any plugins from default, do they both use the same repository or source for plugins? I need to spend a day reading through old threads to get back up to speed.

Reactions: primestar31
Thank you. I added OpenPLI to a slot for the fun of it although honestly not sure of the advantages/disadvantages. It looks like it migrated my setting from TNAP While I haven't added any plugins from default, do they both use the same repository or source for plugins? I need to spend a day reading through old threads to get back up to speed.
TNAP is based on OpenPLI. Your settings will only migrate, if when going through everything, you do a "restore with backup" in a slot. You need to read all the options carefully, and decide which one you want. It's possible that a "restore" could corrupt an new image.

So far everything seems to be working normally. I would have thought for TNAP the blind scan setting low end started at 3800MHz and not 3500MHz? Its minor but just an observation. I'm guessing there's an option to change the default.

There's plenty of sats out there that still broadcast on the lower frequencies. It's only American sats beaming to the US that are moving frequencies higher for 5g.
Call me crazy but isn't the point of "The North American Project" E2 version to be geared toward American sats? If not why not just use OpenPLI?

Reactions: arlo
Call me crazy but isn't the point of "The North American Project" E2 version to be geared toward American sats? If not why not just use OpenPLI?
Nah. EB has worked with Edision to get the best tuner drivers that work the best for blindscan.
He got it pretty good too. Kudos to him.
Geared towards? The satellites.xml file is complete. For me I'm able to get sats from 40E-133W.
So my file is trimmed of everything either side of them. Makes cycling through your list of receivables easier.
Good thing. At least ka band sats. are purged from the xml.
Don't use pli. Ok. Not foot stomping. Do it if you want to. You'll just find a nicer and feature rich experience if you at least try openvix. Or openatv.
TNAP sits almost never used. I was a big user of openatv 6.3, 6.4 and now 7. Ver.7 has previous bugs worked out and plays nice with the mio receivers.
ViX. My new go-to. Tried 'em all one by one. PurE2 is a mess. Menus mimicking Kodi but a ton more cluttered.
TNAP is very nice. Still kinda' a 'training-wheels' version of Enigma 2. Good for us guys 'over-here'. Europe has been using Enigma 2 versions for years. Nice plugins available for them to make for a good viewing experience.

Hey Arlo, Thanks for the info. Since a lot of the feature set is over my head, is there a difference in blind scan functionality between the say TNAP and OpenVix? I'd like to think I can make my own satellite.xml file or export one from one version to another so just trying to understand advantages of TNAP without any disrespect to the developer

Hey Arlo, Thanks for the info. Since a lot of the feature set is over my head, is there a difference in blind scan functionality between the say TNAP and OpenVix? I'd like to think I can make my own satellite.xml file or export one from one version to another so just trying to understand advantages of TNAP without any disrespect to the developer
Let's see how wordy...or granular I can get on the subject.
Most any image I try. If I do a blindscan and sat charts are. Let's say. 3980, 30000.
Results can show as 3978, 29999. No biggie. LNB drift? Tuner differences? I dunno.

I do what you hinted you would like to. Take your blindscan results for a sat. They are in the temp directory. And are volatile. When you reboot the receiver, they are gone.
You can surely FTP them to offload them from the receiver. Then the fun begins.
Open the blindscan .xml file in notepad++. Open your etc/tuxbox/config satellites.xml file in notepad++ too.
Move one to a new instance. Then arrange them side-by side. on your desktop.
Scroll to the receiver's xml for the sat you just blindscanned.
Got me so far?
Compare the blindscan with your receiver satellite/tp listing. Differences?
Copy that new line from the blindscan file. Exactly. No extra spaces, etc. Exactly.
Put your cursor at the end of the line of the receivers xml where you wish to enter the copied line.
Hit <enter> on your keyboard. You have a new blank line. Paste (ctrl-V) the copied line into the blank space.
Verify it looks entered exactly like the previous and next line.
Do as many as you like. Then save the file. The FTP (Filezilla) window will alert you to changes. Yup.
This satellites.xml file can be stored on your pc as a backup. I put mine in dated subdirectories like:
C:\Temp\Satellites_XML\040423\satellites.xml.
Reboot the box, restart GUI. Future blindscans can be hastened up. And readily copied into a new image if you install one.

To answer the core of your question. I use tvrosat charts. Pretty updated for the usa. If there are any differences now in blindscan results. Yes. no, maybe? The 4 MHz spacing issue seems to be minimal in Vix.
But I quickly plugged in the xml file, transferred my E-Channelizer bouquet list, and a few other trixx like opening the enigma2/settings file and pasting my tuner nims lines into it then saving into a new image of ViX, atv.

Gosh. I wouldn't think EB would take any offense. He's done a great job and is brilliant. Take your new receiver out of the box and watch satellite in a very short while. That's the whole idea. After using other images-a-mundo, some aspects seem a little 'klunky'. Probably not if that's all you use and have ever used.

Scenario:
I have a Zgemma H7 upstairs. I wanted to use it as a client of my mio4k. Just a wireless connected, no coax connected receiver. Kind of like you do with a pc and webif and VLC.
ViX has client mode configuration 'in your face' and had it running in a few minutes.
OpenATV, pretty much the same.
I was kind of stupid because I didn't read the fine print. Could only receive channels on the transponder the mio was tuned to. Figured it must be the image. So I started to "roll" them.
PureE2, pli, openblackhole, opendroid. Hated them. But got a taste of them.
A lot of techs say that if you have a piece of equipment and you have to read page after page of a manual to do the simplest things. You know the rest.
To me (said it before) ViX, Openatv. Put a TV remote on the coffee table. Put a dishnet, etc. remote beside it.
And your HT system remote there too. Put the mio there and show the wifey how to change channels and satellites. Go grab a 12 pack at the store and come home. She'll be happy with a few questions.
Without you having to remap the whole remote control to work like the TV remote does.
Because some Sinatra wannabe braintrust decided to map the video format, bouquet (satellite) selection buttons to the flush handle in the bathroom. And did it his way.
All I had to do was put the mio in standby and all channels come in on the client receiver.

You can open this in notepad++ and take a peek of my satellites.xml for awhile back.
Compare it to what you have on your box.

Attachments

• satellites.zip
    11.1 KB · Views: 116
mr3p

Make two folders in the usb stick, or on the drive you use with the receiver if you want to catch scan logs. Name one folder Blindscan, and the other folder ServiceScan. Spell them EXACTLY as shown. Else, scan logs will be sent to /tmp of the receiver. The /tmp folder in the receiver is cleaned on every reboot.

Use Notepad ++ to view the resulting .xml files. Notepad++

Reactions: Brct203 and mr3p
The Edision has an 8 Gb Flash chip. Each multiboot slot is 2 Gb in size so enough for 4 multiboot slots that are already partitioned from the factory.

This is to encourage Edision users to take the plunge and update to TNAP5. It is stable and there are good reasons to update.

My Mio+ box is now more of an entertainment centre than just a satellite receiver. It handles streaming very conveniently, if that's important to you. With my 1 Gbps Internet service, it is to me. One convenient plugin called Freearhey allows you to easily create bouquets of streaming links so you can record anything you can stream for later viewing. And these bouquets are categorized so you can easily find streams of interest. Bouquets I created include Auto, Business, Science, Comedy, Entertainment, News, Music, Pluto TV, etc. 24 new bouquets created in all in one session.

My use of my Edision doesn't include C-band since I don't have a dish for that so I can't comment about that functionality. I recently reviewed lyngsat to decide if C-band is important to me anymore. After I ignored religious and Spanish-speaking channels, I found there is almost nothing unencrypted on C that interests me which I can't get in other ways. I'm not a big sports watcher. There are lots of live news and other feeds on Ku on 129W, 103W, 99W and 87W.

Support for TNAP5 is excellent via legitfta.com. Other improvements I've experienced include Positioner Setup and OTA SNR reports to allow best positioning of your OTA antenna. Everything I use it for works.

I've become proficient at using Filezilla to ftp files as necessary to and from my Mio+. This is an important skill when using an enigma receiver. But there is even an easy-to-use plugin called Filebrowser that assists with this.

This is to encourage Edision users to take the plunge and update to TNAP5. It is stable and there are good reasons to update.

My Mio+ box is now more of an entertainment centre than just a satellite receiver. It handles streaming very conveniently, if that's important to you. With my 1 Gbps Internet service, it is to me. One convenient plugin called Freearhey allows you to easily create bouquets of streaming links so you can record anything you can stream for later viewing. And these bouquets are categorized so you can easily find streams of interest. Bouquets I created include Auto, Business, Science, Comedy, Entertainment, News, Music, Pluto TV, etc. 24 new bouquets created in all in one session.

My use of my Edision doesn't include C-band since I don't have a dish for that so I can't comment about that functionality. I recently reviewed lyngsat to decide if C-band is important to me anymore. After I ignored religious and Spanish-speaking channels, I found there is almost nothing unencrypted on C that interests me which I can't get in other ways. I'm not a big sports watcher. There are lots of live news and other feeds on Ku on 129W, 103W, 99W and 87W.

Support for TNAP5 is excellent via legitfta.com. Other improvements I've experienced include Positioner Setup and OTA SNR reports to allow best positioning of your OTA antenna. Everything I use it for works.

I've become proficient at using Filezilla to ftp files as necessary to and from my Mio+. This is an important skill when using an enigma receiver. But there is even an easy-to-use plugin called Filebrowser that assists with this.
actually one drawback I'm seeing with TNAP 5 compared to 4.2 is the positioner setup... For some reason on TNAP 5 it's giving the SNR in dB only in integer increments, while it's otherwise giving at least one decimal (on the main screen or on the Signal Search screen). On 4.2 the positioner setup displays the SNR in dB with a 0.01 resolution. Not sure what the actual accuracy is in 4.2, but for positioner setup, I'd say that a 0.1 dB resolution should be a minimum

I'm running TNAP5 now. I did have some issues with recording but it's working OK now even though I'm not sure of what fixed it.

Reactions: primestar31
I spoke too soon. I only got 8 minutes of a 30 minute scheduled recording tonight using TNAP5.

...For some reason on TNAP 5 it's giving the SNR in dB only in integers...
I noticed this right away. But it doesn't bother me. I only receive one transponder where I need more than whole integer resolution. That's LPB on 87W. In most cases, 0.5 dB this way or that doesn't visually matter. In fact, I've been using USALS lately for this reason.

Perhaps precise tuning is also important for Montana PBS on 99W.

actually one drawback I'm seeing with TNAP 5 compared to 4.2 is the positioner setup... For some reason on TNAP 5 it's giving the SNR in dB only in integer increments...
I brought this to el bandido's attention. He has sent an image showing Positioner Setup displaying two decimal places! So let's hope we can get this too in the near future. I already have a new pre-release of software that allows displaying of a signal even if not yet locked. This is great for dish aiming while looking very weak signals.