Inaccurate description of receiver on e-bay results in unnecessary purchase

polgyver

Creative Tinkerer
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 21, 2010
Toronto
Some of my friends asked me to buy for them newer satellite receivers as their favourite broadcasters moved to HD and they were unable to scan and watch their programs on their older receivers.
I tried to help them and searched e-bay for inexpensive SATELLITE receivers.
I ordered one of them, but the seller shipped to me instead a TERRESTIAL receiver (in its title - description - it had the word "satellite").
This e-bay seller still advertises (wrongly) his item as a satellite receiver.
What should I do?
I am willing to send him back this terrestial receiver, but he does not offer such an option.
Instead, he offers $5 as a compensation (?)
cheers,
polgyver

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 1.58.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-20 at 1.58.30 PM.png
    398 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 12.40.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 12.40.31 PM.png
    746.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 12.43.57 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 12.43.57 PM.png
    338.3 KB · Views: 120
Seller offered $ 16 USD refund, which I accepted. Saved myself the hassle to pack up and pay for shipment of this receiver.
But other purchases went even worse... I ordered 2 receivers (with name Koqit) from other sellers.
Assuming that these were satellite receivers. After they shipped, I realized it was the same mistake.
They do not cover shipping back.
The shipment to China would be more than $ 40 CAD, for each, and their China address was incomplete, (so I was told at Postal Office).
Seems I have to accept loss of money.
No more e-bay, better to use Amazon.

Some of my friends asked me to buy for them newer satellite receivers as their favourite broadcasters moved to HD and they were unable to scan and watch their programs on their older receivers.
I tried to help them and searched e-bay for inexpensive SATELLITE receivers.
I ordered one of them, but the seller shipped to me instead a TERRESTIAL receiver (in its title - description - it had the word "satellite").
This e-bay seller still advertises (wrongly) his item as a satellite receiver.
What should I do?
I am willing to send him back this terrestial receiver, but he does not offer such an option.
Instead, he offers $5 as a compensation (?)
cheers,
polgyver
You have to remember, especially when dealing with Chinese sellers on EBay, they don't know squat about what they're selling. Many are just a flunky in a warehouse.

Had a guy call me about an FTA receiver he purchased and it plainly said it was UHD on the box. I went over and played with it and found it wouldn't do UHD channels.

He contacted the seller and like you, they offered $5 back on the purchase price. If they don't offer a call tag, it isn't worth sending back a $35 item if you have to pay the return shipping.

If you pressure them, they'll agree to send a return label to avoid dealing with EBay. Likely what they'll do is send you a QR code you can load on your phone and take it to the post office.

They'll take it from there. :)

Reactions: comfortably_numb