Line of Sight

Status
Please reply by conversation.

taelon721

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
I have a lot of trees in my area, in the city, and am not for sure if the C-band 10ft dish I have, could hit many satellites. Could someone give may a site that will explain angles and line of site for C-band dishes, or is is basically just the level that the LNB is at is where it is seeing. I mean, with Ku band offset dishes, the beams are coming in at an angle.

Thanks....

Last edited:
With prime focus the dish is "looking" at what it appears to be unlike offset dishes. there is a calculator somewhere to see what objests you can clear and such. BJ Homesat website has one I believe.

W_tracy is right about their being a calculator, but I forget the site too. The manual method isn't too bad either. Basically, if you remember your high school geometry, take the tangent of the angle of elevation for the sat you're trying to hit and multiply it by the distance to the obstruction you're trying to clear. The result will tell you how high the beam from the satellite is above the ground. For instance if you're trying to clear an obstacle 100 feet away to hit a satellite at 30 degrees elevation, you'd take 100 X Tan 30. Which if my math is correct equals 57.735 feet. If the obstruction is shorter than that you can clear it. If the elevation your trying to hit is 45 degrees, then it would be 100 X Tan 45 which is 100 feet.

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)