Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
So my buddy and me are building this new server to host a single web-based application that uses PHP and MySQL. We spend 9+ hours getting the thing to work right. Reboot the system and it hasn't worked since. We've waded through all kinds of cryptically named folders and configuration files for Apache, MySQL and decided to give up till tomorrow when we try again.

Imagine if you have a Windows XP computer, but no control panel, no "Properties" menu choice on anything. Instead you have to edit the registry to make any kind of change.

Now imagine the registry is 300 separate files located in random places all over your hard drive.

Now imagine that if you change any one character in any of those 300 files improperly the whole shebang quits working.

This "EASY" Linux just makes me appreciate Bill Gates and company.

And sure Linux is "Powerful." So is an F-16 but I don't drive one of those to work either.

Linux is great IF you know all the old UNIX command line language. I watch the linux pro at the college and he just can make magic with that dang language.

I, on the other hand, have a virtual linux server (a VDS through jumpline.com that gives me my own linux web server, with apache, php, mysql, and a whole lot more for $300/year), and every time I want to install a new program, or make changes at the system level, I need to pull out all my linux handbooks to remember what the stinking command is. Like going into Mysql's command line to create and modify permissions on a database! It drives me nuts at time, but I am an old windows/dos user so learning linux is like learning another language.

Good luck with it tomorrow Pepper!! Maybe some sleep will make it easier. If I could "virtually" give you all my linux manuals, I would, but that's kinda difficult! :)

I tried installing ubuntu a few weeks ago, it started out fine but then it started asking for the install cd and some other stuff, at this point Im convinced that the mindless linux/unix drones are proclaiming it to be easy when its not. I dont have a computer degrea of any sorts but Im not illiterate when it comes to using a computer but when a download program starts asking for its install cd then theres a problem.

Yep, like Rocky said, having a good background in unix helps alot. Luckily for me, I cut my programming teeth in a completely unix environment, so linux is only a small change. I absolutely love linux, but I don't expect anyone to use it as a desktop environment (even I boot my pc to XP more than linux for day to day stuff)

I tried installing ubuntu a few weeks ago, it started out fine but then it started asking for the install cd and some other stuff, at this point Im convinced that the mindless linux/unix drones are proclaiming it to be easy when its not. I dont have a computer degrea of any sorts but Im not illiterate when it comes to using a computer but when a download program starts asking for its install cd then theres a problem.

I had no problem installing ubuntu. Its a nice OS. Didn't you create an install CD? Thats what you have to do to install it. You download the ISO file and then you make a bootable cd. Then it pretty much does it all.

If any of y'all need help, just PM or post where I can see it.

Linux/Unix/FreeBSD are my specialty :)

LER

Anything is hard if you're new and used to something else. I've got no linux certifications or anything but I've been running Ubuntu since August of 2005 as my primary operating system. I've set up Apache, MySQL and php many times. It's not hard. It's different. If you don't read the instructions, you can get in trouble because the whole environment is so much more open. It's going to do what you TELL it to do even if you tell it to go hang itself. If that makes me a mindless linux/unix drone then.... ok. :)

It does everything I want. It's my daily OS, not some toy that gets booted once in a while. I have WindowsXP installed into a Virtual Machine for those few times when I need it.... about twice a month... and it runs in a window in linux where it can't screw up my system. :)

Oh and I'm not offended by anything that's been said and I'm not taking pot shots at anyone. I just think that new things are difficult for most people simply because they're new. Spend time with it and MAKE it work and you'd be surprised at how well it works.

Let's see.... Ubuntu.... free, my office apps..... free, my photo editor.... free.... hmmmm....

I had no problem installing ubuntu. Its a nice OS. Didn't you create an install CD? Thats what you have to do to install it. You download the ISO file and then you make a bootable cd. Then it pretty much does it all.
This version has an installer called "Wubi" that is supposed to take the place of a cd, however it has failed to work as it's supposed to, I still have as yet to figure out how to get rid of ubuntu from showing up during the boot up process as an option to boot to for an os.

Free is not always better, anything free is best handled with care.

So my buddy and me are building this new server to host a single web-based application that uses PHP and MySQL. We spend 9+ hours getting the thing to work right. Reboot the system and it hasn't worked since. We've waded through all kinds of cryptically named folders and configuration files for Apache, MySQL and decided to give up till tomorrow when we try again.

Imagine if you have a Windows XP computer, but no control panel, no "Properties" menu choice on anything. Instead you have to edit the registry to make any kind of change.

Now imagine the registry is 300 separate files located in random places all over your hard drive.

Now imagine that if you change any one character in any of those 300 files improperly the whole shebang quits working.

This "EASY" Linux just makes me appreciate Bill Gates and company.

And sure Linux is "Powerful." So is an F-16 but I don't drive one of those to work either.

cPanel will spoil you once get everything going. (Waiting for LER to bash me!) ;)

I ran across a neat little package for simple webhosting/developing. I'm not sure how secure it is, but I only use it on my local network here.

Apache2Triad Net

Install and setup MySQL, PHP, etc in only a few mouse clicks on your windows PC. Drop in a few PHP web apps and have fun. I was amazed at how easy it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts