Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I drive 10 miles to work each day/20 total. I currently usually drive a diesel pickup with around 14 mpg. The Accord gets 23 or 24, but my wife drives that. I am considering buying a Vespa (around 60 mpg, premium gas only) or similar scooter for cheaper commuting expenses (since I can't buy a "real" electric commuter car), so I am comparing the estimated costs of a Vespa to the diesel. I'm asking for input as to if this is a good idea, and the 50 vs 150 choice ($900 price difference). I've just started considering this, so I don't have all the data yet. This would be for commuting, not fun.

I would not drive the scooter on Interstate highways or in rain or very cold weather.

I last drove a motorcycle 30 years ago. 3 minor accidents and I'd had enough.

I'd likely take the course to learn the skills and obtain the motorcycle/scooter DL endorsement for VA.

The route does have some hills, so the 150cc is more likely than the 50cc- plus the 150cc has an electronic key that reduces the likelihood of theft.

Max speed on the commute would be 45 mph. Commuting would be about the only use. I can walk to a grocery for small runs, and big runs would require a car anyway- limited cargo carrying on these scooters.

I'm actually considering the Vespa LX150 for about $4300, or the Piaggio Fly150 for about $3400, or possibly the Kymco 125 for about $2,000. Piaggio also makes the Vespa and the Fly is the leading contender right now. The Kymco is Chinese and I have concerns about parts support (I have a Kipor generator that never had a functioning charger for the electric start, warranty was worthless and I can't even PAY someone to fix it, much less find the parts to do it myself.).

I have not learned what the additional insurance expense would be. There's regular maintenance costs to be factored in, too, and I understand they're not cheap.

I've done a spreadsheet with the following assumptions:
Premium gas now at $3.50, diesel at $2.90. Expected annual fuel price increases: 8%.
260 working days a year, 20 miles a day, but figuring on using the scooter only about 75% of the time. Annual rounded mileage, about 4,000. After 5 years the thing has paid for itself, yet will still have residual value, so I'm way ahead. It's a hedge on massive fuel price increases. But this doesn't include hospitalization expenses if someone decides to bump into me.

Any other concerns I haven't addressed? Any thoughts on good idea/bad idea?

At those prices why don't you consider buying a small motorcycle. I don't know much about motorcycles right now but the Honda Rebel is only $3,199 and I have read about people getting over 65 mpg. Just another option.

Max speed on the commute would be 45 mph.

Having a max speed on the commute of 45 mph I would go with the 150 istead of the 50. I was looking at the specs and saw that the 50 has a max speed of 39 mph. I would hate to start being a bottle neck on the road with all those larger cars around you. Going with the larger model you will be able to at least go the speed limit on your commute.

what kind of diesel pickup do you have thats getting 14mpg... WOW... my dads Dodge Ram 3500 (for those that dont know its a cummins diesel) gets about 25 - 30 mpg

Dodge 3500 4.10 Quad 4x4.

I've never heard of a large diesel getting 25 mpg.

A scooter is not a cycle. Different seating, easier driving, maybe less trouble. I wonder how warm I'd be in winter, even with a winter suit. But it's just not that cold here, even at 45 mph. Summer heat should be no problem, as long as I'm moving.

Safety?

I suppose I could take the $150 MSF course, get the license and test drive the scooters at the dealer, and see what I think. I lean toward new, because the used ones on Craig's List seem expensive- they must hold their value well. And it doesn't seem like much will be knocked off the MSRP.

I'd have to add in $100-$150 for a helmet, maybe 2.

Anybody have any experience driving a scooter, as opposed to a motorcycle?

P.S.- Oh, I've paid for that short commute! But frankly, I'm done with the 90 minute commutes each way. I'd move rural again to avoid it.

Yeah, I thought so, too. Northern VA Comm College. 3 days. 6-10 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Sat & Sun. Could those hours possibly be right? Must be some course!

If gas prices really start climbing, I'd expect a lot more scooters and motorcycles to be bought. But we're not there yet. $5? $6? Who knows? I'd rather buy an all electric plug in overnight tiny commuter car, even with only a 50-100 mile range and limited speed. But I doubt I'll be seeing that any time soon, even with those limits. So my attempt to get ahead of the fuel prices leads me to scooters. I wonder if I could pedal it on my recumbent? And live, that is- can't avoid certain large streets.

I've thought about getting a scooter as well.

I have a 50 mile commute round trip. I can go on a route that doesn't include an interstate like highway (we have a US Highway that really should be an interstate). The max speed limit is on the US Highway we have near us which is 60MPH, and the state highway I'd be taking is max 55MPH.

I understand that the wind from passing cars at those speeds can knock your scooter over- even the 250s. That's why I figure street use only, 45 mph max.

Yeah, I thought so, too. Northern VA Comm College. 3 days. 6-10 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Sat & Sun. Could those hours possibly be right? Must be some course!

I bet that is right. Ours is a 16 hour course, 4 hours in the classroom and 12 hours riding.

Navy

Why are you against going with a motorcycle? I just figure for around the same price and mpg you would have a bike that could go on the interstate if you needed to.

I have thought about getting a motorcycle myself but I have to figure if only being able to ride it 1/2 the year would be worth it. I do think that I am going to take the basic course and get my endorsement just in case. For the $25 it would be worth it to just learn to ride.

The biggest problem to me would be if you ride it to work in the morning and then there is a huge rainstorm in the evening you'd be stuck either waiting it out (could be hours) or getting soaked.

Yep. The thought has crossed my mind. But it's not a big worry around here. And I could ride in the rain, if I wanted to support my local mortician.

I had 3 small motorcycle accidents, 30 years ago. Not sure I'm a motorcycle person. I don't want to take it on interstates or go particularly fast (or lay it down). It's just a cheap commute to me, on side streets as much as possible. And the riding position is a bit different between the two. And I won't have the blessed chain to deal with. Cables are fine, easy to monitor and adjust- that chain was messy and seemed to bear considerable watching. And this was a 125. I'm sure a drive shaft motorcycle would be waaay bigger than that.

I think you are using some false economy here as the investment and run costs of the Vespa will take quite awhile to amortize before you realize the actual savings in gas difference. If, however, your desire is for fun plus the gas savings, then that would measure out differently, but on gas difference alone, you'd be tripping over dollars to save pennies for some time. If you have the time difference to spare for the commute, consider a bicycle. Much lower cost initially, and offers a complete gas free commute plus health conditioning if your job lacks that.

one week of commute is 100 miles
trip cost with truck:
15 mpg at $3 / gallon = about $20 per 100 miles

Vespa
60 mpg at $3 / gallon = $5.00 per 100miles
Difference is about $15 a week assuming no rain each week and 100% Vespa use.

Insurance, maintenance and payment + interest may be $4000 out of pocket after salvage value subtracted, probably more but I'll use a lower figure for this example.

would take 267 weeks to amortize by fuel savings alone, or over 5 years before you realize even one nickel of savings.

:)

I actually got a scooter 2 years ago for the same reason. I purchased a Derbi Bullet 50cc, which I bored out the intake, changed variator weights and cut out the exaust ring. It can actually get up to 50 on straight roads. I only travel about 3 miles to work all side streets. Also I was taking my MBA classes then, which was a 7 mile trip all side roads. The usual Speed limit was 35 or 40 on these roads. My car only got about 18mpg in the city and the scooter averages about 75 right now. The reason I went with the 50cc is because you do not have to license or get insurance for a 50cc scooter in my state. It's a lot of fun and only was $2000. The Derbi bullet was actually has a vespa motor and is assembled in spain. $4000 150cc will take a lot longer to realize the savings, plus you have to pay for insurance and licensing.

I've been scootin for 22 years. Feels good to flip off the oil companies. I have a 24 mile commute and do it daily on my 1985 Honda Scooter. My wife has a 2001 Yamaha scooter and commutes about 20 miles a day. I get about 65mpg on my 250 and she gets over 90 MPG on her 125cc scoot.

Scooters are a heck of a lot of fun. They are made for urban environments. Even small motorcycles are a pain in the A$$ with all the shifting etc. On a scoot you have an automatic CVT transmission, just twist and go. It's ALOT easier to ride a scoot than any motorcycle. Scoots are very nimble and you twist the throttle to go and grab the brakes to stop, gives you alot more mental acuity to avoid soccer moms in SUV's on cell phones and old folks that don't look when they change lanes.

I've driven Motorcycles and scoots, but again, for 22 years I've been scootin. It's a blast and extremely economical!

In the past year I've saved 3000 miles on my van to ride the scoot. I put the van on "recreational vehivle" for insurance. Just the savings on van insurance alone more than offsets the $100 a year scooter insurance and maintenance.

At the new reality of $350 a gallon getting 60-90 MPG vs 15 -17 mpg is huge. Also factor in that when you go to the grocery store you stick to your shopping list due to the limited storage space on your scoot. In a car/van you make more impulse purchases because you can easily carry it. My scoot does 73MPH and I've ridden it on highways many times, rain or shine.

One couple that we are friends with rode their scooters to the outer banks of N.C. from Ohio, the fueal savings alone paid for their lodging.

When you ride just stay out of blind spots, wear bright gawdy clothes, and assume every car will do the stupidest thing possible, and you can, like us, save yourself $1000 a year or more while having fun!

Navy,
The Kymco isn't like the dearth of mainland Chinese scooters, it's made in Taiwan. In Taiwan over 90% of the population rely on scooters as their only form of transportation. They can't tolerate cheap junk. Kymco, Sym, PGO from Taiwan make excellent scoots. If you live in a wet climate there is always the Tank Urban Courier./Baron BAS-150/ Diamo Velux 150 or 250 to consider. They are convertible scoots that keep you dry in the rain and come with Radio's as standard equipment.

Here are a few pics...

tank-scooter-courier-150-150cc-01.jpg

22077_0_1_2_velux_Image%20credits%20-%20Diamo.jpg

MO_103.gif

I really liked this scooter that I saw in Paris last year.

Attachments

• P1000949.JPG
    P1000949.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 520
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts