Vespa for saving on fuel cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was supposed to take a test ride on an "Iron Mountain" today but it wasn't ready. Maybe tomorrow.

Piaggio shifted the Fly 150 production to China for the 2007 model year. 2006 was the last model year for it to be built in Italy. The engine is the same as on the Vespa LX150, so that support should continue. But other parts will not all be the same.

The Taiwanese company, Kymco, builds in Jakarta and mainland China, and perhaps still in Taiwan also. I don't know that there is any way of determining where a particular scooter was built. The model I am considering is the Agility 125, of which there are few. Support may be iffy. And it seems to be a little on the weak side. At least, it also has forced air cooling.

Yamaha does in fact sell a small one, the Vino 125. It's just a little pricey, no idea where it's built. Retro look only. Local support unknown.

Federal law requires minimum engine displacement of 150cc to go on interstates. I'm not likely to ever consider going on an interstate on a 150, anyway.

I could buy a 2006 Italian Fly 150 that might not have great support, other than the engine, going forward. Being "last year's model" probably is of little import. It might actually mean HIGHER resale value down the road, being the last built in Italy. Or I could get the "Iron Mountain" or other Chinese scooter for $900 or more less than the Fly 150 and hope for the best, support wise. I read so much negative on mainland Chinese scooters.

I've been trying to find statistics on motor scooter safety, to no avail. But from Italy I've found:
"...Most of the accident occur in urban road while most of the deaths happen in extra-urban road..." and:
"...Considering the kilometres travelled, the risk to be involved in a crash for mopeds is estimated to be 32.6 times higher than the comparable risk for cars and for motorcycles it is 17 times higher. The risk of death for riders is two times the risk for cars...." Ouch!

And from the UK:
"...per kilometre travelled, motorcyclists are 48 times more likely than car users to die or suffer serious injury..."

I think by "mopeds" they mean 50cc and below. I'm not sure how or if this translates into U.S. hazards. Certainly gives a lot to think about. Maybe the DMV office will have more info.

It's Over

I've been hard pressed to find statistics on accidents involving motor cycles/scooters versus automobiles. But what I've previously posted has weighed heavily upon me. I keep picturing somebody opening a car door, or moving into my lane. And I've just recently gotten out of the hospital for another matter. Suddenly, the wind is out of my sails.

Add to that, the current fuel prices being jacked up for profit, and the likelihood of them decreasing before increasing again. And if, say, a near worst case scenario happened and fuel doubled in price, I'd cut down to just commuting (5,000 miles a year or less). I can walk to a grocery store. That doubling of price, combined with a massive reduction in driving, would only cost me about $1,000 per year.

I just can't justify it in my own mind. I won't be buying a scooter. My wife is happier that I won't. So is my boss.

Many thanks to all that contributed to this thread. You helped me make a big decision.

:(

So sorry to hear that navy. Riding a scooter is a blast! I've had guys that have had 10 to 15 motorcycles over the years and came back to me after buying a scooter to say it's the most fun they've ever had on 2 wheels.

I've been riding scooters for 22 years, yes, 22 years. The only dump I took was in 1985 in a parking lot in the rain. I'm on my 3rd scoot in that time. The savings are significant, my van's insurance plummets when it is reclassified as a 2nd vehicle that is little used. It saves more than the $120 a year for scoot insurance.

Vespa's are wayyyy overpriced. The top selling scooter in the country last year and most likely this year is the Genuine Buddy 125

buddy_black-pt-sm.jpg

buddy_pink-pt-sm.jpg

buddy_orange-pt-sm.jpg

buddy_cream-pt-sm.jpg

100MPG, built in Taiwan, 65MPH and fun as hell.

For only a couple hundred more you can get the fastest production 150cc scoot, 85MPG, Taiwanese, 75MPH, built like and handles like a sport bike, the Blur!

rocket_sm.jpg

A new Vespa ET4 150 is $4,600 + tax & title, a new 2006 Blur (we can still get them) is $3,000 out the door! Nearly $2 grand less and a super scoot.

I can't imagine how much I've saved in 22 years, but I've had ALOT of fun on them in 22 years!

One interesting note:

The same guys that threatened to razz me unmercifully if I dared show up at work on a scooter are now most unhappy I changed my mind. I guess they were planning on trying it out.

One interesting note:

The same guys that threatened to razz me unmercifully if I dared show up at work on a scooter are now most unhappy I changed my mind. I guess they were planning on trying it out.
Nah, they're just unhappy cuz they can't razz you now. :) But I'm on your side with this. I wouldn't ride a scooter, motorcycle, bicycle, or anything without doors and bumpers inside the beltway.

They're almost all motorcycle riders. And one of them- OH, what a sweet ride!

Hey Navy one thing to consider about those safety reports for countries outside of the US is that not every country is known for its safe driving. When I was working in Miami one of the things I noticed was how incredibly terrible many of the drivers were about following simple rules such as stopping at redlights, staying in your own lane, giving pedestrians the right of way. You might want to contact the local state police post and see if one of the sargeants can help you out with where to go to get current data for the states and for your area.

Oh and to give you an idea of how bad the drivers were, just in the immediate area we were working in in and around Miami international airport there was on average 136 acidents daily taking place.

Van,
Even if he found out that nobody died with a scooter in 10 years, it still doesn't mean they are safe. One banana peel and you could be down for the count.

Today we had a couple pull up on a Harley. He wanted to buiy her a cycle. She took a shine to the Genuine Blur. We suggested to him "why not ride it and see if she will like it?". He rolled his eyes like "yeah right".

He took the scooter out for a ride. 20 minutes he came back with a grin from ear to ear, "DAMN THIS THING IS FUN!".

Postulate and hypothesize all you want, I see it every day. People being won over by scooters that is.

my neighbor has 3 motorcycles for sale 2 harleys and a honda if anyone is interested.

near ross park mall pittsburgh pa

Accident?

if your question is for me no accident, my neighbor is in the cycle rebuilding business, buys junkers, mostly ones that have sit around forever, rebuilds them does excellent job and sells them off. its his hobby

he doies excellent job...

I had pictured an accident and decision to leave cycling....

I had pictured an accident and decision to leave cycling....

nope then it will be his wife selling off remants of his bikes, he will be no longer here:(

he has a honda just finishing rebuilding. It belonged to a guy whos wife got mad at him and took a baseball bat too it. sorry shape it was. It set in a garage for 10 years, wife now X wife. bike came out looking really good. mechanically it stood up well, basenball bat damage mostly accessories and cosmetics......

amazing transformation in a couple weeks

I'll bet the Harleys go first.

Mainland Chinese and Indian scooters have a bad rep for reliability and getting parts. Now the Piaggio Fly 150 (& others) scooters are built in mainland China. Many Kymco (Taiwanese) scooters are built in mainland China, or Jakarta. Vespas are, as far as I know, still built in Italy- but they're all so retro, and so costly. It seems that if you want a scooter, you have little recourse to Chinese models, especially no name ones. Or do I have that wrong? No, I'm not reconsidering, I'm just hashing out what I found out, for anyone else who may be considering a scooter.

Japanese or TAIWANESE scooters are the best buy. Genuine (PGO) has excellent scoots, as does Sym. The Bajaj Chetak Indian scooter is very reliable. All steel, it's nearly bullet proof since it's made for the crappy roads in India.

Kymco hangs the "Sword of Damacleese" over their dealers heads.

the Genuine and Bajaj have 2 years parts AND labor warranties, and Genuine throws in a free year of roadside assistance.

S. Korea also makes excellent scoots with long warranties. Look for Daelim or Hyosung.

If you're good mechanically you can me very satisfied with SOME chinese scoots. It all depends which factory they come from, if the importer has QC people on site, and IF the importer maintains a good supply of parts. Good Chinese scoots include Keeway, Qlink, Fly scooters, CFMoto among a FEW others.

Isn't the Bajaj Chetak Indian scooter discontinued?

And what did you mean by that Kymco comment?

I've been contemplating a similar purchase. We went down to one car 3 years ago...sold my 14-yr old Acura Integra to a friend (still going strong) and traded in my wife's Civic on a Honda Element. Damn good vehicle, and flexible for hauling stuff.

I'd thought last year about getting a street-grade scooter and found myself falling for the Aprilia-made Scarabeo line. Saw a guy pull up on one as I was getting a coffee at a cafe. It was the 250cc model in slate grey--a 'man's' scooter, all the way.

Check it out:

Home Page

They offer higher-cc's, so you can take them on the highway, and most importantly, they have larger wheels and top-notch suspension--the thing most small-wheel scooters have at fault is transferring road jags straight to your back. And because its an electric-start automatic and designed for 2, its flexible and easier-to-ride than a motorcycle.

A safe, powerful, auto-shifting and fuel-efficient solution. That its cool as hell looking is the capper. I'm still waiting til end-of-summer to decide (we're 'family planning' right now :))...but the Scarabeo line is worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.