Vespa for saving on fuel cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally feel a motorcycle is safer. Sometimes you need to accelerate to protect yourself from people who don't pay attention. Doesn't have to be big, but i would say at least 500 cc for the average size person riding alone. I've got an 83 silverwing i got from my ex brother in-law 15 years ago. It is a great commuter vehichle

Well with Vespa you are paying more for the name, compare prices on the mainstays such as honda or yamaha with their scooters and you will save alot of cash. Gas mileage and safety are you biggest concerns so if your going to ride a scooter you want to make sure you are highly visible at all times in any kind of light and degrea of traffic, I see more and more bike riders wearing reflective orange and yellow crossing gaurd vest's now.

Look at your current route for travel and if it looks like it may be detrimental for anyone on two wheels find an alternate and see if that would work for you.

Gas mileage will be good on any little two wheeler so long as you dont get on it like a 15 year old with a pention for bad decisions. If your an average build type around 200lbs then I would look more at the 125 - 150 range of scooter for the added power to get yourself moving should a situation arise such as grandma jenkins drifting into your lane because she's to busy looking at someones flower garden.

Ok all the practical stuff aside you know you have to get a good looking scooter to, remember the old saying about scooters and fat chicks? :D

Yamaha makes a nifty looking scooter with oversized tires and dual headlights ( nice bit of safety on both parts, extra light and little more grip on the road ) though they do have a larger 250cc scooter that looks like a modified snowmobile that I wouldnt be caught dead on. Vespa is good if your an artsy fartsy kind or a young college student but I would shudder to think that a retired military man would be seen on a vespa *hahahaha*

So do I and my wife. Only $8500 Euros. Doesn't seem to be available in the U.S.
Amazing! You can get a Harley for that price!

To each his own. I see folks in this thread who are truely scooter aficionados and their long-term cost estimates are probably real. I would opt for more power myself for the reasons given. The mileage differences would only add up to be significant over a rather long haul. All this said, I agree with Don. If you are doing this for purely financial reasons, it really does not make sense. I for one am a fair weather rider, so my payback would be even longer. And in my experience over almost 30 years of on and off riding, bikes always have a way of pulling more $$ out of you than you expected.

Chain maintenance is a chore as you have noted. I have one shaft drive bike that has had -0- maintenance in all the years I have owned it. I know of at least one 500cc model with a shaft drive, no longer in production. I imagine there are others. A belt drive (all Harleys, IIRC) is also a very low maintenance option. You usually get 50K miles out of a belt. No lubrication and very rare tension adjustments (that the dealer should probably do anyway).

My recommendation to you would be to get a used 500cc+ bike and run it for a year or so to see if you really want to go this route before you invest the $3-4,000 or more for a scooter or other bike.

Chain mantainence is a pain, my last bike was a kawasaki EX500 and I was constantly having to clean and adjust the chain every week wether I put on a $50 chain or a $200 chain and wether I used the cheap lube or the expensive lube.

500cc used bikes from what Ive seen here are running $3,000 - $7,000 outside of the harley's and high end euro sport bikes. Try the paper or trade mags and craigslist before heading to the dealer, dealers seem to have very few used bikes and those they do are considerably over priced and run out.

I has been over a year since I last checked in with the local "rice burner" dealer, but the last time I was there he had about 40-50 used bikes of all vintages. I'm thinking an older one that could be had for less than $2K might be a good "starter" bike. The good thing about most Japanese bikes is that they're designed well and reliable if they were cared for (hard to tell), and in general parts are readily available even for 10+ y.o. bikes, at least the parts you need to keep them running. One advantage of buying from a local dealer is that even if there is no warranty (won't be on an older bike of course), he won't sell you a junker if he ever wants to see you back for a better bike. And if you keep an older bike for a year or so and take care of it, possibly "shine it up" a bit, then the dealer might even take it back in trade on a better, much newer bike. It's strictly caveat emptor in a private sale!

Make sure the tires are good and the shocks aren't leaking, check the brakes (good grab, no squeal) and that should be enough for you to take a test drive in a parking lot somewhere if the thing will start, and I'm sure the dealer will make sure of that. From there, no visible smoke, fluid leaks, or strange sounds from the engine or tranny are a good sign. Bottom line, even if the thing turns out to be a bad buy, you're not out too much. That's assuming that it is otherwise safe, but much of that variable is up to the rider including performing the "preflight" checklist faithfully...

Navy,
The Kymco isn't like the dearth of mainland Chinese scooters, it's made in Taiwan. In Taiwan over 90% of the population rely on scooters as their only form of transportation. They can't tolerate cheap junk. Kymco, Sym, PGO from Taiwan make excellent scoots. If you live in a wet climate there is always the Tank Urban Courier./Baron BAS-150/ Diamo Velux 150 or 250 to consider. They are convertible scoots that keep you dry in the rain and come with Radio's as standard equipment.

THANKS! That red 2005 Diamo Velux 150 looks great, and there's one for sale. But the diamousa.com website is down or no longer exists. Doesn't seem to be many, if any, vendors in this country. No longer available? And it doesn't have good ratings. But it sure appeals. However, with little or no support, and being mainland Chinese, it's a non-starter - but it let me know certain things are available!

Benelli scooters seem interesting, but can't find a dealer. I think I'd better buy a scooter (if I do at all) that has dealer support nearby. And now I'm inclined toward the "rain shield" ("convertible?") although I can't seem to find many scooters so equipped actually for sale. The Baron BAS-150 has one, and looks promising. The Aprilia doesn't. This shield should make me a lot more visible. I might just ask the dealer if the Piaggio Fly150 can be equipped with a windshield and rain cover.

Honda and Yamaha are more expensive, and some models seem to really be motorcycles.

The Courier 150 looks great, but tankmotors.com is 404. And alas, it is Chinese. There is a guy not too far off that sells them, but I'm not sure he really services them. Site refers to signing up with the manufacturer on their website for warranty support. And the reviews are "mixed."

The Baron 150-BAS looks good, and there is supposed to be a nearby dealer, but they don't answer their phone and they don't list it on their website. Is this yet another Chinese product?

Still looking, still considering.

And Thanks for all the help so far!

BTW, I think if it pays for itself in fuel savings over 5 or 6 years, that's a good deal.

Amazing! You can get a Harley for that price!

That 8500 Euros is well over 11,000 US dollars. 'Tain't gonna happen, BMW or not!

And in my experience over almost 30 years of on and off riding, bikes always have a way of pulling more $$ out of you than you expected.

Well, aren't you a downer! ;) Yes, that's a real concern. It is my hope that staying small and with a scooter, not a cycle, I can avoid much of that. I also buy the occasional lottery ticket. :rolleyes:

My recommendation to you would be to get a used 500cc+ bike and run it for a year or so to see if you really want to go this route before you invest the $3-4,000 or more for a scooter or other bike.

I poured over the net, Craig's List included, and discovered these things really seem to hold their value. I might buy used, but not for a 10% savings. I might get a Kymco for about $2,000 new. The dealer I was at had little used stock on hand, but there are at least a couple more I might visit.

After more silly questions from an insurance seller than I cared to deal with, I got a quote for about $120 a year for insurance on a scooter for liability, uninsured motorist, and comp & coll. For once, a nice surprise!

See if your DMV has info on-line. In WI you can have a moped or a scooter/motorcycle. Mopeds can only carry one person and are supposed to have a top speed of 30 mph. Insurance for a moped for 1 year is about $80.

Obviously, that is different from state to state, so that's why I suggest getting the info from your state's DMV. Particularly the "top speed" may impact your decision.

Good luck!

Thanks.

If I understand correctly, VA treats everything 50cc and up as a motorcycle. I note in their manual they say to ride in the center of the lane. I remember when I last rode a motorcycle, the recommendation was to remain a bit off center, to avoid the oil drippings that accumulate in the middle of the lane.

BTW, I learned today that accidents that weren't your fault are still used against you in determining loss experience ratios or some such. I have been rear ended twice in the last few years. No major damage, but repairs were required.

One scooter I found on ebay, nice look to it and at a decent price.

Diamo velux scooter shown without the canopy nice but odd looking with the oversized windscreen and back rest, theres another on here from a dealer in jersey that Im trying to find.

Poor mans harley from back in the day, now this would be riding in your own unique style.

Theres alot of budget Chinese and Korean scoots on ebay, most of these are ones you can find at your local mower shop and at pep boys car care centers though from what I have seen of some of these on ebay even with the shipping your coming out better than the local guy.

I value my life more than saving $20 a week in gas.

This is a big concern and is one thing holding me back.

Actually, I'm only looking at about a $15/week savings for the weeks that I use it, over the first year. If I buy a cheap one for about $2,000 the fuel savings will pay for it in just over 3 years. At a $3,000 purchase, 4.5 years or so. Assumes fuel goes up 8% per year. But even at 5% it makes little difference. Is there a fun factor? Maybe it's just one more thing to maintain. I guess I'm really viewing this as a hedge against huge increases in fuel costs.

Last edited:
As much as I would like one, and did ride when I was younger dont forget the hazards. while you might save lots of money on gas, imagine the horror of personal injury, 6 months off recovering from leg injury can wipe out all the gas savings. I dumped one ONCE that was enough for me..

a friend fell off the roof of his home broke multiple bones including his hip and back, at the time he was project manager making top bucks managing the new pittsburgh airport project.

he likely lost many times the total value of his home in lost pay...

another buddy still rides but has been run off the road twice and has permanent knee troubles, he called today about getting a ride to the hospital for more surgery.

navychop- I see you are understanding the economics of it all. Lots can happen in 3 years, especally with the elections coming up. The whole price of gas today is based on greed and monopoly, not shortage and real value. Therefore it is a short blip in the price curve over the long haul. If you don't think so, then why did gas sell for just 2.20 a gallon less than 4 months ago for a short while? I feel with a new president, a change in Iraq war policy and renewed effort in alternative fuels for transportation we could easily see gas at $1.60 a gallon which wiould be more in line with normal inflation. So, to pull an investment with a speculation of 3-4 years out is a bit of a risk. Consider other ways of saving $15 a week. Remember, that's just 3 cups of brew at Starbucks!

Now what shouild I do as I have no vices to cut out? I even gave up cokes in January and drink just water. No more chocalate or other snacks and never did drink coffee. I suppose I could give up some HD satellite channels if gas keeps going up. :(

Now what shouild I do as I have no vices to cut out? I even gave up cokes in January and drink just water. No more chocalate or other snacks and never did drink coffee. :(

Oh man I feel for you, two things that I love are coke and chocolate, I take both in moderation like one coke a week and a couple of hershey kisses or a plain hersheys dark chocolate bar a week wich is a good thing considering that dark chocolate has been found to be good for your health.

sad to say hershey is largely closing its home plant in hershey pa moving most production to contactors in foreign countries for more profits. the home hershey plant is scheduled to become a museumn. I have given serious thought to sending hershey foods a nice letter stating I will NEVER buy a hershey bar again.

the trouble is soon nothing will be produced in the US

sad to say hershey is largely closing its home plant in hershey pa moving most production to contactors in foreign countries for more profits. the home hershey plant is scheduled to become a museumn. I have given serious thought to sending hershey foods a nice letter stating I will NEVER buy a hershey bar again.

the trouble is soon nothing will be produced in the US

Is it any surprise considering that most all americans want everything as cheap as possible? " Damn I cant believe this two pound bag of hershey's kisses is $2.49 "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts