Lip Sync Issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chrisb83

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I just bought a new Sony Bravia XBR TV. Replaced my old Sony lcd Rear view 4 years old. Everything is work great except for one issue. I'm having problems with the sound and the lip syncing. Words and the mouth sometimes are in sync and sometimes are not. This problem was not as noticeable with my old rear projection LCD. When I set up my surround sound the only different thing I did was instead of using a digital optical to the receiver I'm using the HDMI to the receiver for my digital sound. My question is, should if I use my digital optical for sound only, and use my HDMI for picture only, will it fix my lip sync with sound problem? Or am I not the only one having this problem? Man that was hard to explain:). Thanks

I use optical for audio and hdmi for video and still have audio sync issues every now and then. Even with OTA digital, through my vip 622. Though I haven't noticed any problems lately.

Doh, now it's going to happen again because I talked about it. knock on wood!

I have experienced lip-sync on occassion. NBC-HD was problematic, but I have not noticed it recently.

When it does occur, if the station also offers a SD broadcast, check that out. Most likely it won't be occurring there.

What is frustrating when you see this happen is that you start wondering whether it is the components in your system, or the broadcast. Very good chance it is the broadcast unless you are noticing this on a lot of stations and all the time. Then you may have a setup problem. Perhaps your AV receiver has lip-sync adjustments you could make (e.g., audio delay).

I have experienced lip-sync on occassion. NBC-HD was problematic, but I have not noticed it recently.

When it does occur, if the station also offers a SD broadcast, check that out. Most likely it won't be occurring there.

What is frustrating when you see this happen is that you start wondering whether it is the components in your system, or the broadcast. Very good chance it is the broadcast unless you are noticing this on a lot of stations and all the time. Then you may have a setup problem. Perhaps your AV receiver has lip-sync adjustments you could make (e.g., audio delay).

I checked that option and my DENON does not have that feature. I feel your pain when you think your components are going bad. I've got a lot of money in my system. You'd think in this high tec day of age that this kinda stuff happens. Thanks for the input.

More often than not, lip-sync problems originate from the broadcast source.

It's funny. I"m watching ESPN and no problems. But HDNET does. Ohh well.. kinda lame. FYI I have a 622.

On the 722 there is an option to choose to sync audio on TV1 to the HD or SD signal. System Setup -> Installation -> TV1 Audio Sync

I believe it is set to HD by default, but who knows.

When I first got Dish, I had this problem regularly. I contacted Dish, who confirmed that there was a firmware bug AND an issue with the feeds they received on the Turner channels.

I still found that overall I had to make a 10ms delay adjustment on my receiver (Denon AVR-787). This combined with more recent firmware has really cleared things up. I should note that I never had to use delays on my receiver with cable though...

More often than not, lip-sync problems originate from the broadcast source.

This is especially true of older programs that have an added Dolby Digital soundtrack and then upped to HD.

Another thing that can sometimes fix the problem is Pause and Resume the program or switch channels to realign the audio.

As for the optical question, you won't know unless you try. Monoprice and pricewatch offer 6' optical cables for about $5 delivered. All digital cables are equal. Either the digital signal gets delivered or it does not.

When I first got Dish, I had this problem regularly. I contacted Dish, who confirmed that there was a firmware bug AND an issue with the feeds they received on the Turner channels.

I still found that overall I had to make a 10ms delay adjustment on my receiver (Denon AVR-787). This combined with more recent firmware has really cleared things up. I should note that I never had to use delays on my receiver with cable though...

I have a DENON AVR-2807. And I would like to thank you for the advise about changing the delay to 10ms. MUCH BETTER.:) You rock. Wonder if its a DENON thing or a combination of things?

I have a DENON AVR-2807. And I would like to thank you for the advise about changing the delay to 10ms. MUCH BETTER.:) You rock. Wonder if its a DENON thing or a combination of things?

Awesome! Glad I had something useful to say this time. :D

I think it's a combination of things, probably related to video processing and upconversion that is done by the 722 and my TV. I haven't had to set any delays on any other sources.

I have this problem on NBC HD regularly and Dish just says I'm an idiot.

Now I have been getting very raspy voices and they turn high pitched on any HD channel, again I don't know what I am talking about and there's no problem though.

When I first had Dish ~10 years ago, The predecessor to the DVR was new. The only thing it could really do was to pause live TV (for up to half an hour).

While this was convenient, the Dish lip sync issue was already there. I had just come from D* and the lip sync problem was really noticeable.

I believe this is an equipment problem that has continued into the HD DVR's...

I made a major adjustment on my Yamaha receiver and it helped but did not eliminate it...

Now I have been getting very raspy voices and they turn high pitched on any HD channel, again I don't know what I am talking about and there's no problem though.
I noticed this recently on a few broadcasts. Doesn't last long, and then it clears up. When it first happened I started to wonder if my AV Receiver was frying out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts