Listings of S.G. member’s predictions for future:

HDwonderer

Forced ex-VOOMer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2005
Upstate NY
Don’t forget that there are Satellites in production by Lockheed Martin under contract with Cablevision. Will they make good on their contract for the Satellites and use them in the future or resell them to someone? Will they pay a fee to cancel the contract thus allowing Lockheed Martin to sell them to someone else? Is there going to be a bidding war?

Will Charles Dolan make one last hurrah in his lifetime? Maybe put together a group of wealthy retired businessmen and make a leading satellite company and HD distributor? Isn’t he in the beginnings of that now?

Bill Gates and Microsoft have been trying for years to marry TV, computers and the Internet. They have the financial power. And we all know how much Bill Gates likes to have the controlling interest over industries. He is not a “shotgun kind of guy”. They have often allowed some other company start the idea and then jump in with an army to make it better & faster. Come to think of it Microsoft is in the field now with software.

Will one of the Sat Companies from Canada make a move? They have got to be seeing this and talking about it in their boardrooms. They know that we want them to enter the arena.

Lastly there is still VOOM 21 swinging in the wind.

Any more ideas? Post a prediction?

-Scott

HDwonderer said:
Don’t forget that there are Satellites in production by Lockheed Martin under contract with Cablevision. Will they make good on their contract for the Satellites and use them in the future or resell them to someone? Will they pay a fee to cancel the contract thus allowing Lockheed Martin to sell them to someone else? Is there going to be a bidding war?

They will pay the cancel fee, both D* and E* have new birds going up, already up in test mode and have new ones on order like this

10-02-2004
From the FCC Daily Digest:

ECHOSTAR SATELLITE LLC. Granted EchoStar Satellite LLC Authority to
Construct, Launch and Operate a Geostationary-Satellite Orbit Satellite
in the Fixed-Satellite Service Using the Extended Ku-Band Frequencies at
the 109,83,121 Degree W.L. Orbital Locations.

HDwonderer said:
Will Charles Dolan make one last hurrah in his lifetime? Maybe put together a group of wealthy retired businessmen and make a leading satellite company and HD distributor? Isn’t he in the beginnings of that now?

Mr.Dolan has a quite a big black mark on his record as far as DBS goes, you don't lose over a billion dollars on a service and then go to his friends and ask for help, oh wait, he did that when he was looking for investors to save Voom and they all said no, he could put up his own money, but he did not want to do that either to save Voom.

HDwonderer said:
Bill Gates and Microsoft have been trying for years to marry TV, computers and the Internet. They have the financial power. And we all know how much Bill Gates likes to have the controlling interest over industries. He is not a “shotgun kind of guy”. They have often allowed some other company start the idea and then jump in with an army to make it better & faster. Come to think of it Microsoft is in the field now with software.

Microsoft wants to create the software for these services, he does not wish to be a service.

HDwonderer said:
Will one of the Sat Companies from Canada make a move? They have got to be seeing this and talking about it in their boardrooms. They know that we want them to enter the arena.

Canada DBS companies is not allowed to have a service here just like D* and E* cannot have a service there.

No one for quite a while will start a third DBS service now, with the build out for Cable going on, Fiber in the future from Verizon and others, there are too many providers for a new start-up company to go up against.

One hope is the MVDDS spectrum for wireless broadcast, but E* and Cablevision owns that and are doing nothing with it so far.

But Canadian companies do have service here as has been discussed in other threads. I myself may just sign with one as D* or E* does not supply HD networks in my area and the locals don't even broadcast HD.

Also the story is not over yet. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling someing is going to happen after May 1st. Scott has dropped a few hints and others have reported E* CSR's suggesting they wait until after May 1st. Combine this with dropping VOOM name on other channels and Sean reporting the Worldsport will still telecast live soccar in May and you have to think that something is up. For those that switch already, I hope you didn't move too soon. I for one will wait to see what happens before I make my move.

bruce said:
Microsoft wants to create the software for these services, he does not wish to be a service.

Canada DBS companies is not allowed to have a service here just like D* and E* cannot have a service there.

I really wonder about the Microsoft idea. Only time will tell there.

As far as a Canada DBS comming here. Are you saying they can not try to attempt to get FCC approval if they so desired?

I forgot about the Verizon and Sprint types out there. That's a great one. You just never know. Time is a funny thing. Yet, if we did know we could all get rich.

-scott

Blowing my mind?

gutter said:
But Canadian companies do have service here as has been discussed in other threads. I myself may just sign with one as D* or E* does not supply HD networks in my area and the locals don't even broadcast HD.

Also the story is not over yet. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling someing is going to happen after May 1st. Scott has dropped a few hints and others have reported E* CSR's suggesting they wait until after May 1st. Combine this with dropping VOOM name on other channels and Sean reporting the Worldsport will still telecast live soccar in May and you have to think that something is up. For those that switch already, I hope you didn't move too soon. I for one will wait to see what happens before I make my move.

Dang! Frogot that stuff is going on. We all know VOOM 21 will not die. Just were is it going to pop up? Gutter - is there a way to get a Canada DBS with a US address? I made a few calls and almost cried as I hung up.

-scott

We can only hope for some action after May 1, but what about someone who mentioned that Charlie in Charlie's chat said no new HD for E* this year--why would he have said that--I don't know the date of the Charlie Chat--but is there some business motive for saying that if it's not true?

Well, if nothing happens after May 1, then nothing but what I can get OTA--Canada is tempting, but not an easy option.

HDwonderer said:
As far as a Canada DBS comming here. Are you saying they can not try to attempt to get FCC approval if they so desired?

The only way you can get Canada DBS in the USA is if you go thru a broker.

HDwonderer said:
Dang! Frogot that stuff is going on. We all know VOOM 21 will not die. Just were is it going to pop up?

No one can add them because there is just no room right now or the companies wish to add other things, Comcast for example is/are adding TNT ( it is on now ), Universal and ESPN2-HD within the next 90 days, anyone adding any new HD Channels will add channels like those way before any of the Voom Channels.

bruce said:
No one can add them because there is just no room right now or the companies wish to add other things, Comcast for example is/are adding TNT ( it is on now ), Universal and ESPN2-HD within the next 90 days, anyone adding any new HD Channels will add channels like those way before any of the Voom Channels.

You start out by saying that there is no room for HD (I was talking future)which we all know there is some and more coming in cable. And Ver* is getting in the game. Oh wait you are saying that Comcast is adding.....you are contradicting.

Bruce-This was a thread for future ideas from members. Us voomers have a dim light already. You came up with the phone company option. Why not go with that.
We are all wound tight over the Voom loss. Work with me here.
-scott

HDwonderer said:
You start out by saying that there is no room for HD (I was talking future)which we all know there is some and more coming in cable. And Ver* is getting in the game. Oh wait you are saying that Comcast is adding.....you are contradicting.

No not 'contradicting' read what I wrote "No one can add them because there is just no room right now or the companies wish to add other things" that or means the ones that have a little room are adding other things way before the Voom channels, I would love to have more HD ( I really would like to have the MonstersHD channel), that is why I have Comcast, they in my ( most Comcast ) area(s) have more then E* and D*.

I am sorry it does not look good for more HD right now, until D*, E* and C* see the $$$ in HD, it will be a while.

Verizon will be using Microsoft's IPTV as well and I think they are the most likely candidate to pick up some or all of the Voom 21's. They aren't rolling out IPTV until the end of the year so I'm not sure what would happen if those channels were dark for six months. Of course this is all just speculation on my part.

HDwonderer said:
Bruce-This was a thread for future ideas from members. Us voomers have a dim light already. You came up with the phone company option. Why not go with that.

The entire forum was for Voomers but Bruce didnt listen to that either.

vurbano said:
The entire forum was for Voomers but Bruce didnt listen to that either.
This forum is for the discussion of Voom News and Develpments, not a club for Voomers only. (The entire forum is satguys, and not Voomers only either.)

Discussing where to go next seems resonable ...

JL

Ding! Ding!

WOW. DING! DING!
Everyone back to the corners PLEASE.
Loosing VOOM has made us all a little on edge.
In the end we all using Cable, *E, *D, *V or some other source, all hope for good quality HD.
Will anyone else make a prediction for the future? Will you be the right one?

OK. DING! DING!

-scott

I made a call about Verizon. The NFL cities will be done first. In my Verizon area, it will be about 10 years.

100% ala-cart

How about 100% ala-cart by........(thinking).....damn...there is not or will not be anyone.

Can I just get the brain implant now? I'll take that with 9.1 - 4 dementional holographic infinitely variable frequency adjustment, 3600 non-interlace, 10 simultaneous channel tuner with two-way communication in audio and video.

Did I mention that it had to be run by a group of independents like us from Sat. Guys. No more *D, E*, TW, Com, CV, V, or anyone else who has to make a profit on top of a profit.

-Scott

P.S. yes i know there are no such things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts