Not good for HDTV's future

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rang1995

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Bergen co NJ
Washington (Sept. 22) -- The Senate Commerce Committee today
voted to approve $1 billion in subsidies for consumers to buy devices
that would convert digital signals into analog so they could be viewed
on current TVs. However, the panel rejected Sen. John McCain's
proposal to set a hard deadline that would require local broadcasters
to switch their TV signals from analog to digital by 2009.

Phillip Swann, president of TVPredictions.com, and a nationally known authority on TV technology issues, released this statement upon hearing the news:

"The committee's decision is a cowardly and ineffective way to tackle the problem of switching the nation's TV signals from digital to analog.

The ineffective part: By eliminating the 2009 deadline, it will also
eliminate the incentive for anyone to use the federal subsidy ($1
billion) to get a converter box. Consumers will know that the current
deadline (requiring 85 percent of residents in a market to have the
necessary equipment before the signals are switched) will not be
met for years and years. So, why rush out and get a converter box?
Or, for that matter, a Digital TV. Bottom line: Today's action will have
no impact on accelerating the transition. In fact, it might even delay
it further by creating more confusion in the marketplace. (See Burns
amendment below.)

The cowardly part: It's an election year. Clearly, the committee members did not want to appear to be taking away anyone's TV --even five years from now. Sen. McCain said after the vote that it's unlikely the bill will survive in its current form. He is right. And, it
should not. It was a pure election year action, designed also to
appease local broadcasters who clearly have great influence,
particularly in an election year.

The new version, as amended by Sen. Conrad Burns, a former
broadcaster, also gives the Federal Communications Commission
the right to possibly waive the requirement that local broadcasters
must turn over their signals if the switch to digital would cause
consumer disruption. That language is guaranteed to create more
confusion in the marketplace. Consumers will ask: Is the digital
transition for real? Or, will the FCC decide at the last minute that the
switch can not be done because of a possible 'consumer
disruption.'?

The issue will leave consumers confused. And, when consumers are
confused, they don't buy new products, such as Digital TVs. This is
terrible news for advocates of Digital TV. Sen. McCain, who wants to
ensure that current local analog signals are eventually used for
emergency purposes, is right in saying that this was a victory for a
powerful special interest -- local broadcasters. The senator says he
plans to re-introduce his proposal for a firm deadline in a different bill.

Finally, for those who say that the federal government should not
"force" someone to buy a new TV or converter box, I believe you are
right. However, that is no longer the issue. The federal government
has already decided to approve the transition. The issue now is how
-- and when -- it's done. I believe the transition plan must be clear
and firm so everyone knows how to respond. The Burns amendment
makes it fuzzier than the picture on a 1959 Philco."

Phillip Swann can be reached for interviews at 703-505-3064 or at:
swann@tvpredictions.com. He has been quoted as an expert on TV
issues in dozens of publications, including The Chicago Tribune,
The Associated Press and The Hollywood Reporter, and has been a
guest expert on many TV and radio shows, including Fox News and
CNN.

An example of a potentially good piece of legislation gone bad - now it is just a piece. Personally, I would like to see more incentives for broadcasters and consumers alike to adopt DTV standards NLT 2008.

Who cares? I'ld prefer the government stay out of stuff like this.

The OTA stations are doing a nice job converting to HDTV. Seems like a majority of the prime time lineups are HD (did you catch LOST???). They'll get there eventually.

Anyways, if anyone wants a big screen TV, the only choice available is HDTV. You can't even find a SD rear projector anymore.

-John

John, it's not an HDTV problem as much as it is an RF problem. The problem is all the "garbage" cramming the airwaves during the analog/digital conversion. In my case:

- DC analog 26 (PBS) will trash Richmond digital 26 when they go full-power
- Richmond analog 35 (FOX) will trash DC digital 35 (WDCA) when they go full-power
- Charlottesville digital 46 (41-1) is butting heads with Baltimore digital 46 (45-1)
- DC analog 32 is trashing Charlottesville digital 32 (29-1), WVIR, NBC
- Baltimore analog 54 is butting heads with Richmond digital 54 (NBC)
- Anapolis digital 42 is butting heads with Richmond digital 42
- there are others...but I don't recall the specifics at this time

As you can see....I care! The sooner the FCC mandates the swift conversion to DTV the better IMO.

This is bad news.

Digital TV should have happened 10 years ago. I don't see what the problem is. People with analog tvs wouldn't lose their channels, the government would have paid for them.

We should all contact our congressmen/women and complain about this.

I wonder if they are concerned about those people who just have rabbit ears on their TVs that get a really snowy picture. They wouldn't get anything on digital with a really poor signal.

seandudley said:
I wonder if they are concerned about those people who just have rabbit ears on their TVs that get a really snowy picture. They wouldn't get anything on digital with a really poor signal.
Once the transition occured and analog was gone the grade B contour could be redone based on digital reception? Those people could qualify for waivers and recieve HD from distant networks without subchannels cut out of the bandwidth.I sure would like those. OR the power used to broadcast analog could be given to the digital signals. Many stations do not use very high power for their digital signals. ALso there is talk of the 5th generation recievers only needing rabbit ears. That one really blows my mind. But unfortunately those are the next generation USDTV recievers, the service destroying our HD bandwidth.

IMO this 5th generation chip could be a lifesaver for Voom!!!!!!. Are you listening Dolan??????????????????????

vurbano said:
IMO this 5th generation chip could be a lifesaver for Voom!!!!!!. Are you listening Dolan??????????????????????
Do you know what kind of chip they are currently using in the VOOM box? I get the impression that it's not the latest and greatest.

After bruce posted all that information on MVDSS spectrum, I don't know how Voom doesn't use that new technology (wireless cellphone towers) to bring in people's locals, they could seriously pimp this like D*'s doing with their 4 new mega-satellites. I guess if Voom gets a bigger base they could probably still implement this before D* has 1,200 HD LiLs in place.

Where I'm at, all the channels have already gone digital, but, some channels are still dedicating tons of power to their analog signal and a weak slice of that goes to digital I guess. Like our local FOX, you could probably pick it up with some rabbit ears 40 miles away, but with a digital tuner I'd say about 10 tops. If the digital conversion date was on lock down, I bet 1) the news station would cover it- bringing more attention to the subject, and 2) Stations may start shifting power over to their digital transmission instead of analog.

I think one major stumbling block is still is price

I enjoy my HDTV.... HDTV and Digtial tv are still fliping expensive the Digtal to analog converters are like 300 dollars by it self.

Now I seen Digital TVs that dont do hi def but have the digital tuner in them and it 150 to 200 dollars more than the same size by the same brand with the same core features.

If they want people to convert they need to make it cheap.... They need to push new technology to simiplify the digital to analog converstion. for the end user... Called when people can pick up a Digital to analog converter box at best buy for say 40 bucks people will move go digital when hdtv is the price of sdtv well people will buy hdtv... not everyone has the money for to go out and buy HDTV or even just a sd tv with a intergrated digital tuner.

I think they should change the law from "When 85% of the TV audience is CAPABLE of receiving a signal..." to "When 85% of the TV audience is REACHED by a Digital signal...", which would make it TODAY. 85% of all people today are capable of receiving at least 1 digital signal. If the FCC would turn off the Analog and have the boxes available, what is the issue? Force these other stations to turn on their Digital or go out of business.

Vote DarrellP for President of the FCC!!!

No joke, I'd vote that, their gay fine on CBS is the dumbest thing ever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)