Little help on RV installation, please

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Brighton, TN (near Memphis)
I'm trying to install an old Voom dish on my RV so that I can use my DP311 on an occasional basis. I can't seem to get a signal at all on the set. Will this 20" dish work ok as a Dish 500?

The first problem that I see is that I don't have an azimuth adapter. Would that keep me from getting any signal at all?

The receiver was set up for a DPP44 and I ran "Test Switch" and saved the results. Will that get me to a direct connection?

I will be appreciative of any help.

Update to original post

After much screwing around, I found 119 and all is working well. As long as I don't leave home and also leave the barn door open (can't close it with the dish on the front of the 5er) I've got TV. If I had not been at home and able to look at my dishes on the house, I don't think I would have ever figured it out. If anyone has any tips, I'd like to hear them. I've got the dish mounted on suction cups like you use to carry plate glass.

At least I know that the Voom dish works.

The Voom dish works as a Legacy 300 dish only seeing 1 satellite at a time. Do you have the 18" or the 24" dish? Vooms standard dish was only 18" but they did install some 24" dishes in areas that had reception problems.

Depending how much and where you RV, using a mount on the RV can limit you in many sites.

The best option is invest in a 500 or 1000.2 dish and a good tripod. You have the most flwxibility to deal with site variations.

RVing is different from tail-gating where the general setup in in a level parking lot. RV sites are rarely level and trees have a great way of blocking signals.

The Voom dish works as a Legacy 300 dish only seeing 1 satellite at a time. Do you have the 18" or the 24" dish? Vooms standard dish was only 18" but they did install some 24" dishes in areas that had reception problems.

It's got to be the 18" although it measures a little bigger. One satellite is OK, though. As I said, this is for occasional use. If I can pick up Fox News and a movie channel or two, I'll be happy.

Should I be using the 300 dis aiming coordinates with the Voom dish? Can I ignore the Skew with this dish?

300 is one lnb right down the barrel, D500 has 2 lnbs aimed between two sats to see both, about 5-7 degrees difference.

Hello, name here is Rick. First time post. We use a dish 500 dish on our coach. I got it on craigslist for $10.. I have a suction cup device I mounted to the dish and have it stuck on one of the slides outside. Aiming takes about 10 minutes. You might want to do the same.

Depending how much and where you RV, using a mount on the RV can limit you in many sites.

The best option is invest in a 500 or 1000.2 dish and a good tripod. You have the most flwxibility to deal with site variations.

RVing is different from tail-gating where the general setup in in a level parking lot. RV sites are rarely level and trees have a great way of blocking signals.

If I find a Dish 500, won't I need a switch to use with it?

A Dish Pro 500 Plus, the one that has been available for quite a while, has a built-in switch. The same for the Dish Pro 1000.2 Plus.

The old dish 300 didn't even have a skew setting, you probably have a 500 dish with a single lnb adapter on it. It measures approx. 18"x20"

Leave the skew at 90. If you found 119, you can raise the elevation about 6 degrees and turn it a little to the left to hit 110

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)