LIVE Charlie Chat Recap!

AndyMon said:
Why on earth would v* allow this? Why would anyone sign up with v* if they could get all of v*'s HD exclusives from Charlie? Only way I could see this happening would be if v* decided to call it quits insofar as being anything but a program provider or if they charged E* customers a substantial premium over what they charge their own customers. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

The question that came to my mind was: Is Charlie completley around the bend?! Since when do CEOs blurt out information about deals like that unless it's already been done? Especially in an off-handed, afterthought type manner. That opens up a WHOLE can of worms as regards to the SEC. I just wonder if he was blowing smoke up the guy's skirt. Charlie's idea of a bad joke.

AndyMon said:
Why would anyone sign up with v* if they could get all of v*'s HD exclusives from Charlie?
As long as they make the money, I don't see a conflict. V* isn't subsidizing customers (like D* and E*) in their purchases. If they are E* customers they don't have to deal with anything put pumping up the video to a bird.

Plus E* could use 148º to echo Voom offerings for the west coast. Voom would be more likely to get west coast subscribers if they were on a better bird. The more subscribers, the better!

JL

Stop getting so excited about a Voom deal. There's no announcement or anything to get worked up over.

It could be a simple deal to share transponder space for new "non voom exclusive" HD channels. Maybe E* could use the StarZ/TMC-HD feeds from VOOM and put Bravo/TNT on a 61.5 transponder that both services could use (just an example). If both Dish and VOOM only had to put up "half" the non exclusive channels it could be quite a boon for both services.

Echostar appears to have tranponder 28 dead on Echostar-3 perhaps VOOM could have rainbow-1 broadcast on 28 and put up some content that both could sub to like INHD.

There are lots of possibilities that would not involve "VOOM exclusives" or a merger or buyout.

Aren't D* and V* on different compression schemes? I may have dreamed that, but could swear I read that somewhere. That would preclude a sharing of transponders.

The audio clip of Charlie talking about VOOM is now up in the General Dish Network forum.

Hear his words directly from the man himself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts