Living in two locations.. Install tips?

ghostyroastytoasty

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 24, 2005
Beckley, WV
I am staying in one location while working during the week, and living at home on weekends... I want to have Dish at both locations, and was wanting to just add a DVR receiver to my account and install it at my other location. I currently have the 622 at home, but just need the standard dvr receiver at the other location. What would be the best and cheapest way to get a dish and receiver so I can install at the work housing location?

It's not a business location, rather an apartment that I stay in while working. I thought it would be easier to do that rather than spend $50 for the lowest plan and none of the channels I already receive at home.

DISH audit team will eventually find you out unless you connect the same phone numbered line to both sites. What you are suggesting is against the agreement that you signed. Auditors call and ask you to bring both receiver's info screen up to verify that they are at one location.

I am staying in one location while working during the week, and living at home on weekends... I want to have Dish at both locations, and was wanting to just add a DVR receiver to my account and install it at my other location. I currently have the 622 at home, but just need the standard dvr receiver at the other location. What would be the best and cheapest way to get a dish and receiver so I can install at the work housing location?

I might be considered one of the "bad" people here. When I had a lake house which was about 3 hours south of here (of course..on the lake) I had an entire dish setup at house and I had a receiver hooked up. This was at my 2nd location. At my "main house" I had another fully setup Dish system along with receivers. I just called dish and told them I had another receiver to activate and they told me it was 5 bucks a month more. No sweat. It was a 2700 model I believe. Never hooked up a phone line to it. Just don't let them know more than they need to. Since you are looking for a DVR, Id suggest you buy a refurb 501 or 508 so you don't add to your monthly cost. Those models have no DVR fees. I bought a refurb 501 off of Ebay from a WELL RESEARCHED Ebay seller and haven't had no problems.

You can go to Ebay and buy entire dish setups cheap or buy parts to make a full dish setup. All you have to do is just set it up at your 2nd location and hook up the reciever and don't plug a phone line in. I did that for about 3 years.

Ive since sold the lake house and I disconnected my service at the lake house (receiver only)

I might be considered one of the "bad" people here. When I had a lake house which was about 3 hours south of here (of course..on the lake) I had an entire dish setup at house and I had a receiver hooked up. This was at my 2nd location. At my "main house" I had another fully setup Dish system along with receivers. I just called dish and told them I had another receiver to activate and they told me it was 5 bucks a month more. No sweat. It was a 2700 model I believe. Never hooked up a phone line to it. Just don't let them know more than they need to. Since you are looking for a DVR, Id suggest you buy a refurb 501 or 508 so you don't add to your monthly cost. Those models have no DVR fees. I bought a refurb 501 off of Ebay from a WELL RESEARCHED Ebay seller and haven't had no problems.

You can go to Ebay and buy entire dish setups cheap or buy parts to make a full dish setup. All you have to do is just set it up at your 2nd location and hook up the reciever and don't plug a phone line in. I did that for about 3 years.

Ive since sold the lake house and I disconnected my service at the lake house (receiver only)
As posted that works until the DISH NAZI AUDIT TEAM catches up with you. If you dont believe us search for audit team posts even Claude (DISH STORE) has run afoul of them. They don't care if you are a large volume dealer or a customer.:mad::mad::mad:

Yeah I have read enough horror stories about those NAZI a**holes. Knock on wood..I never got a call cuz I didn't have a land line phone. I only had a cell phone (used the data features on it only) and since I'm deaf, I never answered the cell phone. To each their own. To me...having a 2nd dish location at the other place far outweighs paying 60 dollars a month when you can pay only 5.
An OLD friend..he and his brother in law back in the day (and I mean BACK IN THE DAY)..brother in law set up a Directv dish down in Florida at the "main house" and the brother came up here to mizzou and set up a 2nd dish location for my friend. They got the EVERYTHING pack (hbo..starz..playboy...the WORKS) AND split everything down the middle. They did that for like 4 or 5 years until they decided on some thing else and went their own ways with tv service.

If I disconnect the phone line and just pay the extra 5.95 a month or whatever, that would be fine correct? that way there is no way to call out considering I am not able to have high speed internet in either location.

If I disconnect the phone line and just pay the extra 5.95 a month or whatever, that would be fine correct? that way there is no way to call out considering I am not able to have high speed internet in either location.

Correct! If you so choose to have the 622 or at the very least..a 510 DVR...they will make you pay the 5 dollar extra receiver fee AND non-phone line hook-up fee. That is why I suggest you go the 501, 508 route because those DVRS are grandfathered with no DVR fees AND no phone line fees. How do I know? I have 2 501s and a 301 running in my house.

Also, if you so choose to WANT to watch a PPV movie at your 2nd location you have 2 options: Option 1 is go online...log in to your Dish account and order your PPVs there. PPVs will be distributed to all recievers on the account. Option 2 is to call and use the automated robots to order the PPVS. I KNOW it is a dollar more to go those routes, but I don't watch PPVs that much so its nothing for me to do that.
Depending on your financial perceptions...it is like investing hundred dollar to save yourself money every month. Best example I can give you is this: You having siding put on your house along with foam housewrap underneath the siding. You invest in that just to save yourself about 30 to 40 dollars a month on your utility bill, correct?
Same thing with this route..you invest oh say, 200 at most to save yourself 50 bucks a month. It will pay for itself in about 4 months.

You can either go the Ebay Route or contact Claude at Dish Store and see if he has any refurbed 501 or 508 for sale as well as complete dish setup.

I already have a 622, so that isnt an option. I was going to get a standard dvr for the second home since I do not have a hdtv there. So I would be paying the fees anyways... No biggie

I already have a 622, so that isnt an option. I was going to get a standard dvr for the second home since I do not have a hdtv there. So I would be paying the fees anyways... No biggie

Ok I meant getting a standard DVR for the 2nd home such as the 501 or 508.

I would hate to see you get another 622 and pay double fees when you could go the cheapest route.

Anyways... Best of luck to ya!

The way I interpreted it was that the dvr fee covered all dvr equipment

Correct me if I am wrong (other readers please correct me if I am wrong) But no....you pay DVR fees for EACH. The way I understand it is your 1st "main primary" tuner (tuner 1) is your DVR fee and your 2nd tuner fee (tuner 2) is 5 dollars mirror fee or something very similar to that (however DISH wanted to word it). Im not FOR SURE but that is what I understand..SO FAR.

Directv is what you are thinking of. I am PRETTY SURE that their DVR fee cover ALL DVRS. Sorta like 1 fee for all DVRS. Dish does not do this. They want to make money.

Don't take my word for it. Do a search for DVR fees here in this forum and you will come up with a mountain of information on whats what. People have been debating this since Dish came up with the idea of DVR fees a couple years ago (if its been that long)

Take the 622 with you back and forth between locations. Call Dish and tell them you no longer have a home phone and give them a cellphone #. They'll tell you you'll have to pay the fee.... Big deal if you compare the $50/mo fee you pay for your current subscription that you'd need TWICE vs $5.95 per month for no-phone-connected fee.

The audit nazis won't bother you either since you'll only have (1) receiver on your account.

Lol taking the 622 back and forth is impossible for me. It's in my home theater cabinet. and the power plug is VERY hard to get to. I also try to keep it stable because of the HD inside.

Direct me to proper place besides Ebay so I can look up some prices to compare to.. Thanks guys!

Word of warning:

501/508/721 are becoming increasingly hard to find/costly because of it's NON DVR fee thingy. I'll give you ebay link of a 501, 508, and I'll direct 2 links. Those latter links you will have to ask around/ask the store for 50xx and 721's if they have it.

DP Dish Network 501 Receiver DVR with Remote and Card - (eBay item 160152840919 end time Sep-06-07 16:08:27 PDT)

508:

Dish Network 508 DVR Receiver - No Monthly DVR Fee!!! - (eBay item 320152531271 end time Sep-03-07 20:19:40 PDT)

Dish Store (Ask for Claude)

The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

And Finally:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/satelliteguys-classifieds/