LN/LNB?

csf

Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
My current setup is 1 dish 500 with a dual lnb 110&119 and another dish 500 with a single ln pointed at 61.5. I am borrowing the LN from a friend who wants it back. I have an extra dual LNB in my attic not being used. Can I hook up one side of that LNB and use it for 61.5? I don't know if there is a difference between an LNB and an LN just know it says 2 different things on them? Thanks

They are all LNBs. You only need to check if your equipment is dish pro or legacy. You cant mix the two. You need to use a legacy equipment for lnbs and switchs or all dish pro. There is also dish pro plus which can be mixed down with dish pro stuff.

dish pro will have a black DP on them. Dish pro plus will say dish pro plus. Legacy will just be grey with no markings. Check out dishstore or ebay to see some pictures.

A Dual is one LNB that sees one satellite and has two outputs.
The single unit that sees 2 satellites is a Twin, which could be legacy, dp or dpPLUS.

If the 61.5 LNB feeds into the Twin, you have the DPP version. If your spare Twin is DP you can likely use it. I think you'll also be OK with it if you run through a DP34 switch. See EKB: Add a 61.5° Dish to Your System for more detailed discussion.

The most important part, as previously stated, is that you can't mix legacy with DP/P. If you have more questions, let us know exactly what you have and someone will point you in the right direction.

I guess I would have a twin then. It has 2 of the white ends on it and 4 cables coming out. I guess my question should be I have a twin LNB can I just run one side (2 cables) to a dp44 switch? Sorry , I'm not very good at this stuff you guys are a huge help though!

I guess I would have a twin then. It has 2 of the white ends on it and 4 cables coming out. I guess my question should be I have a twin LNB can I just run one side (2 cables) to a dp44 switch? Sorry , I'm not very good at this stuff you guys are a huge help though!

CSF,

Your Description of your TWIN as having 4 outputs, means it is a Legacy LNBF. This means you can NOT use a DP34 or DP44 Switch. You will not be able to use a Dish Pro LNBF on your second Dish for 61.5. You will be required to get a SW64 Switch and you MUST run 2 Cables from side of your TWIN for a total of 4 Cables in addition to 2 cables from a the Legacy LNBF mounted on your secondary Dish for 61.5.

Using Legacy Switches will require one cable per tuner for all your receivers. If you have any Dual Tuner receivers (622, 722, 522, 625, 322) then you must have a separate cable run from a SW64 switch for each tuner. This limits the number of dual tuner receivers a SW64 will support to 2. You can connect a use a second SW64 switch, but its installation is complicated by requiring 4 Feed through loads and 4 Satellite splitters with power pass on one side. The wiring is very specific as well.

John

How is your second dish 500 at 61.5 tied into your system then. If your LNB has 2 coax connecters then its a twin. If it has 4 then its a quad. You would need a switch to tie in the 61.5 if this is legacy equipment. It would be cheaper and easier on this setup to just get a Dish Pro plus twin for 110/119 and get a Dish pro dual for 61.5. This way you can run 2 receivers (4 tuners) and no need to additional external switches.

Last edited:
That sounds like the best idea. Does a Dish Pro Dual have 2 coax outs on it? If so do I run both of them to the switch or just one. Thanks again for the help.

That sounds like the best idea. Does a Dish Pro Dual have 2 coax outs on it? If so do I run both of them to the switch or just one. Thanks again for the help.

Yes it has 2 coax ports on it. In the case of using the DPP twin you would run one wire from the dual to the twin on the 110/119 dish. From there the wires would go straight to the receivers. No external switches. With legacy switches you would indeed run 2 cables and use a external switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)