LNB Drift Service

bkushner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Audubon, NJ
Having a problem with LNB Drift -7 now showing on 61.5/110/119 picture drop outs etc. Is this a service call that Dish covers or will I be responsible?

Having a problem with LNB Drift -7 now showing on 61.5/110/119 picture drop outs etc. Is this a service call that Dish covers or will I be responsible?

They'll come out to replace it. Call up and request them to come out and replace your LNBFs. Make sure you mention not only the amount of drift, but that you're having a lot of picture dropouts.

I had this problem last year and Dish said they had a special program to replace the LNB's. They replaced it at no charge and I have had no problem since...

They will replace both, the 110/119 and the 61.5 for no charge? And this is the LNB's and not the dish moving? These are oriiginal LNB's 9 years old.

They will replace both, the 110/119 and the 61.5 for no charge? And this is the LNB's and not the dish moving? These are oriiginal LNB's 9 years old.

Yep. They will replace any failing part. And, "drift" has noting to do with the dish physically moving. It has to do with a component in the LNBF malfunctioning and causing the frequencies to "collide" thus causing the receiver to lose it's lock.

It's done free of charge because the manufacturer had a defect in the product. Dish got awarded money as a result of this. Dish got too cheap and this was the result.

If the drift is 7 on all sat. the problem may not be the LNBF. If there is a poor conection or the linequality is poor it is possible to get the same drift that you have. A service tech will have to check all connections as well as the lnbf.

If the drift is 7 on all sat. the problem may not be the LNBF. If there is a poor conection or the linequality is poor it is possible to get the same drift that you have. A service tech will have to check all connections as well as the lnbf.

If I go to a service call with ANY drift showing I replace the LNBFs no matter what the other problems are. I don't want a freaking 12 or 30 day TC.

Yep. They will replace any failing part. And, "drift" has noting to do with the dish physically moving. It has to do with a component in the LNBF malfunctioning and causing the frequencies to "collide" thus causing the receiver to lose it's lock.

I just spent an half hour arguing tech support over drift and the need to replace the lnb on 61.5 dish. The drift was only showing up at -6, however ever since they have moved more channels to 61.5 I have been experiencing signal loss and pixation. I basically had to threaten to cancel dish and go to directv before they even wanted to send someone out to look at the problem, even though I have the dish home protection package. Then they brought up the subject of a $29 service call, which I reminded them to waive, whereas directv and/or time warner would do an installation for free.

It is really sad, when you have been a sub for five years and never had a service call and then you have to fight with tech support to fix a problem, after being left on hold for 20 minutes while being reminded by their recording of what a most valued customer I am.:mad:

I just spent an half hour arguing tech support over drift and the need to replace the lnb on 61.5 dish. The drift was only showing up at -6, however ever since they have moved more channels to 61.5 I have been experiencing signal loss and pixation. I basically had to threaten to cancel dish and go to directv before they even wanted to send someone out to look at the problem, even though I have the dish home protection package. Then they brought up the subject of a $29 service call, which I reminded them to waive, whereas directv and/or time warner would do an installation for free.

It is really sad, when you have been a sub for five years and never had a service call and then you have to fight with tech support to fix a problem, after being left on hold for 20 minutes while being reminded by their recording of what a most valued customer I am.:mad:

That sucks! Sometimes they can be real jerks. They even hassle me sometimes, wanting to "troubleshoot" things with me on the phone. I have to gently remind them that I'm a TECHNICIAN, and have been doing this for a long time, please just do as I ask!

When they give me the runaround I just hang up and call back. They have been replacing these lnb's for free and having someone come out for free to replace these manufactur defects. This is another example of Dish Network being cheap and only doing something unless someone threatens to cancel. If I get as far as saying I want to cancel service I am going to tell them that they owe me something for my time and aggervation of trying to get something that was supposed to have been replaced for free or to just go ahead and cancel it. Thank goodness Dish and Direct didn't merge or things would be worse than what they are right now. Think about it.

A few questions on this:

For the past year or so, my drift has been increasing from -4 to -5 to -6, and today for the first time, it hit -7 on 110/119. 61.5 is fine. FYI I have 1 622, and use a Dish 500 at 110/119, and another Dish 500 with 1 LNB at 61.5.

First, isn't this something that the "call out" report reports, and doesn't Dish contact you to get the LNB swapped out? Or, as it almost sounds like from this thread, do I have to call? Also, I'm an ATT bundled customer. Does this change anything?

Since I'm a dishHD sub, and get almost all my programming from 61.5, is this going to affect me much beyond the 6 HDs from 110? Or, because 61.5 connects with the built in 110/119 LNB, is this a problem for all sats? I have noticed some occational audio dropouts on the new channels, but it seems several are reporting this issue.

It goes up higher when it is hot outside... so call when you can read the numbers off... or just fudge the numbers and tell them the high number when you call.

7.0 is the number they are worried about... the other numbers are Serial Number, Manufacturer, and LNB Type.

my drift has been reporting -7 or -6 for a year now and no drop outs of the signal that I ever see other, weird

Are they required to come out and replace the lnb's or will they ship you the replacements and allow you to replace them yourself?

Wow. You learn something new everyday. I always figured the LNB drift was referring to the dish physically moving from wind, etc "The dish is drifting from it's original locked position". Who'da thunk it was referring to faulty equipment...

OK I have a couple of LNB Drift 101 questions...

1) Where do you find the what the drift is? I want to call my wife at home and have her check it. (I remember seeing this before, but can't remember how/where)

2) If you tell them the drift is -7 and they come out to replace it, what if it is only -5 or something when the tech comes out? Will they charge you? Or say "Call us when it is actually at -7 next time. Good DAY, sir!"?

It goes up higher when it is hot outside... so call when you can read the numbers off... or just fudge the numbers and tell them the high number when you call.

7.0 is the number they are worried about... the other numbers are Serial Number, Manufacturer, and LNB Type.
How you can get it ? Is there hidden screen with the numbers ?

yes you are responsible..to call dish and set up a service call..that's the extent of your responsibility.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)