LNB Drift

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chikagobnd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
lynchburg, va
I was running through diagnostics on my 211 receiver and got a message that said I have an "LNB Drift" on Sat. 129. I'm not having any problems with reception, but do notice the signal meter is much lower than 110 or 119. Is this anything I need to be concerned about?

What was the level? It is only an issue past 7 or 8. (You should see an (e-*number*) in the details) The newer receivers, yours included, can pretty well compensate below that level.

What was the level? It is only an issue past 7 or 8. (You should see an (e-*number*) in the details) The newer receivers, yours included, can pretty well compensate below that level.

If I remember correctly, I believe it was e -6. I will double check when I get home, but I believe that's what I was looking at.

I was running through diagnostics on my 211 receiver and got a message that said I have an "LNB Drift" on Sat. 129. I'm not having any problems with reception, but do notice the signal meter is much lower than 110 or 119. Is this anything I need to be concerned about?
I had exactly the same problem. I lived with it for over a year, because I wasn't having any reception problems. About six weeks ago all that changed. I started getting "signal lost---reacquiring" messages several times a day. Satellite 129 had gone from yellow to red. So I had to have a service call and get the LNB replaced. I had no use of satellite 129 for nearly a week, but all is OK now.

Unfortunately, the replacement didn't come free. Even with DishHomeProtection it cost me about $30. Without DishHome it would have been over $100.

If you've got spare cash, make sure you have DishHome and then call for service. If you don't have the cash, you can wait it out and hope for the best. But eventually your LNB will probably fail.

I had exactly the same problem. I lived with it for over a year, because I wasn't having any reception problems. About six weeks ago all that changed. I started getting "signal lost---reacquiring" messages several times a day. Satellite 129 had gone from yellow to red. So I had to have a service call and get the LNB replaced. I had no use of satellite 129 for nearly a week, but all is OK now.

Unfortunately, the replacement didn't come free. Even with DishHomeProtection it cost me about $30. Without DishHome it would have been over $100.

If you've got spare cash, make sure you have DishHome and then call for service. If you don't have the cash, you can wait it out and hope for the best. But eventually your LNB will probably fail.

Wonderful...I'm in an MDU, so I have to go through my local retailer which will probably end up costing me double what it would if I could just go through Dish. I'll look into DishHome and see if that'll help me at all. Thanks!

Why did you pay the $30.00? I had a drift of -8 but paid nothing for the service call. I have the Dish Home Protection plan and have never paid for any service calls. I always ask if there will be a charge when calling for service and am always told "no charge." I would check with Dish to find out why.

Why did you pay the $30.00? I had a drift of -8 but paid nothing for the service call. I have the Dish Home Protection plan and have never paid for any service calls. I always ask if there will be a charge when calling for service and am always told "no charge." I would check with Dish to find out why.

Yeah, I had seen elsewhere that at least the LNB Drift problems were/are experienced by more than a few people and that Dish would fix the prob at no charge. But I looked at the DishHome details at the website, and it says even with the plan, you pay a $29 service call fee. Like I said though, I had heard(not sure if it's true) that the LNB Drift was being taken care by Dish at no charge.

Once it starts detecting an LNB drift, the problem has started and the reading will get worse until the LNB fails. A year or two ago, I had the same problem and called Dish. They had a program at that time for a free service call and LNB replacement. Good thing, too because they would have lost me as a customer if they charged me to replace their faulty equipment. I think the free program was set up because they knew that they had a problem with their LNB quality.

Yeah, I had seen elsewhere that at least the LNB Drift problems were/are experienced by more than a few people and that Dish would fix the prob at no charge. But I looked at the DishHome details at the website, and it says even with the plan, you pay a $29 service call fee. Like I said though, I had heard(not sure if it's true) that the LNB Drift was being taken care by Dish at no charge.

Yes, this is true -- free replacement regardless of Dish Home plan or not. I would insist on free replacement like they did before -- Dish isn't in a position to lose more customers.

I just had all of my LNB's replaced yesterday. 110 and 119 had a drift of -9 and 61.5 had a drift of -6. I was not getting reception problems but I wanted to be on the safe side. When the installer came he said since I was not getting a signal loss he did not want to go on the roof and replace it because it was cold. I told him that I called for service and you better replaced them. He then when to his truck and got two new LNB's. A twin and single LNB. I still had to pay $29 for the service call so I think that free call thing is bunk.

Also just asking that my aunt has DirecTV for years now and she never got a drift LNB. Are Dish LNB's cheaper that they start to fail after a couple of years.

Yes, this is true -- free replacement regardless of Dish Home plan or not. I would insist on free replacement like they did before -- Dish isn't in a position to lose more customers.

I had the problem and was charged. :mad:

Dish using band-stacking technology (Dish Pro or DP) and secondary LO design (by third company) was flaky, prone to temperature changes, moisture and aging.
DTV using simple (one LO) Ka LNBFs.

There is not supposed to be a charge for the defective lnb's. Dish Network was paid by the manufacturer of the lnb's to make up for the replacements because the manufacturer had defective lnb's a while back. I believe all the newer eyes are from a different manufacturer.

I was losing signal on 129 with e-7 and the Dish tech replaced the LNBs last week, no charge for LNBs and no charge for the service call. I went through ceo at echostar after being told by a chat rep several times that e-7 was not enough drift to cause my signal loss (as I was staring at the acquiring signal screen).

I don't have the Dish Home Plan either.

I had mine replaced several months ago for 129 drift and there was no charge. In fact I have been a customer for a dozen years or so and no one has ever tried to sell me a Home Protection Plan. I never even knew one existed until it was mentioned on this site. "John"

I was losing signal on 129 with e-7 and the Dish tech replaced the LNBs last week, no charge for LNBs and no charge for the service call. I went through ceo at echostar after being told by a chat rep several times that e-7 was not enough drift to cause my signal loss (as I was staring at the acquiring signal screen).

I don't have the Dish Home Plan either.

I was originally told that the amount of drift I was experiencing was not significant enough for replacement. I asked what reading would indicate replacement and was told that they usually let them fail and then replace them.

I told him that I hoped Dish was prepared to credit me for the lost service when the LNB failed IF they were lucky enough to keep me as a customer after letting my service dissapear when they knew it was going to happen. I was then told that that they had a program for free replacement. This was a couple of years ago.

I've recently lost transponders 10 and 18 on 61.5. One of them is all international channels, the other is all public-interest channels that I never watch, but I'm worried that the problem will get worse and affect my HD service. Even before the drift problem started, I had much lower signal on most transponders on 61.5 than on 110 and 119.

The status page reads "0x00, 0x00, 61.5(e -6)".

Should I call, or should I wait and see if Dish calls me? Also, I don't have DHPP at the moment, should I add it until this gets sorted out, or are they still replacing LNBs for free?

UPDATE: After checking the 0's in my signal strength readings against the transponder usage at http://www.dishchannelchart.digiblur.com/beam.pdf, the total lost transponders are 8, 10, 12, 14, and 18. All are channels I don't watch, most are channels I don't subscribe to.

Last edited:
It will most likely continue to get worse, when it does you wont get much signal on 129 and get the aquiring satellite alot. Once your dish is installed you can call the regular dish to come fix it, it doesnt have to be the retailer as far as i know. I know i have gone to repair jobs done by retailers in the MDU's that have contracts with them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)