LNB->fiber; solutions/recommendations sought...

rm-fr star

Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Inside the Beltway
Hi:

I'm an EE with a friend who is building his family a new house in the boonies outside the Bay area. Along with many other issues [solar power and heating systems, 10Kgal of water for firefighting, Internet access... and did I mention the earthquake codes...?], it will be 1000 ft from the dish farm to his house in the woods.

I'm investigating solutions to this problem. I've very dubious about anything coax-based; besides the losses, there's the ground differential one. [I.e. -- When Mother Nature sends sparks; ports get blown up...]. We're using fiber between the two locations for other functions to avoid that. The question is: how best to do that for the TV?

We could put the receivers at the dish and use HDMI over fiber, but I also want to explore hauling the LNB outputs via fiber. From what I've read so far, this is feasible if expen$ive.

But I've not been able to locate many specifics on this approach, especially recent reports by designers/users. Does anyone here have details such as suppliers, models, and such that have been used for this? Best of all would be any direct knowledge of installed systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)