LNB Power?

Using 10W per LNB seems like a lot for a small solid state device.

I'm presuming you could use a Kill-A-Watt meter in line with the DVR power cord & measure the power. Then disconnect the coax so that the LNBs are not drawing any current & then measure what the DVR uses. The difference should be how much the LNBs use.
My wee brain figured out this simple test just before you posted. Just did the test on my 612 DVR.

With the coaxial cable (running 2-LNBs, haven't yet upgraded to a 1000.2) connected, the 612 settled at 38 watts. Disconnecting the cable, the 612 bounced from 28-29 watts after a couple of minutes to settle. So my simple math suggests that each LNB uses 5 watts. So your 10 watt comment is correct. This was the answer I was seeking in my OP.

One has to wonder why the 612 needs 28 watts just to run itself in this era of low power electronics? By comparison, my 42" HD TV uses 1-watt waiting for a command from the remote.

Thanks for the post.

Last edited:
My wee brain figured out this simple test just before you posted. Just did the test on my 612 DVR.

With the coaxial cable (running 2-LNBs, haven't yet upgraded to a 1000.2) connected, the 612 settled at 38 watts. Disconnecting the cable, the 612 bounced from 28-29 watts after a couple of minutes to settle. So my simple math suggests that each LNB uses 5 watts. So your 10 watt comment is correct. This was the answer I was seeking in my OP.

One has to wonder why the 612 needs 28 watts just to run itself in this era of low power electronics? By comparison, my 42" HD TV uses 1-watt waiting for a command from the remote.

Thanks for the post.
Hard drive? Probably an old hard drive? I've had my 612 for four years now I think.

Is it the HDD or the fan that can be heard running all the time? IIRC something I read said it was the HDD because of the buffer. But when you turn on the DVR the buffer is empty, at least it seems that way on my 722k. So is it the fan that is always running? I'm guessing it is in order to cool off the unit which does run warm.

I am unaware of any DVR on the market that has ever or is Energy Star compliant. As for having DVR off or out of standby, no unattended recordings. My hunch is that DVR's are adifferent beast wit a need or better, more reliable perfomance and longevity with a fairly constant load, especially constant updating so that the device and conumer expectation of INSTANT on, recording, access experience. For many devices, the whole lower power and Energy Star qualifications are more about marketing and making some people feel good. An HDD, or any electronic device with constant, stable load will outlast the wear of frequnt surges to power or spin up. There is a cost, albeit a different cost, but a higer out of pocket cost when it comes time to replace the expensive electronic device for being penny wise and pound foolish. Now, let's never use the central air, wash by hand, hang to dry, use an ice box, never vacume, get rid of our A/V surround sound, throw out the power hog PC's (monitor alone before factoring in the CPU, etc.), cease use of hot water (always on to heat water heaters waste, but tankless water heaters require copious draws of electricity to fas heat the water), and more and we can really make adifference on power use so profound that powerplants could be shut down. While we are obessed with the drip of water, there are rivers of water being wasted jus a few inches away.

As a point of reference, the HTPC that I built uses only 2 watts when in the sleep mode. That is the same as my HP desktop PC.

The HTPC wakes up, records, then goes back to sleep. It also wakes up by itself to update the EPG. The most it uses is 56W when recording 4 HD programs at the same time while playing back another one.

As a point of reference, the HTPC that I built uses only 2 watts when in the sleep mode. That is the same as my HP desktop PC. The HTPC wakes up, records, then goes back to sleep. It also wakes up by itself to update the EPG. The most it uses is 56W when recording 4 HD programs at the same time while playing back another one.

This is falls in line as to what I saw.

The HTPC wakes up, records, then goes back to sleep. It also wakes up by itself to update the EPG. The most it uses is 56W when recording 4 HD programs at the same time while playing back another one.
Will it record Dish content or just OTA? Also, what power supply? I remember testing a 380W Earthwatts PS, it used 8 watts just to stay on and that was the best of all the PS's I tested.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)