Local ads on satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Apologies if this has been discussed a lot in the past but I haven't been visiting here as much... I've noticed that a lot of the satellite channels now have local advertising. I was wondering how they do this? Do they put local ads on a transponder at a certain time and capture them to the DVR and then let the DVR splice them in, or is it done through the broadband connection?

Thanks!

Jeff

I'm not sure if it is delivered via broadband or satellite, but I would imagine it is most likely satellite recorded during the overnight to their reserved part of the drive.
Then it is inserted into playback as you described. It can be a big revenue source if they go after it, but to date it is pretty small.
Think of the amount of local commercials you see on cable tv - much larger portion compared to DirecTV.

BTW, if you change the channel during a local ad and then change back, you will see the underlaying national ad, which is usually a K-Tel/RONCO type ad or something for a PPV or other DirecTV upgrade.

This help during election season. Much rather be lied to by K-Tel.

Anybody actually get truly local ads like from a local business or just locally targeted ads (like political ones)? I've seen a bunch of political ones and ad council PSAs but that's about it.

Anybody actually get truly local ads like from a local business or just locally targeted ads (like political ones)? I've seen a bunch of political ones and ad council PSAs but that's about it.

Yes, I have seen ads for Boston area businesses since I moved here 2 years ago.

BTW, if you change the channel during a local ad and then change back, you will see the underlaying national ad, which is usually a K-Tel/RONCO type ad or something for a PPV or other DirecTV upgrade.

This help during election season. Much rather be lied to by K-Tel.
Can't forget the DR Trimmer and all the other things DR does ... :shh

My market is pretty small (Huntington, WV) , and we get some local ads. Slip and fall lawyers, car dealers, occasionally a restaurant. Also get political ads which are obviously less than the market, like for my Delegate, as my Delegate district is pretty much my neighborhood and the DMA spans 62 counties in three states.

Daughter lives in Lexington, which is a more prosperous market (then agian so is every market these days) and she gets a lot more local ads. One immigration lawyer seems to have bought a bunch of ads. I guess the theory is the large number of non-English channels mean dishes are popular with immigrants. Probably ture.

Cool - thanks. Yes, I've seen more than political ads also - mostly car dealerships. I can imagine there's a lot more money to be made here.

I have no DVR and still see local ads on DirecTV. Sometimes they'll slip up and I'll see an ad for a restaurant or some other local business who's closest location is atleast over 100 miles away.

How can DirecTV or Dish replace ads? Those ads were paid for with the expectation they would be seen by everyone watching the program (ignoring bathroom runs and skipping). So how can they be overwritten and replaced?

How can DirecTV or Dish replace ads? Those ads were paid for with the expectation they would be seen by everyone watching the program (ignoring bathroom runs and skipping). So how can they be overwritten and replaced?
Afaik, with most cable/satellite channels part of the agreement is the cable/sat companies get a certain # of minutes per hour to insert ads. It made more sense for cable companies because they are locally based and can insert local ads. Since satellite is nationally based where everybody in the US gets the same video, there was no way to air truly local commercials, so in that space they aired either commercials for pay per view or other dish/direct programming. These new locals are airing in place of the pay per view ads. Dish and direct can do whatever they want to with those allotted minutes.

Reactions: navychop
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts