Local Channel Mapping in Guide

Tugboat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
I really hate some of the changes made in the latest firmware. The one that ticks me off the most is the local channel mapping in the guide.

Previously I had it off so only my OTA HD channels showed up at the top of the guide with the local channel numbers. Now all of the Dish provided local channels are in the guide with the local channel numbers. I now have three entries for just about each local channel. One SD, one Dish HD and one OTA HD. There's no longer a way to disable this.

I know I can make a list that excludes the other channels, but it doesn't help when I manually enter the channel number. In the past all I had to do was enter "2" and go right to my OTA CBS. Now it gives me the Dish HD channel and this brings up the box about stopping a recording to change channels. Since I record quite a bit, this box comes up too darn often. If I want my local OTA CBS I have to enter "002.1" to get to my OTA.

So Dish, please put back the ability to turn off local channel mapping and the ability to turn off video in the guide.

yeah make a list, what sucks about it is almost every night with the 622 my list reverts to my channels and there they are again

I always locked out the sd channel versions of all HD channels anyway , so I never see them. My dad & mom have the same 722k and they had sd versions pop up on their locals and I had to go and lock theirs out too. If I didn't , they would end up watching the sd versions instead . They don't pay attention to the HD banner at all.

One minor benefit to the eastern arc, no SD locals mixed in with the others.
Other than that, I like have the OTA ones mixed with the HD ones.

channel locks are the only way to go.You can block whatever channels you wish and then hide locked,that way they don't appear in the guide and won't be there by pressing to go directly to a channel such as channel 2.

My mom does the same thing! I can tell the difference and see the HD in the banner or on the station logo, but she doesn't seem to ever notice. I'm constantly telling her she's on the wrong channel. Think I'll try the locking and see how it works.

I'm going to try the locking. I didn't use it before because I wasn't sure if I locked the mapped one if it would also lock it in the 6xxx area as well.

Well locking and hiding the channels isn't any better than creating a list. Either way I get the Dish HD instead of the OTA HD channel if I just press the channel number. It might not show up in the guide, but it is still the default channel when manually entering the channel number. Just have to get used to adding "00" before the channel number and a ".1" after it when manually accessing my OTA HD channels. Thanks Dish.

Well locking and hiding the channels isn't any better than creating a list. Either way I get the Dish HD instead of the OTA HD channel if I just press the channel number. It might not show up in the guide, but it is still the default channel when manually entering the channel number. Just have to get used to adding "00" before the channel number and a ".1" after it when manually accessing my OTA HD channels. Thanks Dish.

Strange..when I lock channels out and hide (remember you have to lock system with a password) the channels I lock can't be seen at all.

A little OT, but with the Motorola DVR I had from Insight, the only thing I liked about it is that you could also "lock out" by programs. So if I didn't want anyone watching, uh, let's say Jerry Springer, I could block out that show without blocking out the channel all together. It was a great option.
Ghpr13:)

Strange..when I lock channels out and hide (remember you have to lock system with a password) the channels I lock can't be seen at all.

Can't be seen or accessed? Does locking and hiding actually tell the receiver not to tune in that channel even if you manually enter it from the reomote? If so, I must have done something wrong. When I manually enter the local channel number on the remote, it still brings up the one I blocked and hid. I'll try the process over again and see if I did something wrong.

Thanks

A little OT, but with the Motorola DVR I had from Insight, the only thing I liked about it is that you could also "lock out" by programs. So if I didn't want anyone watching, uh, let's say Jerry Springer, I could block out that show without blocking out the channel all together. It was a great option.
Ghpr13:)

Now that would be a great feature!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)