Local channels from satellite?

yankov

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
In many areas there are no local chanells available OTA. I'm currently unable to see any OTA channels in Concord/ East Bay/San Francisco Bay Area.
Would you like to local channels brodcast from satellite when VOOM has enough available bandwich?

grab this from another forum:

In my case Voom got a different installer to come out, he
seemed to know exacly what I needed for my location
(East Bay of San Francisco Bay Area) - he brought a Channelmaster
3021/4221. After some very fine direction adjustments
all OTA channels for my area showed up. No charge
by Voom.

BTW, first installer wanted to put a rotor on the Stealth to solve
the problem - I was not very keen on this, sounded like a clumsy solution
when antennaweb.org was indicating that the Stealth was
simply the wrong type of antenna to catch all channels in my area.
Glad Voom listened to me and had a more knowledgeable
guy sent out.

i would rather see national feeds of networks in hd/dt abc,nbc,cbs,fox,wb,upn,pbs- this would allow everyone to get the networks....not enough local programming worth carrying ALL the locals

rc

telekol said:
i would rather see national feeds of networks in hd/dt abc,nbc,cbs,fox,wb,upn,pbs- this would allow everyone to get the networks....not enough local programming worth carrying ALL the locals

rc
I agree with - 6-7 network feeds will be fine.

stucky_boss said:
grab this from another forum:

In my case Voom got a different installer to come out, he
seemed to know exacly what I needed for my location
(East Bay of San Francisco Bay Area) - he brought a Channelmaster
3021/4221. After some very fine direction adjustments
all OTA channels for my area showed up. No charge
by Voom.

BTW, first installer wanted to put a rotor on the Stealth to solve
the problem - I was not very keen on this, sounded like a clumsy solution
when antennaweb.org was indicating that the Stealth was
simply the wrong type of antenna to catch all channels in my area.
Glad Voom listened to me and had a more knowledgeable
guy sent out.
Thank you for this information.
Unfortunately bigger, eaglier antenna is not an option for me because of HOA regulations. I'm currently trying to get VOOM to pay for Sguareshooter antenna and it's installation - I will let you know if they agree to it and if it will make any difference.

Unless they are the network feeds, VOOM shouldn't bother. It's a waste of bandwidth. The primary reason I'm signing up with VOOM is for the HD, but beyond that it's because I know they won't waste all their bandwidth on local channels like Dish and DirecTV are. Sure, they will alienate some people, but it means more HD content and better PQ for a huge majority of potential VOOM subscribers. It's the smart way to go.

I agree, this is what they have in the UK "Freeview" we should not have to pay ANYTHING for a national local channel feed, there are some free local channels "up there" on DVB Mpeg2 satellite from around the country, thats what I use same shows but the news is from whatever local channel up pick up! But they are free!

PSB said:
I agree, this is what they have in the UK "Freeview" we should not have to pay ANYTHING for a national local channel feed, there are some free local channels "up there" on DVB Mpeg2 satellite from around the country, thats what I use same shows but the news is from whatever local channel up pick up! But they are free!
The only thing that is free in this world is Swiss cheese in the mousetrap. :)

UK viewers pay a tax based on how many TVs they have, even if they don't watch the national networks. I agree Voom should carry the national feeds, but only if legislation changes occur to allow everyone to get them. And that will NEVER happen, so what's the point. Voom giving people antennas is a clear indication that it isn't going to provide local channels throgh the satellite.

cyuhnke said:
UK viewers pay a tax based on how many TVs they have, even if they don't watch the national networks. I agree Voom should carry the national feeds, but only if legislation changes occur to allow everyone to get them. And that will NEVER happen, so what's the point. Voom giving people antennas is a clear indication that it isn't going to provide local channels throgh the satellite.
When I was on the phone with VOOM CSR yeasterday he told me that they get many requests to carry local channels on satellite. He said that company is aware of that , but did not speculate any further on what they might decide.

only national feeds and only for those that cant get it local OTA. ANything else is an unnecessary waste of bandwidth and doing this will increase subscribers.

There's no way the local tv stations around the country would ever let VOOM carry a national signal. The only way local stations get credit for you watching, is if you're watching them. This is why cable carries local channels and not a national channel. Sure would be easier for Comcast to carry only one ABC across the country, but ABC would never let that happen since they make a ton of money with their owned stations. This is the same reason you probably never get a wavier for your Direct TV to give you your local channels, the local stations won't get credit so they wont let you.

I believe that D* has started to carry the CBS feed if customers are able to get a waiver from their local affiliate. This would be the ideal way to go, but I agree that the locals will never grant those waivers without going through a lengthy appeals process with each channel.

yankov said:
Thank you for this information.
Unfortunately bigger, eaglier antenna is not an option for me because of HOA regulations. I'm currently trying to get VOOM to pay for Sguareshooter antenna and it's installation - I will let you know if they agree to it and if it will make any difference.

You can tell your HOA to shove it. (Assuming you are in the US). See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html . The HOA has no say on what over the air antenna you choose to use.

Hmm...

Although I know it would help Voom out with subscribers, I'd rather not see them broadcast via satellite. I'd rather not suck bandwidth up for local channels.

Then again, I rarely watch the local channels. I'll catch, "the big game," since they're broadcast on the locals but I don't really watch anything else. My wife watches a little but I don't think she'd lose sleep if we didn't have them.

The Rickster

rexoverbey said:
Local sd is free with cable so why not.

I don't know what cable company you're using, but most charge at least 15.00 for limited/broadcast basic.

Charter Cable. My whole bill was 20 bucks with expaned. I kept it for awhile to keep my locals I wasn't getting OTA. You where getting ripped.

seandudley said:
You can tell your HOA to shove it. (Assuming you are in the US). See http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html . The HOA has no say on what over the air antenna you choose to use.
I'm familiar with that legislation, but it only applies to the areas that are exclusively used by resident, such us patio or balcony. Roof is property of HO assotiation and this FCC regulitions unfortunately does not apply here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts