local channels look like crap for sports.. so does it get better, ever?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wilson2k3

Original poster
Oct 21, 2007
as long as i can remember my local sports & most shows in general on my directv local channels have looked really bad, fuzzy, blocky, like bad mpeg, and so on. it has never looked good. be it the playoffs or superbowl.

so will it ever get better? is directv trying in any way to make sure locals get better quality? and would the same channels look any better in HD? i mean do you ever get fuzzy, cheap mpeg style quality in HD?

but any help or info/news in anyway would be nice. cuz im so sick of watching sports that looks like crap. thanks :D

Yes SD looks like SD, like old, ugly analog; like always and everywhere. DBS and cable pass along to you what they get; SD is no way to watch TV, let alone live sports of any kind. YES, HD looks better; MUCH better! OTA and DBS retrans.

so your saying local channels do look better in HD (well of course they do) but im just talking about the fuzzy mpeg style quality. most cases happens when the camera is moving kinda fast or its zoomed in.

sad part is with a normal antenna you dont ever get fuzzy mpeg crap, just a bad signal lol.

so your saying local channels do look better in HD (well of course they do) but im just talking about the fuzzy mpeg style quality. most cases happens when the camera is moving kinda fast or its zoomed in.

sad part is with a normal antenna you dont ever get fuzzy mpeg crap, just a bad signal lol.
I believe you are talking about macroblocking. This occurs with too much compression and seems much less with the new mpeg4. Unfortunately I have a different experience in my local market with your claim of this not happening on OTA. For me, it is very bad on the NBC local.

I believe you are talking about macroblocking. This occurs with too much compression and seems much less with the new mpeg4. Unfortunately I have a different experience in my local market with your claim of this not happening on OTA. For me, it is very bad on the NBC local.

Same here. HD is definitely better (of course), but I have some issues from time to time even with my OTA HD locals, especially NBC.

Its not an SD vs HD issue. SD can look very good if little digital compression is used or if you are receiving a good analog signal. Directv is all digital and the compression varies from channel to channel. The national channels have been looking damn good lately. However, the locals look the worst because directv crams so many of them onto only a few spotbeams. Directv could really care less on how the locals channels look, as long as they are watchable. I cannot believe how anyone could defend directv's local SD channels. The MPEG-4HD locals look awesome, but the SD locals are just plain digital garbage. The only reason why directv even offers local channels is so people have a viable alternative to cable without the hassle of an off-air antenna. If directv didn't offers locals, they wouldn't have as many customers as they do now.

Its not an SD vs HD issue. SD can look very good if little digital compression is used or if you are receiving a good analog signal. Directv is all digital and the compression varies from channel to channel. The national channels have been looking damn good lately. However, the locals look the worst because directv crams so many of them onto only a few spotbeams. Directv could really care less on how the locals channels look, as long as they are watchable. I cannot believe how anyone could defend directv's local SD channels. The MPEG-4HD locals look awesome, but the SD locals are just plain digital garbage. The only reason why directv even offers local channels is so people have a viable alternative to cable without the hassle of an off-air antenna. If directv didn't offers locals, they wouldn't have as many customers as they do now.

That's funny, because the SD locals I get OTA look just as crappy as they do on D*. I don't know if I've ever seen an SD channel I would categorize as looking "very good," unless you're watching it on a 19" tube TV...

That's funny, because the SD locals I get OTA look just as crappy as they do on D*. I don't know if I've ever seen an SD channel I would categorize as looking "very good," unless you're watching it on a 19" tube TV...

And what SD have you been watching? If it has been directv, then yes, sd really cannot be categorized as looking good, especially when compared to SD master broadcasts found in the C-BAND spectrum or any HD programming. It seems as thought you are using a set of crappy rabbit ears to view your locals. In that case, you would be comparing analog snow to digital artifacts. Using a good rooftop antenna, the local SD channels in my area, both ANALOG and DIGITAL, look far better than the overcompressed vomit that Directv sends down to its customers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts