Local Channels/PBS

danbraz

Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
This is comming from Palm Springs, CA

Shortly after the recent Feds decision on local stations, I noticed that the PBS signal that I am receiving was very strange indeed; no call sign (i.e. KXXX WXXX) and even stranger than that there are NEVER any solicitations for "public support" ($$$). When I inquired of DishNetwork for details on the signal they were providing, they said it was the local Palm Springs PBS signal. Well it is not! None of the programming is the same. Further investigation reveal it to be "PBSXD". What in satalite hell is PBSXD?

Last edited:
PBSXD is, simply put, the national PBS feed. Back then, years ago, E* did not carry local PBS stations and instead gave everyone ONE feed. This was it. It airs a variety of PBS programs. Now they only let you see it when there is no local PBS feed available in your market. After some research (see below), there really is no PBS station out in palm springs. Time Warner there does carry a feed from KCET (28-L.A.), called KCET Desert Cites (TimeWarner-218), but it is only available on TWC, and not over-the-air. KVCR (24-San Bernandido) also airs in the area (which is likely what you got), but it is directed toward the Inland Empire, and therefore is carried as part of L.A. locals.
KCET Desert Cities Website said:
Created in response to a growing population of sophisticated, discriminating television viewers in the desert, KCET Desert Cities is a new round-the-clock lifestyle channel created by KCET exclusively for Coachella Valley residents.
Available only on Time Warner Digital Cable, KCET Desert Cities offers a 24-hour line-up of everything from cooking to culture, golf to gardening, hobbies to health. You'll also enjoy original video segments featuring visits to favorite local restaurants, interviews, and helpful tips on home decor, tennis, and landscaping.
KCET Desert Cities is available to Time Warner Digital Cable subscribers on channel 218.
There won't be much you can do about it w/ E*, saddly, because of government rules. Kind've strange, though, when on cable you can get 2 stations from one network, an antenna can get you more, and your satellite gives you none, yet, if you move a few miles west, you get at least 4 stations from that netwok. Strange.

My advice, if you care about PBS that much and cannot stand the national feed, pick up a small antenna (indoor *might* do) and tune to channel 9 (that's K09XW-9, a translator of PBS station KVCR-24, broadcasting from Palm Springs). That should help you out. If you have a larger antenna you might just be able to tune to channel 28 in the evenings (KCET).

--Josh (North San Diego)

Links:
Dish Locals in 174 cities
KCET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
KCET Desert Cities - Home Page
KVCR-TV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks to jfabi82 for the great explaination on the esoteric PBSXD. The programming there is really quite good (for PBS). Other than the very limited programming schedule provided by DishNetwork, does anybody know where I can find more information on PBSXD upcomming programming? I have not been able to find it on the web.

Is this national PBS feed in High Def? I was hoping to get this channel with my Dish package. I got americas 250 plus all the Dish HD channels. How do you get this National PBS feed? Do you have to add locals to your Dish packages? I supply my own locals.

National PBS (PBSXD) feed

As I understand it, there are a couple of qualifiers. First you have to subscribe to "locals" (from DishNetwork in my case) and then you only get PBSXD when there is no other local PBS station in your service area. The PBSXD that I receive is not in HD, which would be a great plus.

Last edited:
FWIW, I thought that PBS-XD did occasionally carry national pledge drives, and divided up the money collected among local affiliates (or perhaps even allocated it by the address of the contributor, so that it goes to their nearest affiliate).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)