local digital channel guide info. (or lack of)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

new_to_hdtv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
not far enough North
Does the 811 have the capability of receiving/displaying channel guide info. for the local digital channels ?
When I go to the channel guide, the local digital channels come up "no info. available". I thought that was one of the benny's of DTV. :confused:

You mean OTA H/DTV channels?

Two things have to happen: 1) the station has to broadcast it in their signal; 2) Dish receiver has to receive and display it. My guess is it's not implemented yet in the 811. I do know that other STBs (the LG, for example) can receive and display program info. in a program guide. I also know a great many stations are not broadcasting all the info they should at this time. :shocked

I joined Dish a few days ago, and I posted a similar question in the Dish PVR forum. It was suggested that after 24 hours or so, my locas would show up in my guide, and they sure did.

Sapient said:
I joined Dish a few days ago, and I posted a similar question in the Dish PVR forum. It was suggested that after 24 hours or so, my locas would show up in my guide, and they sure did.

I believe you are probably referring to Dish locals from the satellite. The original query was in regard to OTA locals.

For folks with other OTA HD receivers that get guide info, does it just show what is currently on or does it show you what programming will be on a number of hours in advance? IMHO to only get what programming is currently on is of marginal value especially if you want to record something. Dish does provide prime time programming info for the three major networks for analog OTA channels if you identify the network for a channel but this is very limited.
Does anyone know how Dish does this mapping? Is it from the Distant Nets programming info just in primetime?

What Dish needs to do is to allow you to map the guide info from LIL channels to HD OTA channels even if you do not subscribe to them. I am fortunate to get almost all of my locals in HD and for those who can, it doesn't make sense to subscribe to Dish LIL channels. Dish would probably need to make it so these LIL channels appear as unsubscribed red channels in the EPG.

There could be several options for folks in areas where Dish does not provide locals. Dish could do the same they currently do for analog OTA channels but include WB and UPN as network choices. They could allow you to map to a Distant Net that has much of the same programming on as your local channel. The other option is for dish to develop something with GemStar since they recently came to an agreement out of the lawsuit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)