Local Dish retailer says new Hopper OTA adapter to be released January 24

So far, it would appear that Dish isn't selling it until it has 2-tuner functionality working 100%.

Seems like that would be a strange decision, even for Dish. I can't imagine Dish sitting on them that long, considering they are obviously available and working. (Not to mention being in demand)

Admittedly, still seems odd that Dish Depot is the only retail outlet carrying them. I don't buy the story from that retention manager that their inventory is some sort of leftover pre-production units. Even if they were originally tested under some NDA, and now released from NDA, I find it hard to believe Dish would allow them to sell pre-production units to the public after testing was completed.

Seems like that would be a strange decision, even for Dish. I can't imagine Dish sitting on them that long, considering they are obviously available and working. (Not to mention being in demand)

Admittedly, still seems odd that Dish Depot is the only retail outlet carrying them. I don't buy the story from that retention manager that their inventory is some sort of leftover pre-production units. Even if they were originally tested under some NDA, and now released from NDA, I find it hard to believe Dish would allow them to sell pre-production units to the public after testing was completed.

Yea, my BS Detector was going crazy when I was reading that post. :)

I find it hard to believe Dish would allow them to sell pre-production units to the public after testing was completed.
If nothing changed, they're not really "pre-production units". Not that I buy that story either....

It is entirely possible that Dish had "x" produced for testing and simply didn't distribute all of them to testers. If they encountered problems with them, they'd all be destroyed (after making everyone return them). If they were fine, Dish could safely sell them. It does sound unusual, but isn't it more unusual that a) Dish isn't selling them and b) no one besides Dish Depot is either ?

Reactions: charlesrshell
OK so no one knows who makes it or anything about the chipset but it seems to work approximately as well as the old tuner dongle. It would be nice to know bit more about it but it is what it is. I amy order one kmyself.

So I want one, was just going to wait for Dish store to sell them; but sounds like that's going to be a [long] while.
So obviously from the testers on here, it works, at least as a single tuner for now, and dual is 'promised' for May (17??!!).
Is there any reason to speculate that the ones Dish will sell (summer 17??) be any different than what is available now? Other than maybe a Dish logo stamped on it?
I'd like to have one before storm/tornado season gets here; but if waiting a few months = a better device I can wait.

Just a thought...
Recall last year (approx.) when Dish was sending out RCA OTA antennas free to customers in markets where a local network channel was blacked out due to contract dispute.
Wondering if they're enhancing their OTA dongle capability as leverage in anticipation of future disputes. Maybe they intend to send these devices to customers for free during those periods, in those affected markets. Or at least possess the refined capability to make that threat. Maybe a more cost effective and credible leverage tactic during negotiations than the RCA antenna?
From the customer side, the RCA antenna was inferior to having the actual channel working in the guide, whereas this device can mimic that.
And/or Dish will distribute the device for free and only enable the channel in dispute to minimize inconvenience to the customer, or the customer can opt to pay for the device to receive all OTA channels available.

Anyway, the thought popped in my head FWIW.

Reactions: pattykay
Has anybody tried this new adapter with the VIP211Z receiver? The Dish chat csr's say Hopper 3 and Wally only, but since the old adapter worked with the VIP211Z, I'm hoping the new one will as well. I'll be glad to see the astronomical prices of the old adapter fall on eBay & Amazon once the new adapter hits suppliers, but I'd rather future-proof and get the new dual adapter.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
So a couple of questions I can't seem to find answers for.

1. I currently use the Hopper 2 and have locals through dish, I just ran an OTA antenna and thinking of switching to H3 and buying the OTA dongle, will my experience basically be the same? Prime time anytime (commercial skipping).
2. Can I record 2 local channels at the same time? (2 shows on two different local channels?

As for commercial skipping on ota , I remember if you have prime time turned on , you would also get the auto-skip feature on the ota stations too. But it depends on whether the network affiliate has a 7 day delay or three day delay on auto-skip feature, or no wait at all.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

and have locals through dish, I just ran an OTA antenna and thinking of switching to H3 and buying the OTA dongle, will my experience basically be the same? Prime time anytime (commercial skipping).
Do you plan to drop the local channels ? If not, the main benefit of OTA reception/integration will be getting (and being able to record) local channels that Dish doesn't carry.

If you do drop the local channels, as Mike said, keep PTAT enabled. It will do nothing except it will trigger AutoHop to still be set on shows recorded off of ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC.

My thought is that a hopper receiver would not allow PTAT to be enabled if locals were
not purchased since PTAT works with one transponder on the satellite. Can someone who has the flex pack and has dropped locals test to see if they can get autohop to work?

Sent from my KFGIWI using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)