local guide now free??

mchias1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
middle georgia
I just noticed that I'm now getting my local channels guide info. I do not pay for locals and my package is the 250 from before the locals were included. I'm definitely not going complaining just curious if Dish is in a giving mood. ;-)

yea i'm sure. i still pay $65 instead of the $70 which is w/ the locals. Dish said they were giving everyone locals "for free" but they just upped all the packages by $5 to cover it.

yea i'm sure. i still pay $65 instead of the $70 which is w/ the locals. Dish said they were giving everyone locals "for free" but they just upped all the packages by $5 to cover it.
No they didn't. Some packages went up much less than your claimed $5. Some went up more. The locals were included at the same time they did the usual price increase. It was kind of nice that they at least gave people something for the increase.

I believe Dish did add $4.99 to all packages and then included the Locals. Old packages were allowed to remain, without locals, at $4.99 less. But you have to understand marketing to see why. Direct was marketing locals as either free, or included in all their packages.. Dish, while actually giving a better choice to customers by making it separate, could not say they were free or included in the price. So Dish went the way of Direct. I remember many questions by new posters about locals being included.

It is my understanding because all packages now include locals, the guide info is now automatically included. Older subscribers who do not get locals may very well get the guide information now. It is doubtful Dish went to the trouble to identify those with older packages and remove the guide information.

I do not receive locals either. I have the 200 channel package for 54.99. But i do not get the locals guide info.

the rescan may have been what triggered it. We have been having bad storms through GA lately and i lost sat signal for an entire evening. my receiver did a system reboot and that maybe when it started grabbing local info.

I watch locals through the OTA module myself, and programming data is now included for me, as well. You still have to do a manual recording for shows on channels in your area that Dish does not carry (as I do for shows on RTN/TuffTV affiliate WLEP-LD).

I watch locals through the OTA module myself, and programming data is now included for me, as well. You still have to do a manual recording for shows on channels in your area that Dish does not carry (as I do for shows on RTN/TuffTV affiliate WLEP-LD).

This does seem to point to Dish now includes the guide info to everyone.

I too am getting the OTA guide info. Something similar happened I believe in December of 2006 when new software was downloaded. Several weeks later a further revision was made and the OTA guide vanished until this weekend. At the time I tried to convince Dish that they should allow everyone to see the guide but they acted as though nothing ever happened. Since I receive dozens of stations OTA from 2 major markets there was no way I was going to spend the extra $5 for fewer stations and poorer quality signal.

The guide certainly is nice particularly when recording local programs and I would pay an extra $1 or so for it. Dish ignored everything I said only to give me the number to call to add the locals.

Since nothing was said by Dish about this latest happening, I,m assuming it was just a mistake and will be corrected shortly. In the meantime I will just hold my breath.

I did a reboot but my OTA local info did not appear. But what is funny is i switched over to WA from my EA setup and received the OTA info on some channels i get from another market.

Could everyone that is now seeing guide info suddenly instead of the usual "digital service" please post their receiver model and software version.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts