local guide now free??

no more free guide :-( must have lost it over night. so much for that "gift"

I was well pleased when the guide data popped up for my antenna off the air local channels. It reassured me that my good associations with Dish in the past were being rewarded. I, too, believed they were being given to those with (perhaps expensive) packages, like me. However, they disappeared. I chatted online today and was told I needed to purchase the locals for $5.00 per month for the data. Since I already have the locals OTA I do not want to pay for service I don't want for the data. It would be a mark of great customer service to give it to me as part of a package. It is certainly lousy service to enable it and then remove it without explanation. :confused:

The FCC guidelines require the over the air transmitting station to include channel number. There is no mandate for anything else. The FCC can't require Dish to do any more than that.

The law that required CECBs to do certain things like display guide data for current and next programs (where availabe) this extends out to all ATSC tuners now in new TV sets in the US and dish has been in violaion of this for years with there crappy OTA hot box module MT2 since it came about.

The law that required CECBs to do certain things like display guide data for current and next programs (where availabe) this extends out to all ATSC tuners now in new TV sets in the US and dish has been in violaion of this for years with there crappy OTA hot box module MT2 since it came about.
Dish has no sanction to pass along any more programming info that is NOT on their local package distribution, which DOES NOT include sub-channels, unless contracted for by the local affiliate.

Last edited:
The MT2 tuner is non compliant since it does not display the program info that the local station is required to transmit and instead simply displays "digital service" by either failure of the software that incorporates the MT2 module or by force of dish network deliberatly blocking of such OTA info transmitted by local broadcasters. In the case of owned units the MT2 does not even function as a standalone OTA tuner since it requires authorization from dish and a live satellite connection upon boot up, And in a third case displays "digital service" and does not interpret locally transmitted program info being transmitted by a local station on main channels unless subscriber also pays for a programming package which includes same locals simulcast via satellite though dish network. We shall see what the FCC has to say about all this.

The MT2 tuner is non compliant since it does not display the program info that the local station is required to transmit and instead simply displays "digital service" by either failure of the software that incorporates the MT2 module or by force of dish network deliberatly blocking of such OTA info transmitted by local broadcasters. In the case of owned units the MT2 does not even function as a standalone OTA tuner since it requires authorization from dish and a live satellite connection upon boot up, And in a third case displays "digital service" and does not interpret locally transmitted program info being transmitted by a local station on main channels unless subscriber also pays for a programming package which includes same locals simulcast via satellite though dish network. We shall see what the FCC has to say about all this.

Please show us the documentation that extends it to sat STB that includes OTA capability.

I just got an answer back on this. If you have the locals in the mapdown area and we have the channel on our satellite, then the info will "translate" to the OTA channels. If we do not carry the local channel or you do not have SAT locals in the mapdown are then it will show digital service. Also with some of the sub channels we have negotiated to get the info with that channel, which is also why some of the sub channels show the same information as the regular channel.

What's a 'mapdown' area?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts