Local HD via Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjsurfer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
This is my first post so bear with me if I don't make any sense:D

My wife and i have cable now and finally have had enough with Time Warner Rate increases, we will be dropping them and their hi-speed cable modem (total cost per month $160). I will go with Verizon EVDO for internet access now, which works pretty good so far, 800kb download speeds. And sign up with DirecTV for cable.

The biggest problem I see so far is getting local channel HD, like Fox, NBC. CBS and ABC, my wife watches a lot of stuff in HD now, like CSI, Las Vegas, Medium, Numbers and House, now if these shows are accessable in HD via the "regular" HD channels in the 200 channel package all is well, but if I have to go thru the local channels for those shows I need to know if I can get them via the satellite dish in my 28465 zip code area.

I see those channels in the DirecTV data base for my location BUT are they HD :confused:, and I can't seem to get a straight answer from DirecTV "sign-er-uppers" that they are true HD and if I will need an over the air antenna or they will come in via the satellite dish?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ron W.

I went to the DTV website and entered your zip (Wilmington,NC?):

HD Local Channels: High-definition (HD) local channels from DIRECTV are not available in your area at this time.

Ok, at least that answers that...

So the only way I can get those FOX, CBS, ABC such as Bones, House etc. in HD is to go with an outside over the air antenna along with the DirecTV dish.

Now is that OTA antenna included in the installation no chargee?

Thanks

Ron W.

According to AntennaWeb, only WWAY, ABC WUNJ, PBS, WECT, NBC and WSFX FOX are available to you.The nearest CBS is from South Carolina, over 75 miles. It's unlikely you can get a usable signal from them.

Went to AntennaWeb and found that info thanks, it looks like I'll need two types of OTA antennas to get the channels I need.

This is getting confusing.......

Ron W.

Went to AntennaWeb and found that info thanks, it looks like I'll need two types of OTA antennas to get the channels I need.

This is getting confusing.......

Ron W.

Why two? The digital channels are all UHF, and from the same place. I would recommend the Channel Master 4228. It works great for me.

I pick up all the big locals with an indoor antenna,35 miles from the towers.I picked it up at radio shack.Just plug it into the h-20 and all the channels will be in the guide also.Good Luck.

Last edited:
When I went to the antenna web site and did a location check one station that my wife needed would only be received by a UHF antenna (or vis-versa, I forget) and the rest where VHF.

How can I find out if there are any local dealers nearby that do the installs so I can see what success rates they have in getting local reception. The DirecTV site doesn't show how I can contact them?

Ron W.

So the only way I can get those FOX, CBS, ABC such as Bones, House etc. in HD is to go with an outside over the air antenna along with the DirecTV dish.

Now is that OTA antenna included in the installation no chargee?

One note to make sure you're aware - you don't mention whether you're planning on a DVR or not. If so, most current HD-DVR installations are the HR21 receiver which does not have an OTA input at this time. A solution has been announced, but is not yet available.

When I went to the antenna web site and did a location check one station that my wife needed would only be received by a UHF antenna (or vis-versa, I forget) and the rest where VHF.

How can I find out if there are any local dealers nearby that do the installs so I can see what success rates they have in getting local reception. The DirecTV site doesn't show how I can contact them?

Ron W.

All of the digital channels in your area are UHF. The analog ones may be VHF, but they are going away in a year. I wouldn't bother with them.

Scottie_h tell me it ain't so.....of course I'm going with DVR/HD wouldn't you know it, my life story.

Now here is something interesting, I called a local installer today thinking that his local knowledge and experience installing DirecTv and gave him my requirements and he did indeed mention the need of an OTA antenna for HD local and he knew my need for two DVR/HD
receivers and he never mentioned no OTA input for the box.

Yeeeesch, this is driving me nuts !!!!

I really believe that an individual with a bit of integrity and intellligence and knowledge of Satellite equipment and installtion can make a fortune in this industry. Just advertise in the local Yellow book and explain that you will lead the customer from start to finish in picking the right Sat company and the equipment needed and do a professional install and yes, I will charge a bit more than the "FREE" install that the dish companies advertise, BUT I guarantee it will work, and be what you want. If I wasn't 60 years old and afraid of heights I start just that business.

Ron W.

The CM4221 is an excellent UHF antenna:

Channel Master CM 4221A 4-Bay Bowtie UHF Antenna (CM4221-A) | CM4221A [Channel Master] | CM 4221 CM-4221A 3021 CM-3021 CM-4221 4221A 4221-A

The CM4228 is also excellent. The advantages to the CM4221 include relative small size which makes it easier to work with or fit in spaces that aren't so obvious. It is also somewhat less directional than the CM4228 which might make aiming easier.

Good luck. In my area (lots of hills and evergreens) the only antenna that would pull in everything acceptably was the CM4248 which is one BIG ugly Yagi antenna. My neighbor less than two blocks away was fine with the CM4221. Part of the reason that there aren't that many people out there promising professional set up for OTA is the difficulty of being able to do it with any prospect of consistency. If you have a Fry's near you, you may be able to find a CM4221 (same as CM3021) there. (The advantage of buying at a local retailer is, of course, returning it if it doesn't work.)

Scottie_h tell me it ain't so.....of course I'm going with DVR/HD wouldn't you know it, my life story.

Now here is something interesting, I called a local installer today thinking that his local knowledge and experience installing DirecTv and gave him my requirements and he did indeed mention the need of an OTA antenna for HD local and he knew my need for two DVR/HD
receivers and he never mentioned no OTA input for the box.

If you can manage to get an HR20 DVR, there is indeed built in OTA. Some have managed to get that specific model, but in most cases are told by the CSR that they cannot guarantee which model they will get. Maybe your local installer has some HR20 receivers himself? If they are HR21 (which are black instead of silver), they do not have OTA. The last rumor I read for the OTA solution said they were shooting for February, but I don't know how reliable that estimate is. So if the rumors are accurate, it's not far away...

All of the digital channels in your area are UHF. The analog ones may be VHF, but they are going away in a year. I wouldn't bother with them.

I am not familiar with your area, but a couple stations in the Houston area that are currently using UHF for their digital channels, will be reverting back to their original VHF channels when they turn-off their analog transmitters next year. Therefore, just make sure that your antenna will still work after all the conversions next year.

Well, I'm going to have the local installer/dealer come out to the house anyway and listen to what he suggests, it won't cost me anything and I can get a feel for he knows.

Plus I'll probably learn some more.....

Those antennas look interesting, but they would be useless if I can't get the HR-20 model DVR/HD unit.

Thanks

Ron W.

Well, I'm going to have the local installer/dealer come out to the house anyway and listen to what he suggests, it won't cost me anything and I can get a feel for he knows.

Plus I'll probably learn some more.....

Those antennas look interesting, but they would be useless if I can't get the HR-20 model DVR/HD unit.

Thanks

Ron W.

It sounds like you don't have an ATSC (digital) tuner in your television. If you do, then why not use it?

Chip,

I'm not sure what you mean by digital tuner whitin the TV, I'm thinking I do....but if what your saying is connect the OTA directly to the TV and use it's internal tuner, I guess I could.

But that would mean going into the TV menu and deselect the HD/DVR input and switching to the OTA input, correct? For me I could handle it but the old lady would have a cow.

Thanks

Ron

Chip,

I'm not sure what you mean by digital tuner whitin the TV, I'm thinking I do....but if what your saying is connect the OTA directly to the TV and use it's internal tuner, I guess I could.

But that would mean going into the TV menu and deselect the HD/DVR input and switching to the OTA input, correct? For me I could handle it but the old lady would have a cow.

Thanks

Ron

I understand the WAF, but it's not that difficult, really! ;)

Its funny all the WAF claims; my wife reads these and takes offense to those making those WAF claims and calls BS; she says its really they that are the issue; I tend to agree.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)