Local OTA Listing on Dish 6000

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ylinen

Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
I have the Dish 6000 and it is working great, except that the Local OTA listings just say LOCAL PROGRAMMING.

Is there a way to have the show listings show up like for the rest of the Dishnetwork? That would make it complete. If not; is this feature available on the 811 or 921?

Thanks,

John

Well you can for CBS/NBC/ABC analog stations. Put in the station call letters and the network affiliations when you add the channels. Now the browse will show local programming most of the time EXCEPT during prime time when they show name will appear. But, most of the time you can press the info button and get the description.

From what I understand this is supposed to work SOON on the 6000 / 811 and 921.

However it will only work in areas where locals are offered (pulls the guide data from the same listings)

I'd bet a Billion of Bill Gates dollars that the 6000 will never ever ever see the Local Digitals get guide info.

Why put a minute of development time into the discontinued 6000 when you are pushing the 811 out to customers at a discounted rate?

The 6000 is dead with the only exception being bug fixes (and really only the big ones) and perhaps new satellite locations.

mike123abc said:
Well you can for CBS/NBC/ABC analog stations. Put in the station call letters and the network affiliations when you add the channels. Now the browse will show local programming most of the time EXCEPT during prime time when they show name will appear. But, most of the time you can press the info button and get the description.

From my experience, the info is coming from the distant network station and not the local channel info. So the info is only reliable as long the distant network and the local network are showing the same thing at the same time.

Kaos said:
mike123abc said:

From my experience, the info is coming from the distant network station and not the local channel info. So the info is only reliable as long the distant network and the local network are showing the same thing at the same time.

Ive seen on my 5000 there are times when during primetime it says "Local Programming" even though a series is on at that time..

Right now (about 1:40pm CST) I turn on NBC and there is a soap showing, browse shows "Local Programming", I press info and get:

Series/Special. Kristian Alfonso, John Aniston, Matthew Ashrod. (2003) Hope hosts a tree-trimming party; Shawn and Belle hunt for a tree; Bonnie spikes Mickey's eggnog. (CC) (Stereo).

CBS says "Local Programming"
Series/Special. Martha Byrne, Hunt Block, Jon Hensley. (CC) (Stereo)

ABC says "Local Programming"
Series/Special. Kristen Alderson, Melissa Archer, Phil Carey. (2003) Antonio realizes all the victims are connected to Nora; Gabrielle bumps into Troy; Roxy finds a bag of presents. (CC) (Stereo)

Now Dish does not carry my locals. It is possible that it is putting distants up for info, or possibly the Tribune (?) guide data is being picked out for my stations. It is hard to tell on these soap operas since I do not watch them if they are the correct description, but I find on most shows it is the correct discription or it says no description (i.e. news/business).

Is there any hope that Dish is going to do more than just a simple trick to map quide data from channel XXXX to OTA channel YY?

i.e. will they EVER provide guide data for areas they dont provide locals or provide subchannel guide info or info for what the digital stations are REALLY showing?

Also will be interesting to see if you can get guide data for more than 1 DMA... i.e. be able to map my DC AND Baltimore stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)