Locals and grandfathered distant networks

GaryPen said:
I do understand what a waiver is. And, to me, it is not the local station saying that they can't provide the programming. It is them saying that even though they do provide the programming, they are WAIVING their right of exclusivity, and allowing me to also recieve it from a distant network.

After all, if they couldn't provide the programming, then most likely I live in an area that would automatically entitle me to receive a distant net without a waiver.

LOL! Whatever....the answer to your question is the same. :) I just got lazy in my explanation.

Station agrees it doesn't provide a good enough signal for some one to see their programming even though the predictive models say they do. The viewer does not qualify for distants (and now for the part I had on my previous post) The station issues a waiver because it DOESN'T provide a signal. :)

See ya
Tony

waltinvt\ said:
I've never qualified for ABC, which I could understand, because up until a couple of years ago, I could get a great OTA signal. However their transmitter on Mt Washington, NH was destroyed by a fire (This is channel 8, WMTW) and they relocated to Baldwin Me. Now I get absolutly no signal from them (or any other ABC) yet Dish still doesn't qualify me for distant ABC. Is it possible that Dish hasn't taken into account the current status of that station ?

WaltinVt

Walt
Where I lived, there were translator stations of the CBS, NBC, and ABC for Duluth (Aitkin, MN). So I never qualified for those distants. I could get FOX. However, on 1/1/03, FOX put a translator in the exact same spot (at more power) than the other 3, yet I would still qualify for Fox distant even today.

I don't know how updated they are, but they probably don't take into effect towers collapsed or burnt to the ground.

Gerry....

IF AND ONLY IF your local stations are offered on the satellite system you subscribe to, you cannot get distants. No waivers. No exceptions. No fun!

If YOUR locals are not offered on YOUR satellite system, you can get distant nets the same way with the same qualifications.

Again this is still being hotly debated.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts