Locals on 811

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Has anyone else had an issue with DISH provided locals not mapping to their appropriate channel numbers like the 510 and 301?

the should not remap on the 811 since the 811 has a OTA tuner built in to it.

If the Satellite locals were to remap it would make a big mess with the OTA channels you put in.

Why would it be a big mess? Is OTA tuning the same as the 6000? If so, OTA tuner starts with a 0 while locals that are mapped do not.

But, couldn't DISH make it to where it puts the remapped local on their respective channel, and just put it at the top of the list since the OTA Digitals have a list?

Like for example, the NBC shows up as WAVES and WAVED. when I select the OTA Digital I get taken to a list to choose between the two.

Has this thread become ambiguous, or is it just me? It's not clear to me whether the posts pertain to "LiL" locals or "OTA" locals. I think neutron's question addresses "DISH provided locals" (Local-into-Local), or LiLs as we sometimes refer to them.

My 811 maps all carried* Atlanta LiLs as far as I can tell:

8300 WSB Ch 2 (ABC)
8301 WGCL Ch 46 (CBS)
8302 WXIA Ch 11 (NBC
8303 WAGA Ch 5 (FOX)
8304 WATL Ch 36 (WB)
8305 WUPA Ch 69 (UPN)
8306 WGTV Ch 8 (PBS)
8307 WTBS Ch 17 (IND)
8308 WUVG Ch ?? (IND)
8310 WPBA Ch 30 (PBS)

*Off 110W & 61.5W

It's been over a year since I have lived there, but I also recall a few other lower-tier ATL indies that are not (yet) carried by E.

My questions:

1. Does anyone know if/when ATL Lils will be mapped to the two-digit (02-99) channel range on the 811 receiver (or is that what this thread is about?)

2. What about remapping ATL LiLs on the 7100/7200?

1. Does anyone know if/when ATL Lils will be mapped to the two-digit (02-99) channel range on the 811 receiver (or is that what this thread is about?)

2. What about remapping ATL LiLs on the 7100/7200?

1. I think that is impossible because if they mapped them to those channels where would the HD OTA channels go?

2. No idea, but I'm guessing the old software isnt up to it.[/quote]

Nick, you hit it right on the head. Yes I am talking about LiL locals. The appear fine in the 9xxx range, but I am wondering if they will ever be in the 02-99 range like the 301 and 510 have them. I thought the 811 was supposed to allow that.

But then where would the OTA channels go? Seems better to have the OTA channels mapped as they do on the 6000 (in the 0-99 range) since most people will prefer to watch the local digital version of their locals over the LIL version.

Well the 811 is made to pick up the Digital OTA channels which are at diffrent numbers

Example KCRA channel 3 in Sacramento is channel 3 Analog only but is channel 35 HD...

So if the channel numbers are diffrent for the HD broadcast it would seem they should have given the option for the 811 to put the non OTA channels were they should go and since the HD channels are diffrent numbers allow us to program them in. Although this would have probably put the release date back another 2 months so its something I can live with

The channel selection has nothing to do with Dish but everything to do with your local station. Those SD and HD stations that broadcast in the higher UHF range are sending a signal out that tells your receiver to move the channel to the stations analog channel number.

An example is this. A station broadcasts its analog signal on VHF 5. The HD signal is broadcast on UHF 52. Part of the signal that the station is sending on its SD/HD broadcast is a timing signal for syncing the video to the audio. This part of the signal also contains a station ID that assigns this UHF HD signal to 5.1 . That is the reason for the decimal usage.

Stations have alot of money invested for that Channel ID. They wanted a way to keep their ID in the public's eye. This is how they keep their ID. This is also the reason all ATSC HD tuners block out 0-99 for OTA SD and HD signals. So Dish has no choice in this. Everyones settop works this way. Hope this helped. :)

HookedOnTV said:
But then where would the OTA channels go?
E* could get creative with the channel numbering ...

OTA DTV is broadcast with a major and minor channel number for each feed within the DT stream. Normally the major channel is the NTSC channel number associated with that broadcaster (DT35 would broadcast "major channel" 3). The minor channel number usually starts at 1, with the .0 or -0 channel numbering reserved for the analog feed.

A standalone NTSC/ATSC tuner would tune 3-0 in NTSC and 3-1 from DT35 (assuming that it knew that DT35 carried the 3-1 stream).

I'm assuming that E* can tune to the -2 feeds on OTA DTV, and has found some way of listing them in their guide. What they could do is use -0 for OTA NTSC (assuming the tuner is cabable) and the channel with no -# for the remap of E*'s feeds. -1 and above would be the usual OTA DTV channel mapping.

If the receiver is not capable of tuning NTSC then they could simply use, in the above example, 3-0 for the E* feed remap and 3-1 and above for the OTA DTV feeds. Hopefully they are allowing for the -2, -3 and above feeds. They are a major benefit to OTA DTV.

BTW: They should also fix the remap bug that causes stations that transmit out of spec DTV PSIP information not to be displayed. If the "major channel" is known invalid it could be ignored -- using the tuned DT channel instead. That would fix the Chicago area user's problem.

JL

I'm assuming that E* can tune to the -2 feeds on OTA DTV, and has found some way of listing them in their guide. What they could do is use -0 for OTA NTSC (assuming the tuner is cabable) and the channel with no -# for the remap of E*'s feeds. -1 and above would be the usual OTA DTV channel mapping

Using channel 3 as our example, we would have 003-0 for OTA NTSC, 003-1[-X] for ATSC and 000-3 for the dish feed.

What do we do when we have UHF channels that would have the same two digit numbers as VHF channels. My ABC affiliate is channel 30.

That would be:
030-0 for OTA NTSC, 030-1 for ATSC and 0030 for the dish feed.

Do you see the "oops" here? This will be a problem in some market somewhere in the US.

As an alternative, why not allow the Dish LiL feeds to map to the regular channel number unlessl the OTA analog channels are scanned?

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)