Locals using LG-3510A?

Brohill

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Haddam, CT
Hello everyone!
View this site everyday and love it, however new to posting new threads. If I started this in wrong forum, I apologize.
I have been contemplating subscribing to D* now for many months now. The only issue that has stopped me is receiving locals in HD. I live in a big,deep valley in CT and antennaweb.org says I need a "violet" antenna, therefore I dont think I can get locals in HD using an antenna. Then again I may be wrong, but I will get to the point.

I have been told that locals can be received using the LG3510A, and subscribing to basic and I mean basic cable. Something about QAM or something.(again I am clueless) Does anyone know if this is true? Does it depend on the cable provider? Does it make sense doing this if I can not get HD locals? This model is also a DVD player and I am in the market for one anyways, so I was considering buying it. I spoke to 3 different sales people at Best Buy and Circuit City and they were all shocked to here this was possible.
I am curious if anyone uses this now and how well it works, both DVD player and HD receiver.
I am a newbie to all this so please take it easy on me.

Here is the link to that receiver. May have to cut and paste. Sorry!

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/LG-E.../sem/rpsm/oid/89458/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

By the way my current situation is using Comcast and only get 2 hd channels plus locals in HD. TV is Mits 55311.

yes many basic cable packages include the HD local channels. Also many cable companies will lease "cable cards" that can be used in devices like the LG receiver. If you call your cable company you can find out if they do lease cards and if they have the local channels you are looking for (not all cable systems have all of the local channels in HD). It might be easier to lease a digital cable box from the your cable company instead of purchasing the LG unit and having to pay for a card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)