Locals

Duraduk

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
I heard somewhere that LA locals are viewable nationwide....is this true or are they spot beamed just to So Cal??

I heard somewhere that LA locals are viewable nationwide....is this true or are they spot beamed just to So Cal??
All DISH WA markets are spot beamed.

I recall that only those few markets on 77W aren't spot beamed. I'd hate to think that DISH was burning CONUS bandwidth on LIL channels.

Reactions: TheKrell
To more directly answer the question, the four major networks from LA (HD and SD) plus Ion West (SD-feed only) are CONUS on Directv. Dish has KTLA (SD-feed only) on CONUS. I hope that helps.

To more directly answer the question, the four major networks from LA (HD and SD) plus Ion West (SD-feed only) are CONUS on Directv.
What DIRECTV does or doesn't do isn't all that useful in the DISH Support Forum. If you're going to use this as a comparison (in a forum where comparison is appropriate) you should make it more obvious that there would be 22 LA LIL channels that DIRECTV doesn't make available CONUS.

Reactions: KAB
What DIRECTV does or doesn't do isn't all that useful in the DISH Support Forum. If you're going to use this as a comparison (in a forum where comparison is appropriate) you should make it more obvious that there would be 22 LA LIL channels that DIRECTV doesn't make available CONUS.
To be completely fair, with either provider (Directv or Dish) there would be a lot of LA LIL channels that you would have to block in the guide if you are outside the spot beams and do not like getting signal loss messages. I simply listed the channels that are CONUS, and I know that they are because I subscribe to LA locals from both Dish and Directv, and those are the channels I get when I am outside the spot beams. The OP did not say whether or not he already had Dish. He asked whether any LA locals are viewable nationwide somewhere, and I answered where which channels were available. He thanked me for my help. So stop being so offended, harshness.

He asked whether any LA locals are viewable nationwide somewhere, and I answered where which channels were available. He thanked me for my help. So stop being so offended, harshness.
I'm not offended.

I'm just pointing out that if a question is asked in the DISH Support forum, speaking to what DIRECTV does in the form of a workaround is likely off-topic (as I've been officially counseled). If the OP had been made in the non-denominational General CableTV & Satellite forum, that would be a different story.

The OP could have been confused, hearing about those channels as a DTV thing and now thinking they are a Dish thing. I don't see it as being OT as much as mentioning where he may have heard it. But....whatever

I'm not offended.

I'm just pointing out that if a question is asked in the DISH Support forum, speaking to what DIRECTV does in the form of a workaround is likely off-topic (as I've been officially counseled). If the OP had been made in the non-denominational General CableTV & Satellite forum, that would be a different story.
Got it. Thanks. I have seen so many threads get started in the wrong forum that I thought this might be another case of that. I didn't start the thread, so I didn't choose which forum to put it in, but I tried to give the best answer I could. If the OP is interested in Directv, perhaps the mods could move this thread to the Directv forum.

Got it. Thanks. I have seen so many threads get started in the wrong forum that I thought this might be another case of that. I didn't start the thread, so I didn't choose which forum to put it in, but I tried to give the best answer I could. If the OP is interested in Directv, perhaps the mods could move this thread to the Directv forum.
And why would they do that. The OP asked a question in the Dish forum. You answered saying that Direct has it. The OP didn't mention Direct at all....