Locast Wrong City Error

tobsandmags

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2011
I’m in the Seattle DMA (5 miles from the antennas which I can see out my window) and I’m getting a “wrong city” error on both FireTV and AppleTV. Reinstalling the Locast app didn’t help. Any ideas on how to fix it? It acts like it’s geofencing has locked my account onto a wrong location. I’m using plain Comcast home internet - no VPN’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its your IP...try a VPN and set it for seattle....to clarify its the IP your ISP assigned you...where its registered

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

For a change, I have to agree with Juan. I currently have an AT&T IP address assigned out of New York City, and using that service Locast not surprisingly gives me the NYC locals. My Verizon IP is assigned out of Baltimore and switching to that service, I get the Baltimore locals. My Spectrum ID on the other hand, is from Syracuse, NY and gives me a wrong location error. I do have location tools that can fool Locast and other geofencing sites about my location, but those are my results without using them.

Are you using Win 10? Have you set your location in Win 10? is location turned on?
settings
privacy

You can clear the location data and set the default location.

I’m in the Seattle DMA (5 miles from the antennas which I can see out my window) and I’m getting a “wrong city” error on both FireTV and AppleTV. Reinstalling the Locast app didn’t help. Any ideas on how to fix it? It acts like it’s geofencing has locked my account onto a wrong location. I’m using plain Comcast home internet - no VPN’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some follow-up info:

1) It works fine when using the iPad and Dish Hopper apps (both on the same home network as my FireTV and AppleTV)
2) It works fine via the iPad Chrome browser on that same home network.

Both of these make me doubt the non-local IP address hypothesis. But we’ll see. I submitted a ticket to Locast tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you using Win 10? Have you set your location in Win 10? is location turned on?
settings
privacy

You can clear the location data and set the default location.

Thanks for reply. I’m not using Windows 10.

Am receiving Locast with a Roku and Amazon Fire. Nice that you can switch cities to view what local channels are available. I tried NYC and Philly so far, however using my OTA antenna I get lots more stations than with Locast. Not a criticism, just an observation. Locast is great for folks without an OTA setup.

Its not locast if it works on your other devices. Go on fire tv and select another tv..then switch back to seattle...on my firetv I had to delete the data and the cache on the ap to get it to work ..I can tell you how to do it...its in the application settings
Some follow-up info:

1) It works fine when using the iPad and Dish Hopper apps (both on the same home network as my FireTV and AppleTV)
2) It works fine via the iPad Chrome browser on that same home network.

Both of these make me doubt the non-local IP address hypothesis. But we’ll see. I submitted a ticket to Locast tonight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I tried clearing the FireTV cache, but that didn’t correct the problem.

However, Locast did respond today to my inquiry. Here is what they provided....

“Based on the info you sent, we have made some changes on our end, and you should now be good to go. You may need to log out, then back in (entering your Locast account info), but should now be able to view your channels.”

This has fixed the problem on both the FireTV and AppleTV apps. I appreciate their (and everyones) help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts