locking onto the XM satellite

uh-oh

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
I live between two mtns. I have had my XM for over yr with no problem until last Fall. I purchased a 50 ft cable ext kit with amplifier so that I could move the antenna outside. I am quite confused because the kit says that the satellite is S to SE in the sky; however, my antenna seems to work best S to SW. Can anyone explain this?

I am not good with electronics and it is obvious that I don't know what I am doing. I have tried S to SE but can't get anything in that direction. At S to SW, I get programming 75% of the time. The problem could be interference; it appears that my antenna is pointed directly into the mtn! It is pointing that low.

Another question: is there a gadget that one can buy to help find/lock onto the satellite?
Thanks

Don't actually fully tilt the antenna to aim south, just orient it toward the south (but 95% flat) mostly up/skyward. What is your location?

the XM satellite signal does come in at a angle that may be blocked by one of those mountains near your home,this is a problem that XM really cannot fix
however,this is not really a problem with sirius,as long as you have a clear shot of the sky directly above you,you should be ok with no fade out problems.if your not completely in love with XM,i would give sirius a try.
good luck:)

Beagle said:
the XM satellite signal does come in at a angle that may be blocked by one of those mountains near your home,this is a problem that XM really cannot fix
however,this is not really a problem with sirius,as long as you have a clear shot of the sky directly above you,you should be ok with no fade out problems.if your not completely in love with XM,i would give sirius a try.
good luck:)
But then again it depends where in the country you are. Here in Florida Sirius isn't the greatest when it comes to reception(at least in my area). My signal comes and goes at times. I have an outside ant. on the SE corner of my house with a partial obstructive view to the NW but a clear line of site to the sky. But I never had a problem with XM's reception.

I made my comment based on the mental picture that the OP had the antenna tilted so that is was near perpendicular to the base; like an "L".

My antenna is like an "L" - facing into the mtn! I really don't know how I get a signal at all unless it is like the DirecTV satellite which aims to mtn but locks on in the sky. It is wierd. I will try suggestions tomorrow if no rain. Thanks

I live in northern NC mtns

I signed up for five yrs of XM. In 2010 I can try Sirius. Can't afford to change now.

Your North Carolina location should mean you would point the antenna toward the SE direction, and the "L" tilted antenna is way too drastic; you just need open sky and simply orientation toward the correct direction and maybe a slight few degrees of "tilt or angling" in the antenna surface. In order to receive the best reception, try some of these simple steps. SEE MAP

BEST - ROOF easier than it sounds, this is how I mount.

Since the antennas are weatherproof, it's always best to place them outside on your roof. The clearer the view of the sky that your antenna has, the less likely you are to experience signal loss. Placing your antenna on the roof may require the purchase of an antenna extension cable. Use the map below to optimize your antenna placement.

OK - OUTDOORS

Sometimes it's easier to place your antenna outside of a window or to mount it on the side of your house. Either way, you should still try to give your antenna a clear view of the sky. If this is the best option for you, use the map below to optimize your antenna placement.

MINIMAL - or Near Window

In addition to our 3 satellites, we also make use of terrestrial repeaters in major metropolitan areas to boost our signal. In these areas, it may be possible to receive the XM signal with your antenna placed inside your home. We recommend placing your antenna in or near a window*. Again, use the map below to optimize your antenna placement.

* window screens can disrupt or block the signal.

Last edited:
Thanks Charper1

I don't know how I got so mixed up. Plan to re-do my antenna tomorrow!

charper1 said:
Your North Carolina location should mean you would point the antenna toward the N-NW direction, and the "L" tilted antenna is way too drastic; you just need open sky and simply orientation toward the correct direction and maybe a slight few degrees of "tilt or angling" in the antenna surface. In order to receive the best reception, try some of these simple steps. SEE MAP

BEST - ROOF easier than it sounds, this is how I mount.

Since the antennas are weatherproof, it's always best to place them outside on your roof. The clearer the view of the sky that your antenna has, the less likely you are to experience signal loss. Placing your antenna on the roof may require the purchase of an antenna extension cable. Use the map below to optimize your antenna placement.

OK - OUTDOORS

Sometimes it's easier to place your antenna outside of a window or to mount it on the side of your house. Either way, you should still try to give your antenna a clear view of the sky. If this is the best option for you, use the map below to optimize your antenna placement.

MINIMAL - or Near Window

In addition to our 3 satellites, we also make use of terrestrial repeaters in major metropolitan areas to boost our signal. In these areas, it may be possible to receive the XM signal with your antenna placed inside your home. We recommend placing your antenna in or near a window*. Again, use the map below to optimize your antenna placement.

* window screens can disrupt or block the signal.
Charper1, that map is for the Serius Sat. The poster has XM. The XM sat is south no matter where you are in the US, Serius uses that map. For XM face it south then move it around till you get a signal. Now that mountain might be a problem :eek:

Did I post the wrong map? My bad I had them both and though I selected the correct one; I will fix it. TY - if you have one please post it.

SE direction but NOT such a exaggerated angle.

Last edited:
OK...I just found a way to fine tune to a satellite for XM. Turn off power. Hit numbers 2, 0, 7 - then hit the XM button (wheel). After 5 seconds, hit the display button. You can then turn the antenna until you get the lowest number for BER and (hit display again) highest number for C/N. Turn power off/on to get back to normal display.

My problem, IMHO, is interference from trees. Will have to move to roof. Thanks everybody for help.

Yes. Can I post a competitor forum here? It would be easier - then you can read all info yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)