Logo-HD & Centric-HD: Now Live... What is DISH Uplink Waiting for ?

mario315

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 20, 2008
Florida
DISH has given HD bandwidth to Logo and Centric since 2009 even though these 2 networks did not have an HD feed.... Some here have wondered why DISH was wasting HD channel capacity on 2 networks that only uplinked an SD feed... The only time we have seen HD content on these 2 channels is when DISH inserts their hourly advertising inventory, such as DISH PPV, etc., which air in HD thanks to the HD bandwidth allocation given to Logo and Centric...

Now finally there is word that both Logo and Centric launched their HD feeds last month.... Thanks to KyL416 over at DBS Talk he posted (in early August) the Affiliate Relations Notice from Logo and Centric advising their affiliates where the new HD signals could be found:

Logo-East HD and Logo-West HD at AMC 11, TR. 21
Centric-East HD and Centric-West HD at SES 1, TR. 11

I've been keeping an eye on the weekly DISH Uplink Reports to see if DISH made the switch to the 2 new HD feeds and so far, nothing !...

Do we need Scott to go to the Uplink Center and flip the switch himself ??? The DISH Uplink Engineers appear to be, literally, asleep at the switch...

Keep in mind that since 2009 all of DISH's promotional materials, channel line-ups, etc. have all listed Logo and Centric as being HD channels on DISH, even though they were not... False advertising really.... Now that DISH has the opportunity to quickly fix this they seem to be in no hurry to do so.... Thoughts ???

Reactions: Jim S.
DISH has given HD bandwidth to Logo and Centric since 2009 even though these 2 networks did not have an HD feed.... Some here have wondered why DISH was wasting HD channel capacity on 2 networks that only uplinked an SD feed... The only time we have seen HD content on these 2 channels is when DISH inserts their hourly advertising inventory, such as DISH PPV, etc.,

Dish does carry those channels in HD. Problem is, they don't DELIVER any HD on their HD channels. Go figure!

Reactions: satjay
Dish does carry those channels in HD. Problem is, they don't DELIVER any HD on their HD channels. Go figure!

As I explained, DISH has never carried these channels in HD because there has NOT been an HD feed to carry.... Until last month....

All DISH has been doing since 2009 is up converting the SD feed to wasted HD bandwidth.... The issue now is for DISH engineers to switch to the correct transponders providing the new HD feeds... They still have not done this....

As for HD programs on these networks, there is actually plenty... A quick scan of Tribune listings shows the following HD programs on Centric and Logo:

HD on Centric: Reed Between the Lines; Family Feud; Scandal; Brothers; The Game; Prime Time movies; Late Night movies; Weekend daytime movies...

HD on Logo: Happily Divorced; New Now Next; Secret Guide to Fabulous; Bad Sex; Ru Paul's Drag Race; Food to Get You Laid; What ?; Ru Paul's Drag U; Prime Time movies...

This is totally Viacom trying to kiss and make up with Dish and making them HD like they probably promised in the last contract (Hence dish giving the channels HD Bandwidth) which never happened. Viacom is trying to finish their end of the bargain and trying their best not to get dropped by yet another provider....Scary that Dish hasnt remotely tried to get that feed in the system....A sign of what may become??

If Dish doesnt come to an agreement with Viacom, i feel like Viacom is doomed. Someone might buy them out for a few of their channels NICK MTV VH1 and definately Comedy Central but other than that there suite of channels have been going downhill for years,ratings wise. Viacom stock has been tanking for awhile and if they cant come to terms with Dish i feel like theres not much hope left.

I would think the still in production and new season of RuPaul's Drag Race is in HD? As for all the other content, yeah, it's like neither channel has much HD content to begin with. I suppose this also brings us to TVLand. Viewers could benefit from and HD feed for the new shows, but not from all the other older stuff.

I would say that I am hoping to see RSN's in HD 24/7, and I think the sports fans would prefer those go HD first.

This is totally Viacom trying to kiss and make up with Dish and making them HD like they probably promised in the last contract (Hence dish giving the channels HD Bandwidth) which never happened. Viacom is trying to finish their end of the bargain and trying their best not to get dropped by yet another provider....Scary that Dish hasnt remotely tried to get that feed in the system....A sign of what may become??

Your theory makes a lot of sense.... Viacom all of a sudden launches these new HD feeds when they're in a battle not to get dropped....

So Viacom has had the HD bandwidth on DISH since 2009, never used it, and now is trying to kiss and make up their prior negligence....

We'll, if we see Logo and Centric get their new HD feeds on DISH then it may be a good sign... Otherwise, not a good sign...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)