LogoHD - Where's the HD

SKrueger

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
So where is the HD on LogoHD?:confused:

For awhile a thought well maybe none of their shows were in HD. However in looking into it, a number of their shows are produced in HD. So where is the HD content? It begins to look like Dish is taking the SD feed, sending it as MPEG4 and calling it HD. While certainly not accurate, DVR storage time seems to indicate something like this is happening. I had 13hr 7min of HD storage time available. I deleted a 1 hour show I had recorded from LogoHD and ended up with 13hr 25min available. Only a 18min difference for a 1hr show?

The available time left was set up when Dish still had mpeg2 for HD and the software has not been updated since they switched over to mpeg4. Difference would be approximately 18 minutes (mpeg4) = 1 hour (mpeg2). Dish supplies what is sent them so if they are supplying sd on the HD channel, it is because that is what LOGO is sending.

There is no Logo HD, just like there is no BETJ HD. It was simply a way of pumping up the Platinum package and of adding these channels without having to provide them to everyone with AT250 or whatever it's called now.

Now, there presumably WILL be HD versions of these channels sometime in the future. They did the same thing with WFN...picked up WFN, stuck it on an HD stream, and then switched it to WFN-HD after it launched. There's plenty of HD on that channel now, but the HD feed simply didn't exist at the time DISH launched it.

Gary is right though...the time remaining on the DVR is based on MPEG-2 and that's why it's so far off...has nothing to do with the fact that Logo is really an SD channel. The stream they are sending is still HD. Theoretically, the bit rate may be slightly less, because a pillarboxed HD picture doesn't need as much bandwidth as a 16:9.

Most channels are SD most of the time, even the HD networks are SD except for network feeds and some of the local news. But. we are getting a lot more HD now than a few years ago. How many remember the 4 hour PBS loop and the Fish channel.

Most channels are SD most of the time, even the HD networks

Yes, but in the case of Logo and BETJ, there LITERALLY is no such thing as an HD channel. They are simply the SD feeds uprezzed.

I'm sure this will change someday, but at this point in time, there is no chance of seeing any HD on these channels. They simply don't exist yet.

The BET Digicipher 2 distribution feeds are on Galaxy 14. BET East HD is running at 8.56 Mbps in Mpeg 4 while BET Jazz is running at 3.11 Mbps in Mpeg 2. I haven't been able to find any Logo HD feeds, just Logo East and West SD feeds.

Grateful for Dish LGBT programming, BUT...

I like some of the Logo programming, but I do not like Dish marketing Logo as HD. I subscribed paying the $10 monthly fee believing that I would be able to record "L Word" and "Queer as Folk" in HD as they were originally on Time Warner HD HBO. But such was not the case.

When I saw the black picture border, I called Dish Support and was told the Logo channel was supposed to be in HD. After two more calls Dish sent out a repair person to work on the "problem." I guess I should have known there was no "problem" since Dish was not also broadcasting an equivalent SD channel like Dish does for its "real" HD channels.

I do find it "curious" that two SD minority interest channels would be packaged as HD. Hopefully, Dish will push their Logo source to provide them with HD content.

There is no Logo HD, just like there is no BETJ HD. It was simply a way of pumping up the Platinum package and of adding these channels without having to provide them to everyone with AT250 or whatever it's called now...

Where's the HD on Logo?

Gees! It's hard enough to find the programming with all the commercials they cram into an hour.

It may not be HD, but the picture is much clearer than what Directv is putting out...yack!

If you look at most of viacom's channels you see that they are not really good at doing HD yet.

Some things look great one week and then the same show next week is back to a 4x3 square sd picture.

One of my local HD stations has the same problems. It constantly changes formats.

I really don't understand what all the upset is about.
Dish can only put out what they receive if there is no HD then it is the fault of LOGO or whichever channel you are watching.
Dish calls it HD because that is what LOGO says it is.
Grow up people you guys always blame Dish for things like this when it is NOT up to Dish if there is NO HD content.

What I would blame Dish for is that they are charging people for an HD channel that does not exist. It's great they have it up as a placeholder for a future HD feed, but it's misleading for DISH to label the channel as HD in their marketing and on the channel guide.

I really don't understand what all the upset is about.
Dish can only put out what they receive if there is no HD then it is the fault of LOGO or whichever channel you are watching.
Dish calls it HD because that is what LOGO says it is.
Grow up people you guys always blame Dish for things like this when it is NOT up to Dish if there is NO HD content.

What I would blame Dish for is that they are charging people for an HD channel that does not exist. It's great they have it up as a placeholder for a future HD feed, but it's misleading for DISH to label the channel as HD in their marketing and on the channel guide.
What words in the post you quoted to you not understand the meaning of?

Yes. No HD on LOGO. It is a shame because even though some content may not be HD, it is shot in wide-screen format. Beautiful People would have been great to see in HD, as I believe it is broadcast in the UK in HD, one of the shows that is. Viacom should make this an HD channel ASAP because we are paying the HD rate for it. Then again, MTV has two shows in HD. Everything else I've seen is SD (except the awards shows), but at least they leave it at original aspect ratio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts