Long Distance TV Reception - 65 Miles - Sioux Falls

rc0213

Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
I'm new to this forum. So, sorry, if I am repeating a question. I just moved to this area, about 65 miles southeast of Sioux Falls. I live in an apartment on the second floor, so I can't install an outside antenna nor put up an attic antenna.

I brought an old outdoor antenna, the ClearStream 4V with me.

So, my question is, has anyone tried putting up a TV antenna inside their home and gotten TV reception from about 65 miles away in the Sioux Falls area?

If so, what equipment (antenna, pre-amp, etc.) did you use?

Thanks in advance for your replies and input!

This is the result from Rabbitears.info after I enter my location:

RabbitEars.Info

The only way to know if it will work for you is to actually try it.

Ordinarily 65 miles is iffy with an outdoor antenna on the roof, not to mention an outdoor antenna inside.

Also, a second floor antenna is probably more like 15-20 ft above the ground, not 30 ft.

I have certainly put up outdoor antennas in my apartment more than once although I have never been to your area. Most of it was in apartments in the Los Angeles area. Since you have the equipment the best thing to do is simply try it. Connect your antenna directly to a TV with enough cable to walk around the room and try different locations.
An antenna mounted preamp is intended to make up for long cable runs and can not amplify signal that is not there. If you have any success we could recommend some clever indoor mounting ideas.
It appears that Jim5506 just beat me to it. So, I second the idea. Sound like fun to me.

There are MANY variables, it is not possible to predict the outcome. There are a bunch of VHF stations and your antenna has no VHF gain you will fall short most likely on those. Like they said give it a try. It is better than any Mudflap antenna though indoors.

If I were you and had the room for them, I would try a Stellar Labs 30-2476 for High VHF and a Xtreme Signal HDB91X for UHF. They are two best antennas in my group.

I run mine without amps. The 30-2476 pulls in stations from Toledo right through a wall at a distance of 42 miles. Even with my much closer Detroit stations, I use separate High VHF and UHF antennas. I got lucky and was able to run a combiner on those two antennas aiming at the Detroit stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)