Long-time customer, adding new receivers

the other option would be to buy a 211 (about $99). What I am trying to figure out is in the long term, whats the best receiver setup as I would like to do this just once.
3 HD tvs, 1 SD tv. Likely adding a 2nd SD in the next 10 months. Possibly replacing the original SD with another HD in the next 18 months. DVR is a must on the HD TVs, it would be great if the SDs would be able to view the HD's content. So is the best setup, 2 622s and a 211 with an external HD? and then add another 211 when the 4th HD TV arrives?

just a question but youve been w Dish for 8 years and like everything about them why be so fussy about a 2yr agreement? I just dont understand or get it? I run into this all the time and its a pet peeve of mine so sorry to vent

just a question but youve been w Dish for 8 years and like everything about them why be so fussy about a 2yr agreement? I just dont understand or get it? I run into this all the time and its a pet peeve of mine so sorry to vent

It is a fair question. But it goes both ways. Why are they so fussy about a 2 yr agreement?
There are many reasons why I am taking the short end of the stick. Changes in programming, rate hikes, lack of new technology, so and and so forth. Current performance is no guarantee of future one. I am and have been mostly happy (I hated to go without FX for a while, and they have to fix their sports offerings, and would like to see MRV). I already paid my dues, why do i need to do it again? If there was a quantifiable loss on their side I would be more willing to consider it; but all i can see is me signing a big liability ticket for very little reward. If they change anything, I dont have a way to move on, I am locked into a 2 yr agreement. All for a $100 (retail) piece of equipment? that probably only cost them 30-40 bucks. Now to all this you add, the incentives coming from other providers, (and i know that grass is not always greener on the other side), then the possibility of checking out a competitor gets more attractive. Yes i would be locked in 2 years, but we are both getting benefits. I am getting a highly subsidized system and equipment, they are getting security for 2 years. I fail to see how this is a fair shake for the current customer, I am not asking for a 722 and 922 top of the line receivers.Like someone said, this may not match their business model, and that is their right. I jsut wish they would make a better effort in customer retention.
</rant>

Zoom, unless I missed it, you have yet to tell us what you have been quoted for what receivers.

From my 3rd convo with a loyalty dpt csr, they offered the 612 receiver if i gave them a credit card and signed a new 2 yr agreement. At that point the conversation stopped since i told them I didnt want to sign a new contract. She asked why, told her and she offered $10/mo off for the next 12 months if i signed. I told her I would think about it but probably I would not do it and find a different provider.
So if there was a charge on top of that then it would be an insta-move to D*. Right now im still mulling it over but leaning D*. There is a price for my freedom to drop and move whenever i want, and thats not $10/mo. If tomorrow i have one of those VOD issues and want to leave i cant, if they drop my favorite HD channels, i wont be able to.

I feel it is a high price to pay, beyond financial, to sign a new 2 yr

Sorry, but I can't say I feel much sympathy for your position. You have options, but you seem to be stuck in your principles and not doing enough math. All the reasons you previously gave for like being with Dish are the reasons you should paying more attention to them, because you will be in totally different worlds if you switch. And you do realize, don't you, that you are going to be in a 2 year commitment wherever you go? IMO, your GIMME factor is a little too high. Go buy a 222K if you don't want to commit. But otherwise.....

Sorry, but I can't say I feel much sympathy for your position. You have options, but you seem to be stuck in your principles and not doing enough math. All the reasons you previously gave for like being with Dish are the reasons you should paying more attention to them, because you will be in totally different worlds if you switch. And you do realize, don't you, that you are going to be in a 2 year commitment wherever you go? IMO, your GIMME factor is a little too high. Go buy a 222K if you don't want to commit. But otherwise.....

Thats fair. I never said i was not crazy. Can you expand?
I am trying to do the math, i think I posted it in the OP. It could be wrong but not by much.

This is what im seeing at DTV:
$180 gift card through Costco
Premier with all the movies, etc
$57 for months 1-3 (includes $10 off on top of their offers for a referral)
$101 for months 3-10 (includes $10 off on top of their offers for a referral)
$111 for months 11-12
$140 for months 12-24
-------
$2774 over the next 2 years

Equipment would be:
1 HD DVR free
1 HD free
1 SD free
1 HD $99
(I might consider adding another HD DVR but dont think I need it, it would be more of a hedge against future need. If i did it would cost another $99)
-----------
$99

My current plan at Dish:
$135/mo for 12 months (it was $145 until recently with HD Platinum, but it is now free for 12 months.)
$145/mo for 12 months
--------------------
$3360 for the next 2 years. After talking to CSR they offered $10 off for the first 12 months. so that would bring it down to $3240
This is with no equipment cost. I havent accounted for any upfront fee for the receivers (if any) and the lease fee. Keep in mind im not getting top of the line receivers here. I would over at D*.

So what am i missing? Per my math, the difference is in the 550-600 over the next 2 years.
I do realize I would be in a 2 year commitment, but I would be getting the 2 year commitment benefits (in the form of subsidized programming, etc).
I am considering buying a 211k, it is at $110 shipped on ebay. But dont really care to own these equipment. Would i still have to pay an equipment fee?

When I said math, I meant the math of purchasing a receiver vs a 2 yr commitment. I was not inviting comparisons to other providers. It seems that the commitment for not purchasing is a real issue with you. And you will be in one if you go to D*

Well, I sympathize. We ought to demand something for a 2-yr one-way commitment. If they offered a 612 for free in return for a 2-yr commitment, then I would expect the OP would go for it. They are not doing this; they are offering to lease a receiver that they will get back in the end. Cable companies are (or were the last time I subscribed) a whole lot more reasonable about their STB leases and commitments. Cell phone companies are likewise more reasonable about the commitments, though they too have escalated out to 2 years just because they can. When I commit to another 2 years, I get a fancy cell phone to keep.

Sorry, I misunderstood your comment. Well thats what I am trying to balance out. It is an issue and I would think that it is also for many people. My biggest concern is how quickly things can change on their end and in what position I would be if i wanted to move on. Look at customers that have the issue with VOD, many of them would leave now, but have to ride out the contract. I dont want to be stuck.

I am not a Dish basher, like I said i never had any major problems with them. At least nothing they couldnt solve.

Well, I sympathize. We ought to demand something for a 2-yr one-way commitment. If they offered a 612 for free in return for a 2-yr commitment, then I would expect the OP would go for it. They are not doing this; they are offering to lease a receiver that they will get back in the end. Cable companies are (or were the last time I subscribed) a whole lot more reasonable about their STB leases and commitments.

The way I see it, this is a 1 way street for them. They get me for 2 years and i get nothing in return (ok, $10/mo after complaining about it).

From a business perspective I am curious why the industry encourages churn instead of encouraging long-term loyalty. It MUST be cheaper to maintain a customer than to acquire a new one, take in consideration the investment they already made to acquire one and maintaining should be a no brainer but they seem more interested in stealing customers from each other, even if it costs them more moneyto do that than to keep one that is considering a move.

I would have though all those MBAs and bean counters would be all over that.

Yep, around in circles! :)

But I can understand why too. For me, it is easy to stay with E* because I don't care about MRV, nor sports other than boxing and golf, and the 2 event at a time limit on recording would just be a bother, and I like the more national HD channels. So as I said, simple for me.

But I can certainly understand someone trying to figure out how to get the most bang for the buck that has a few different priorities than I do. And it is rather irritating that new customers get gold while we only get the flakes of it... :)

The way I see it, this is a 1 way street for them.
I'm pretty sure you'll be getting an additional wire run down from the dish and someone will come to your residence and install the new receiver as well. This is a service that someone who is swapping out a receiver doesn't get (and wouldn't want to be on the hook for).

i made my points, no more going in circles. Im just waiting to hear back from Tony@dish

hahaha. If he does I'll make sure to get on your side when it is your turn to upgrade.
i dont know. he offered to help so i figured i would give him a chance.
I am still doing research an I think I would come to terms with a 2yr agreement if i get some of the benefits of such agreement. 10/mo wont cut it, but if there is a true upgrade in equipment it is something I would consider. No tracking back though, Im still doing my research on D*.

hahaha. If he does I'll make sure to get on your side when it is your turn to upgrade.
i dont know. he offered to help so i figured i would give him a chance.
I am still doing research an I think I would come to terms with a 2yr agreement if i get some of the benefits of such agreement. 10/mo wont cut it, but if there is a true upgrade in equipment it is something I would consider. No tracking back though, Im still doing my research on D*.

Never gonna happen. All eyes are on YOU. And, there Won't be. You're done.

Ok. I have an update. I was able to work out a deal with Dish Network that i feel was fair, I think I could have possibly gotten more but I am happy with what they gave me.

This is what my account now looks like:
Equipment:
- 1 722 receiver (upgraded from a 622)
- 2 612 receivers (upgraded from a 622)
- No charge for the upgrade
- Tech visit since I would need new cabling and switch setup. No charge

Programming:
- I have the AT250 with HBO and SHO.
- Free Starz for a year
- Free HS Platinum for a year
- $5/mo off for 1 year

They also included a note in my account that if the 612s are defective in the first year I would get a replacement under the same terms as if i had the service plan. I wanted the service plan but they wouldnt agree to that.
I did sign a new 2 year agreement and i feel like i got a fair shake.

Thank you everyone for your opinions and good wishes (kab :)). Thank you to Tony for his offer to help.
Im back on the bandwagon...

No lets hope that they can continue to improve the software and get us MRV or something like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts